Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
My yoga studio is offering classes by Zoom which is awesome.

But technology can't solve everything... My baby sister is supposed to get married in mid-April. So... Yeah.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
This sucksssss. This is the best time of the year for sports with March Madness, NHL and NBA playoffs, NFL offseason stuff, spring training, NCAA lacrosse (I know most people don't care about lacrosse), etc. I guess it's just sinking in for me that we're supposed to be talking about Ovi scoring 50 and how Todd Rierden ruins everything and the bracket that's supposed to be released tomorrow on Selection Sunday and yeah, this is a total bummer.
April is the best time of year bro, at least my favorite. Starts to warm up, I get to work on my yard and grill out. NHL playoffs, the Masters, now they’ve canceled something in the water festival here in VA beach I was looking forward too. This really sucks

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
This has got to hurt the Caps. Dillon and Kovalhcuk needed to develop chemistry with the team before the playoffs started, and
now they wont get a chance to do it.

And the Penguins will get Guentzel back when play resumes. Double whammy.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
The only way I can see NHL functioning any time soon is to run the whole playoffs (forget reg. season) in one city/area, Olympics style -- with frequent/daily testing and overall quarantine, and ofc no fans.

And even then you can't fully justify it until there are plenty of surplus test kits available, which in the US might not exactly be "soon".

In fact, quarantined Olympics-style no-fans events are the only format for sports that I can see until people are able to really eradicate/cure/vaccinate against this thing. Otherwise one sick player immediately shuts you down for like a month, not to mention the human cost of additional transmission.

The next several weeks should really reveal the extent of what's coming. But that picture of Bourbon street is sheer madness -- it reminds me of pictures of tranquility in the USSR near Chernobyl in the days after the meltdown (my family lived 100km away, btw) -- only the human cost from COVID-19 could be very significantly higher.

I guess this is as good a place as any to share a personal PSA. My sister, mother, aunt are all practicing or retired MDs. FWIW, as a family, since ~Mar 5 we've been basically under the maximum quarantine we can achieve. Some >70 yr old family members are under complete quarantine, i.e. zero human contact and delivery of everything. I/we think it's the only way to go (if at all achievable) until there are signs of the situation stabilizing, which could be a long way off.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The thing I dont understand yet is why we dont have the virus spreaded so far. As I said nobody is wearing masks or avoiding contact. As soon as I tell I wont shake hands ppl are asking if im ok?! So nobody is preparing... yet it isnt here. Or we arent being told that (though I have connections and they say tests are ongoing).

KHL is playing too.

However I think in 2 weeks situation will change (and KHL be shut down too).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The thing I dont understand yet is why we dont have the virus spreaded so far. As I said nobody is wearing masks or avoiding contact. As soon as I tell I wont shake hands ppl are asking if im ok?! So nobody is preparing... yet it isnt here. Or we arent being told that (though I have connections and they say tests are ongoing).

KHL is playing too.

However I think in 2 weeks situation will change (and KHL be shut down too).

Coronavirus in Russia: The Latest News - The Moscow Times

Russia: coronavirus (COVID-19) cases by region 2020 | Statista

There's been a lot going on, it's just been doubling every few days if these stats are accurate.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Different countries are reacting at different speeds. Yesterday New Zealand announced that every single person who arrives must go into 14 day self isolation (the means they have to go home and stay there, having food or whatever else delivered). There are no exceptions, ie: it includes New Zealand citizens returning from vacations or business trips etc.

Tonight here in Australia they have just done the same thing. They (the government) have announced that people who have been put into self isolation face a $13,000 fine if they are found to have left their homes. The govt further claims that police will be doing random spot checks (turning up on your doorstep) to ensure that you are home. How realistic this is I don't know - it is likely more a "scare tactic" to try and get people to take the self isolation seriously. I have to admit when it was announced it created something of a "big brother / martial law" type feeling. I don't like the idea of being told what to do or controlled, be it by government or a police force or a military force. I understand the goal is to slow the rate of infection, and I have already taken measures to do that (limited social contact, etc), but it does create a feeling of unease. What happens next? What new rules are brought into place and what kind of controls are put on us? I guess what I'm trying to say is: how far is a govt prepared to go to act in what they believe are the best interests of it's citizens, and to enforce those rules, etc? It worries me a little.

I would ignore the Chinese data. I think you have to do because you simply cannot trust them to be transparent and honest. They continue to claim only about 50 people per day are newly infected and that almost everybody there has now recovered. That just doesn't make sense to me.
It is now ramping up in Spain and cases are increasing by about 20 to 25 percent per day in the U.S. The recovery rate in Italy is still very low and their cases continue to go up by about 15 percent a day. I will be very interested to watch over the next couple of weeks the rate of recovery in places like Italy, Spain and the U.S (and other countries where the cases start to climb quickly), because this will really provide us with more accurate data.

It hasn't even taken hold in places like Africa, India or the Middle East yet. Things could get really scary in those places.

Unfortunately all of this just makes me believe pretty strongly (and with great sadness) that this is it for hockey and pretty much all other sports, for the next few months. There is a really crappy irony to it all: we are being told to stay home and it would be the ideal time to enjoy sport as a way of escaping from all of the doom and gloom. We can't even do that.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Different countries are reacting at different speeds. Yesterday New Zealand announced that every single person who arrives must go into 14 day self isolation (the means they have to go home and stay there, having food or whatever else delivered). There are no exceptions, ie: it includes New Zealand citizens returning from vacations or business trips etc.

Tonight here in Australia they have just done the same thing. They (the government) have announced that people who have been put into self isolation face a $13,000 fine if they are found to have left their homes. The govt further claims that police will be doing random spot checks (turning up on your doorstep) to ensure that you are home. How realistic this is I don't know - it is likely more a "scare tactic" to try and get people to take the self isolation seriously. I have to admit when it was announced it created something of a "big brother / martial law" type feeling. I don't like the idea of being told what to do or controlled, be it by government or a police force or a military force. I understand the goal is to slow the rate of infection, and I have already taken measures to do that (limited social contact, etc), but it does create a feeling of unease. What happens next? What new rules are brought into place and what kind of controls are put on us? I guess what I'm trying to say is: how far is a govt prepared to go to act in what they believe are the best interests of it's citizens, and to enforce those rules, etc? It worries me a little.

I would ignore the Chinese data. I think you have to do because you simply cannot trust them to be transparent and honest. They continue to claim only about 50 people per day are newly infected and that almost everybody there has now recovered. That just doesn't make sense to me.
It is now ramping up in Spain and cases are increasing by about 20 to 25 percent per day in the U.S. The recovery rate in Italy is still very low and their cases continue to go up by about 15 percent a day. I will be very interested to watch over the next couple of weeks the rate of recovery in places like Italy, Spain and the U.S (and other countries where the cases start to climb quickly), because this will really provide us with more accurate data.

It hasn't even taken hold in places like Africa, India or the Middle East yet. Things could get really scary in those places.

Unfortunately all of this just makes me believe pretty strongly (and with great sadness) that this is it for hockey and pretty much all other sports, for the next few months. There is a really crappy irony to it all: we are being told to stay home and it would be the ideal time to enjoy sport as a way of escaping from all of the doom and gloom. We can't even do that.

Re: China, all I can say is I have business connections globally and a contact there says things have been slowly getting back to normal with some modifications over the last week or so. This is not a government entity reporting this info. That puts the overall timeline from onset to "slowly getting back to normal" at about 2-3 months. Whether or not the USA has a similar trajectory is unknown.

While the virus is not to be taken lightly, many people in the USA are panicking regarding service disruptions, as displayed by the panic shopping. Even in Italy they're leaving open grocery stores and pharmacies while everything else shuts down. Here in MD the governor has set up a daycare program so emergency personnel can still work.

It's not the zombie apocalypse people have been fantasizing about for the last 20 years, but it is a real pandemic that requires people do their part.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Coronavirus in Russia: The Latest News - The Moscow Times

Russia: coronavirus (COVID-19) cases by region 2020 | Statista

There's been a lot going on, it's just been doubling every few days if these stats are accurate.

This is nothing. Ppl from Moscow fly to Italy for tourism/shopping every day. As the virus got to Italy ~the end January there was no shortage of contacts all Feb and later. This is what's interesting. Either our tests arent good or it didnt spread that much.

Also we dont have anything similar to this:

PS: There was a report yesterday or Friday that they have done about 100k tests and got only 40+ cases out of it.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is nothing. Ppl from Moscow fly to Italy for tourism/shopping every day. As the virus got to Italy ~the end January there was no shortage of contacts all Feb and later. This is what's interesting. Either our tests arent good or it didnt spread that much.

Also we dont have anything similar to this:

PS: There was a report yesterday or Friday that they have done about 100k tests and got only 40+ cases out of it.

This seems to indicate slow spread probably due to some aggressive crackdown measures.

2020 coronavirus pandemic in Russia - Wikipedia

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I would ignore the Chinese data. I think you have to do because you simply cannot trust them to be transparent and honest
I would too, but they're so great at making an order from chaos. Do you remember Olympics opening ceremony?
I doubt there were panic at all, not like in western countries with much more freedom.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Another thing: Moscow metro is still open.

My record: I didnt manage to get in until 4th train came. And Im visiting Moscow very rarely.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I take comfort in the fact that if he attempts to sell at inflated prices now, it's a federal crime.

I hope he tries to now and gets charged.

This is why we can't have nice things:

Colvin said he was simply fixing "inefficiencies in the marketplace." Some areas of the country need these products more than others, and he's helping send the supply toward the demand.

"There's a crushing overwhelming demand in certain cities right now," he said. "The Dollar General in the middle of nowhere outside of Lexington, Kentucky, doesn't have that."

He thought about it more.

"I honestly feel like it's a public service," he added. "I'm being paid for my public service."

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I hope he tries to now and gets charged.

This is why we can't have nice things:

Colvin said he was simply fixing "inefficiencies in the marketplace." Some areas of the country need these products more than others, and he's helping send the supply toward the demand.

"There's a crushing overwhelming demand in certain cities right now," he said. "The Dollar General in the middle of nowhere outside of Lexington, Kentucky, doesn't have that."

He thought about it more.

"I honestly feel like it's a public service," he added. "I'm being paid for my public service."
So dense. He's creating the marketplace inefficiency. Shocked this guy gave his name for the article, he's going to have to legally change it and move. What an immoral POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad