Coronavirus and WHC

member 305909

Next year's tournament will be delayed by two weeks so it begins on May 21 and goes on to June.

The reason for the delay is that national leagues may take longer to complete if they can't start at the usual point in the autumn.

The lower divisions of the worlds won't be played next year either.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Next year's tournament will be delayed by two weeks so it begins on May 21 and goes on to June.

The reason for the delay is that national leagues may take longer to complete if they can't start at the usual point in the autumn.

Now in this extraordinary situation, even the European conservative hockey officials & IIHF agree to organise the IIHF World in late May. Would be great if they keep playing the World on this late date in the future as well.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

Is that confirmed ?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah, great, you are North American and don't have an interest in the World Championship. We are all collectively amazed, thanks for providing us with this extraordinary piece of information.
I was just trying to be funny. I always enjoy the late rounds and World Championship playoffs.

Still, if it's between the WJRs and the WC, I will choose the WJR's every time.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
With the greedy folks in the nhl changing the schedule for the foreseeable future, will that mean no nhl players in the World Championships for at least 3-4 years?

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
When did the NHL say that they're adjusting the schedule for the foreseeable future? I know the're trying to hold playoffs this year, and it will likely (but to my knowledge, this hasn't been confirmed) start next season late, but that's all I've heard. Plus, isn't there another lockout on the horizon?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
When did the NHL say that they're adjusting the schedule for the foreseeable future? I know the're trying to hold playoffs this year, and it will likely (but to my knowledge, this hasn't been confirmed) start next season late, but that's all I've heard. Plus, isn't there another lockout on the horizon?
It will be tough to go back for the NHL if they start next season in say January.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Switzerland:

- will post a candidature for 2026
- would be ready for 2023 if Russland is not allowed to host
- won't be cohosting with Latvia 2021.

Reactions: KTl

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Switzerland:

- will post a candidature for 2026
- would be ready for 2023 if Russland is not allowed to host
- won't be cohosting with Latvia 2021.
bold is out of the question, and always has been. Saint Petersburg will host that championship.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
We'll see that. If the CAS upholds the ban for Russia I see no possibility for the IIHF not to follow that.
But of course I have no insight. Calling it "out of question" is clearly wrong though. Switzerland wouldn't prepare for that option if it was completley out of question.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
We'll see that. If the CAS upholds the ban for Russia I see no possibility for the IIHF not to follow that.
But of course I have no insight. Calling it "out of question" is clearly wrong though. Switzerland wouldn't prepare for that option if it was completley out of question.
That is obviously your opinion. And it is fine. I just say that we live in 2020 and close it will be 2021. The rhetoric of the past is not working anymore. But as you say, we will see.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
They actually already banned them. Russia contested that decision in front of the CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport). I hope will get a final decision from there soon.

As far as I know they could contest that verdict again in front of the highest Swiss court. But I'm not sure about that. And if the ban is final the IIHF would have to follow that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad