OT: Coronavirus and General O/T Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
The hospitals don't need to be overwhelmed at all, because even most that have it don't need the hospital and they can't do anything for you anyway, unless you have a severe. If you have a mild case you quarantine for 14 days and then you will be fine.

Way way way less than 5% of the people that have gotten it, have had severe cases of it. That is why Covid is overblown by about 1000%. Yes it is a disease and it is of course devastating for the families that lost loved ones, but it is so far from anything resembling an actual pandemic. Over 95% of the people with it, recover. If it was an actual pandemic we would be talking massive death totals and much much higher amount of people that have a serious bout of it.

Actual pandemics like the Spanish Flu wiped out at least 50% of the people that got it, and many more were severely ill and near death.
COVID-19 Surges In Rural Communities, Overwhelming Some Local Hospitals

Also, 675,000 people died of the Spanish flu in total in the U.S.

We're already at a third of that, we haven't even peaked, it's not winter and it's not flu season yet, and there's no vaccine yet.

And this is 100 years later with all the advances in sanitation and medicine that entails.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

We're already at a third of that, we haven't even peaked, it's not winter and it's not flu season yet, and there's no vaccine yet.

And this is 100 years later with all the advances in sanitation and medicine that entails.
USA population in 1920 was 106 million, now it is only legals 350 mil. Multiply 675000 4 times you are getting 2.7 mil if you project Spanish flu in today .

Reactions: Oddbob

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

You aren’t taking into account the changes in population density. But what do I know, I don’t have a degree.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Wow, look at you guys. So f***in smart with your "population density" shit. Doesn't change a thing. Irrelevant to the point I was making. Deaths are deaths. If a bomb explodes and kills 1000 people do you have to ask what the population is to determine whether or not that's bad? "Gee it's only 1000 out of 300 million so who cares". 200,000 deaths is 200,000 deaths.

Was the Spanish flu a big deal? Pretty sure most historians would say yes, it was a really big f***ing deal. Well it killed 675,000 people in the U.S.

Covid has ALREADY killed a third of that. Already. And we're just getting started.

You really want to talk about percentages? Fine. Let's throw in a factor of 4 to satisfy the math wizzes in the audience. Now we're at a twelfth. So the Spanish flu was a really big f***ing deal and Covid has already killed a twelfth of that.

And we're just starting to hit winter and flu season and rural hospitals are starting to get overwhelmed. Where is it going to end? If the death toll doubles, will you acknowledge that? Or does it literally have to be equal to the Spanish flu before it will grab your attention?

By the way, there's no end in sight. How long did it take to cure HIV?

Last edited:
Reactions: SirloinUB

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Do you have a degree in epidemiology? Not to make this about COVID, but you keep thinking that, and we will be having this conversation next year as well. With that, back to the subject of the conversation.

No, but I have common sense, something many people seem to have thrown out the window because of the overblown reality of covid.

Reactions: lilidk

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wow, look at you guys. So f***in smart with your "population density" shit. Doesn't change a thing. Irrelevant to the point I was making. Deaths are deaths. If a bomb explodes and kills 1000 people do you have to ask what the population is to determine whether or not that's bad? "Gee it's only 1000 out of 300 million so who cares". 200,000 deaths is 200,000 deaths.

Was the Spanish flu a big deal? Pretty sure most historians would say yes, it was a really big f***ing deal. Well it killed 675,000 people in the U.S.

Covid has ALREADY killed a third of that. Already. And we're just getting started.

You really want to talk about percentages? Fine. Let's throw in a factor of 4 to satisfy the math wizzes in the audience. Now we're at a twelfth. So the Spanish flu was a really big f***ing deal and Covid has already killed a twelfth of that.

And we're just starting to hit winter and flu season and rural hospitals are starting to get overwhelmed. Where is it going to end? If the death toll doubles, will you acknowledge that? Or does it literally have to be equal to the Spanish flu before it will grab your attention?

Have you looked at the death totals of all the other current diseases from just this year? Covid the entire Worldwide isn't in the Top 10, and it isn't even close. Also, many of those diseases have cures and still run away with the death totals. This "pandemic" we are in has no cure yet, and it still only has a little over a million deaths on a planet of 7.5 BILLION people. That doesn't even take into account the many many deaths that have been attributed to Covid and weren't actually Covid. I know of 3 in my area alone, where the family was told their family member died of Covid but all of them died of other reasons. There was also one in the US where a kid died of "Covid" yet his parents came out and said he died in a household accident not related to Covid at all. There are very likely many non Covid related deaths that have been blamed on Covid.

Covid was also only reported to be around in November-December, which means it was around before that as it wouldn't have hit the media for awhile, and China kept it secret for a bit. Hospitals in China were getting overrun with symptoms people in August of last year.

But keep locking down the World and wearing masks until a vaccine comes out in 2048 (if they even find one) that may or may not be more harmful than Covid itself. Also, no one is making light of death, as people dying is bad, but we still need to live our normal lives, and this is not something to be shutting down stuff over. Also who says we are just getting started? Back in March-May they were talking about 2.5 million Americans alone could die this year from Covid alone, and how there would be a devastating 2nd wave and here we are 8 months later and we aren't anywhere close to their projections.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
ok, back to the basement then. No life for any of us.
Wear a mask, stay away from people when you're out, and plan carefully and you can do a lot more than you think.

But, please: let's hear more public health lectures from completely unqualified people. We need to hit the "but mah rights!" angle still.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Have you looked at the death totals of all the other current diseases from just this year? Covid the entire Worldwide isn't in the Top 10, and it isn't even close. Also, many of those diseases have cures and still run away with the death totals. This "pandemic" we are in has no cure yet, and it still only has a little over a million deaths on a planet of 7.5 BILLION people. That doesn't even take into account the many many deaths that have been attributed to Covid and weren't actually Covid. I know of 3 in my area alone, where the family was told their family member died of Covid but all of them died of other reasons. There was also one in the US where a kid died of "Covid" yet his parents came out and said he died in a household accident not related to Covid at all. There are very likely many non Covid related deaths that have been blamed on Covid.

Covid was also only reported to be around in November-December, which means it was around before that as it wouldn't have hit the media for awhile, and China kept it secret for a bit. Hospitals in China were getting overrun with symptoms people in August of last year.

But keep locking down the World and wearing masks until a vaccine comes out in 2048 (if they even find one) that may or may not be more harmful than Covid itself. Also, no one is making light of death, as people dying is bad, but we still need to live our normal lives, and this is not something to be shutting down stuff over. Also who says we are just getting started? Back in March-May they were talking about 2.5 million Americans alone could die this year from Covid alone, and how there would be a devastating 2nd wave and here we are 8 months later and we aren't anywhere close to their projections.
Ya know for self-consistency I just hope at least that you have the same attitude about 9/11.

Big deal, it only killed 3,000 people.

Big deal, there are still 7.5 BILLION people left alive.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
there are more ways to acquire knowledge than to have a professor read to you from a book.

If this is what you truly believe a university science degree consists of, then I'm not surprised you don't hold it, and the advice of those that put in that work, in much regard.

Reactions: RayMoonDoh

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
If this is what you truly believe a university science degree consists of, then I'm not surprised you don't hold it, and the advice of those that put in that work, in much regard.
I hold both in high regard. It’s not easy to obtain a degree. I have a bachelors in mechanical engineering. Most of what I learned is readily available to the general public without dropping 10-40 G’s per year. But you need the paper to get the job.

the fun thing about science is you can find compelling studies to fit whatever conclusion you want to arrive to. All done by professionals with equal qualifications.

Just about everything is a theory.

Reactions: Oddbob

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
the fun thing about science is you can find compelling studies to fit whatever conclusion you want to arrive to. All done by professionals with equal qualifications.

Just about everything is a theory.
Jesus if I facepalm any harder my hand is going to be lost forever. The worst thing the media ever did is convince the masses to believe this shit. Every conclusion is not equal. This is not how science works. Your uncle's facebook memes are not equal to the mountains of data collected by people actually working in the field. Just because you're convinced the Earth is flat doesn't mean you have a valid opinion and it certainly doesn't mean whatever route you took to get there can reasonably be referred to as "science".

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
ok, back to the basement then. No life for any of us.

I can only postulate that's business as usual for you if you're talking about being in the basement. Just out of curiousity, what are you missing out on outside of attending live sports/concerts? Restaurants are open, rec sports leagues are open, pretty much all businesses are open so what's the rub?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I can only postulate that's business as usual for you if you're talking about being in the basement. Just out of curiousity, what are you missing out on outside of attending live sports/concerts? Restaurants are open, rec sports leagues are open, pretty much all businesses are open so what's the rub?

Come to Los Angeles and tell me things are basically normal here.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Come to Los Angeles and tell me things are basically normal here.

First off, that answers nothing I asked you. Your "no life post" insinuates you should be able to live as you see fit, your "shit ain't normal here" post makes it seem like you're in dire straights and maybe you should be in basement. So what's the deal?

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

Actually, I have not looked at the death totals from other diseases this year. Could you list them? I'm curious as to how many of them are communicable, you know, like Covid? I don't really worry about catching cancer or malaria when I go to the store so I'm curious to see the list to support the relevance of your argument.

Now, I'm going to help you with your use of the word "pandemic". I have it in quotes to signal the subject matter at hand. You have it in quotes to purport increduality of the legitimacy of the word. A pandemic is a disease that is spread over multiple countries. I'd say covid qualifies. I get the feeling it would take a worldwide spread of ebola and bodies in the streets to satiate you as a legit pandemic though. No one said this was "The Stand".

Last point, the world is not locked down. It may feel that way since so many countries are banning travel from Murica, the covid capitol of earth. What are you missing out on right now?

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Communicable diseases transmit more widely and faster in places of high population density.

225,000 of 315 million is a whole hell of a lot different than 675,000 of 106 million. Yes. 225,000 is a lot of deaths. It is a shitload of deaths and it definitely is a big deal.

But don’t you remember the flatten the curve research from early on in the pandemic? There were large swaths of the American public who didn’t take the Spanish Flu seriously either. We had the history to try to “flatten the curve” because we saw how catastrophic it was to not do so in places like Philadelphia back in 1918.

No, the problem in the United States of it not being taken seriously enough is we currently have a toddler in the White House who tries to downplay it at every turn. We have an Orange supreme leader who is focused on the stock market as THE measure of whether our economy is doing well and who trumpets how much better he is than his political opponent because he is drawing tens of thousands of people into cramped arenas during a pandemic where every single Heath organization on the planet is telling everyone to keep away from as much close physical contact as possible

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Jesus if I facepalm any harder my hand is going to be lost forever. The worst thing the media ever did is convince the masses to believe this shit. Every conclusion is not equal. This is not how science works. Your uncle's facebook memes are not equal to the mountains of data collected by people actually working in the field. Just because you're convinced the Earth is flat doesn't mean you have a valid opinion and it certainly doesn't mean whatever route you took to get there can reasonably be referred to as "science".
Lots of assumptions here. I don’t use social media. I do read scientific journals and research peer reviewed studies. And yes I’ve read many studies that come to contrasting conclusions.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Ah yes, like gravity.
Evolution. While I believe it, it is a theory and unproven. Many of the things we take as FACT simply aren’t scientifically proven.

gravity is a good example. Einstein’s theory of realitivity (popularly referred to as E=mc2) was taken as fact up until recently with the growing acceptance of super string theory (which contradicts Einstein in a number of ways)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Umm, there are plenty of highly qualified people in the science field who believe the opposite of you on this issue. Scientists disagree on stuff all the time, and both sides have equal qualifications.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Evolution. While I believe it, it is a theory and unproven. Many of the things we take as FACT simply aren’t scientifically proven.

"Just a Theory": 7 Misused Science Words

2. Just a theory?
Climate-change deniers and creationists have deployed the word "theory" to cast doubt on climate change and evolution.

"It's as though it weren't true because it's just a theory," Allain said.

That's despite the fact that an overwhelming amount of evidence supports both human-caused climate change and Darwin's theory of evolution.

Part of the problem is that the word "theory" means something very different in lay language than it does in science: A scientific theory is an explanation of some aspect of the natural world that has been substantiated through repeated experiments or testing. But to the average Jane or Joe, a theory is just an idea that lives in someone's head, rather than an explanation rooted in experiment and testing.

You're being trapped by the word theory, a common issue, so you're not alone. What makes evolution a fact in the science world, among virtually everyone, is the overwhelming amount of evidence behind it. Evidence that has been collected and reproduced by countless authors over generations around the world. When something holds firm over, and over, and over, and over... the debate among reputable folks dies fast.

Any critics of evolution, and they were always on shaky ground, had their views caved in completely when DNA sequencing arrived on the scene. DNA sequencing has shown, without fail the same result every single time - common ancestors that can be cleanly traced via genomes.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Actually, I have not looked at the death totals from other diseases this year. Could you list them? I'm curious as to how many of them are communicable, you know, like Covid? I don't really worry about catching cancer or malaria when I go to the store so I'm curious to see the list to support the relevance of your argument.

Now, I'm going to help you with your use of the word "pandemic". I have it in quotes to signal the subject matter at hand. You have it in quotes to purport increduality of the legitimacy of the word. A pandemic is a disease that is spread over multiple countries. I'd say covid qualifies. I get the feeling it would take a worldwide spread of ebola and bodies in the streets to satiate you as a legit pandemic though. No one said this was "The Stand".

Last point, the world is not locked down. It may feel that way since so many countries are banning travel from Murica, the covid capitol of earth. What are you missing out on right now?

If it is so darn contagious how come their is a mega church in the US that has over 7000 people attend their weekly services without face-masks and without social distancing and exactly zero people from that church have anything related to Covid. Something so deadly contagious wouldn't have 7000 people all in the same small part of the world and none of them are catching it. My aunt in her mid 60s who catches everything, including 2-3 flus every single year, has Type 1 diabetes and many other ailments came into contact with someone who had covid and she didn't catch it. If anyone could catch it she would be the one that would and yet nothing. Or how about that virtually everyone that gets it not only survives but have basically nothing more than the flu. Do you wear masks and refrain from normal living for the flu or any of the other contagions that could make you sick. There are countless things in the air known for causing all kinds of cancers, do you wear masks and refrain from normal living for those. Also want to add, the flu which has a cure kills 50-60,000 people every season.

That doesn't even begin to touch that most (95+%) of the people who have it seriously and have passed on were 70+ with known medical conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad