OT: Coronavirus and General O/T Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
New Thread for an Old Topic. Copy/pasted these three rules from the other thread, and added a fourth. A quick heads-up for folks, but the politics thing might get more stringently enforced. The last thread got ugly the more it got brought up, but we also know it can be a fine line where C19 is concerned.

1. No Politics. I know this can, and likely will, get fuzzy at times but we need to do our best to police ourselves on this front. Please, report something that feels overly political rather than respond to it. We may not immediately act upon it, but it will be noticed.

2. Refrain from rumor/scare mongering. What will help in this regard is posting links to back up assertions. This also means we need to try to be aware of validity of our links and sources. We all give Eklund rumors a bit of an eye roll. Same thing here. If you read something that seems overly scary/weird/stupid/etc. look into it a bit more before posting it. If the only source is some schmuck on twitter or Bob's Wacky Website of Crazy Rants, well, it might just be crap.

3. Be patient with each other. This whole thing sucks, and all of us have skin in the game. I have older parents, younger kids, and a whole assortment of extended family and in-laws. Then there are work issues, vacations getting FUBARed, and an assortment of other things. The short of it is that all of us have a lot of stressors acting upon us in this thing, and sometimes we need to vent -even if we don't realize it. If someone seems to be going off the deep end with a post, maybe just chalk it up to that and move on rather than throwing gasoline on the fire.

4. We need to keep the posts safe for everyone. People of all ages and backgrounds read this thing and this place needs to be a welcoming environment for everyone.

Reactions: MBH and jkutswings

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Some guy on Reddit calculated this in an offseason shitpost.

We are 14th in terms of mathematical skin in the game

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
On the lighter side, any Farmington Hills people want to represent?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Here's my shower thought for the day...
Which sport is going to offer a legitimate VR experience first?

I'm not big into VR, I don't even own a headset, but I'm imagining they could plant some 360 cameras in the stadium and mic up a great viewing location. The experience, if they could make it HD and not laggy, would be the next best thing to sitting at the game. If done well, I'd imagine it could be really immersive.

I know sports have toyed with this idea and they offer things similar, but to my knowledge it's all been pretty basic.

It feels like a sports season during a pandemic would be the perfect time to roll this out. I'd pay extra if it worked well and look like a nerd on my couch.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Here's my shower thought for the day...
Which sport is going to offer a legitimate VR experience first?

I'm not big into VR, I don't even own a headset, but I'm imagining they could plant some 360 cameras in the stadium and mic up a great viewing location. The experience, if they could make it HD and not laggy, would be the next best thing to sitting at the game. If done well, I'd imagine it could be really immersive.

I know sports have toyed with this idea and they offer things similar, but to my knowledge it's all been pretty basic.

It feels like a sports season during a pandemic would be the perfect time to roll this out. I'd pay extra if it worked well and look like a nerd on my couch.

I'd definitely try it out once but I feel like the novelty would get old quick for me. I go to a game to really be present in that arena. Beyond that, a TV screen sans headset is great enough.

I want to say MLB because they have the money to try it and the pace of baseball would be a nice trial run to see how often motion sickness happens, if at all. That'd be pretty interesting but that's also a freakish amount of cameras, haha. Can't help but picture something like the farm in The Matrix.

Also (Re: VR) you've never been visually curious on what it would be like to be a cat (VR Game "Catify")? Or dog?

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Meanwhile back in my home city...

*Don't watch at work or around any kiddos. There are drunk kids referencing drugs and sexual acts.

Wow! Some real brainiacs there. Hopefully none of those knuckleheads get too sick or spread the virus to someone who will.
I think that age group is gonna choose partying, getting drunk and chasing girls over staying safe most of the time, unfortunately.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wow! Some real brainiacs there. Hopefully none of those knuckleheads get too sick or spread the virus to someone who will.
I think that age group is gonna choose partying, getting drunk and chasing girls over staying safe most of the time, unfortunately.

Are you still in the UP?

The good news is that the area has been mostly isolated from the virus, so the odds they were passing it around is pretty small. But you worry about people driving in from other areas and such.

When I went back there the other month, I was terrified I'd the guy to bring the virus to the UP, and everyone would know it was me, and I'd be shamed and blacklisted for life, ha. That seems dramatic, but a guy from downstate went to open up his camp for the summer and later found out he had the virus. And everyone in the UP knew about this lone guy from downstate that might have brought the virus. Small towns are ripe for good gossip.

But yeah, young people feeling invulnerable is a tale as old as time. I've been watching All Gas No Brakes for a few years on Youtube and so imagine my surprise when they travel to my little ol' city for a story. Usually the guy just goes to music fests or UFO conventions. And last month they posted a video in Minneapolis about the riots.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd definitely try it out once but I feel like the novelty would get old quick for me. I go to a game to really be present in that arena. Beyond that, a TV screen sans headset is great enough.

I want to say MLB because they have the money to try it and the pace of baseball would be a nice trial run to see how often motion sickness happens, if at all. That'd be pretty interesting but that's also a freakish amount of cameras, haha. Can't help but picture something like the farm in The Matrix.

Also (Re: VR) you've never been visually curious on what it would be like to be a cat (VR Game "Catify")? Or dog?

Here's an example of a film quality VR rig.

redvrcamerarig.jpg

Now normally you wouldn't want to put that into the seats but given that some sports won't even have fans... shouldn't be a big deal placing that in a good seat.

Good point about motion sickness. But most VR motion sickness seems to hit people when they move in the virtual space, such as running or jumping. Perhaps sitting stationary, like you were in a stadium seat, would be enjoyable over 3 hours?

If it actually worked as I'm imaging it, I'd pay a premium price to try it out. But given the last time I had NHL Center Ice on Spectrum I couldn't even get half the damn games in HD, I might be dreaming a little right now.

Reactions: FabricDetails

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Are you still in the UP?

The good news is that the area has been mostly isolated from the virus, so the odds they were passing it around is pretty small. But you worry about people driving in from other areas and such.

When I went back there the other month, I was terrified I'd the guy to bring the virus to the UP, and everyone would know it was me, and I'd be shamed and blacklisted for life, ha. That seems dramatic, but a guy from downstate went to open up his camp for the summer and later found out he had the virus. And everyone in the UP knew about this lone guy from downstate that might have brought the virus. Small towns are ripe for good gossip.

But yeah, young people feeling invulnerable is a tale as old as time. I've been watching All Gas No Brakes for a few years on Youtube and so imagine my surprise when they travel to my little ol' city for a story. Usually the guy just goes to music fests or UFO conventions. And last month they posted a video in Minneapolis about the riots.

Yep, still in the U.P. Eastern end. (Les Cheneaux islands)
A little over 300 cases I believe in the U.P. last I checked. Lots of folks from other states vacationing up here now. Hopefully they don’t bring it up here with them. I know what your saying about not wanting to be the guy that brings the virus to U.P. I had to spend a few days at U-M hospital back in March for a family members surgery and was worried I would bring it back with me.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yep, still in the U.P. Eastern end. (Les Cheneaux islands)
A little over 300 cases I believe in the U.P. last I checked. Lots of folks from other states vacationing up here now. Hopefully they don’t bring it up here with them. I know what your saying about not wanting to be the guy that brings the virus to U.P. I had to spend a few days at U-M hospital back in March for a family members surgery and was worried I would bring it back with me.

Oh man, you live in some beautiful country. Love it there. You end up frequenting Mackinac often or is that too touristy?

If you're ever in the Twin Cities after this whole virus thing is over, hit me up. Love to meet fellow Yoopers and especially Wings fans.

And that invite goes for most of you! Still not too sure about that @Frk It guy, being a Vikings fan and all, but I guess I could still have a begrudging beer with him.

Reactions: jkutswings

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Oh man, you live in some beautiful country. Love it there. You end up frequenting Mackinac often or is that too touristy?

If you're ever in the Twin Cities after this whole virus thing is over, hit me up. Love to meet fellow Yoopers and especially Wings fans.

And that invite goes for most of you! Still not too sure about that @Frk It guy, being a Vikings fan and all, but I guess I could still have a begrudging beer with him.

Yeah, I feel pretty lucky to be able to live where I do. I don’t get over to Mackinac too often. Usually get over there when friends or family want to visit there.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.

Thanks for the invite. I’ve only been to the twin cities once. To visit the Mall of America. But if I do I’ll hit you up.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

You too, for a visit to A2.

Reactions: Bench

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
You too, for a visit to A2.

We all need to pick a central location to meet post pandemic. Let's see, we have TZE in Fla, Bondurant in AZ, Bench in Minny and most of the rest of us in Mich with Winger close by.

The most geographic central point would probably be Kansas or some such. We need it to be a more happening place. I'll see you cats in Denver or Fort Collins to rack up some obscene bar tabs and debate who the Wings should have picked at #4 in person
:cheers:

Reactions: newfy

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We all need to pick a central location to meet post pandemic. Let's see, we have TZE in Fla, Bondurant in AZ, Bench in Minny and most of the rest of us in Mich with Winger close by.

The most geographic central point would probably be Kansas or some such. We need it to be a more happening place. I'll see you cats in Denver or Fort Collins to rack up some obscene bar tabs and debate who the Wings should have picked at #4 in person

If they pick Rossi at #4, I should warn you, I will be in a very dark place.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If they pick Rossi at #4, I should warn you, I will be in a very dark place.

First round on me.

But I'm digging this group meetup. I actually traveled down to Dallas to see the Wings and Stars play and met up with a bunch of Dallas folks I met online over the years. Great bunch, we had a good time. Been almost 10 years still talk to a few today.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Listen Bench, I know that times are tough... but I just want you to know that when Aaron Rodgers leaves the Packers, there’s absolutely no shame in rooting for your local team :)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Listen Bench, I know that times are tough... but I just want you to know that when Aaron Rodgers leaves the Packers, there’s absolutely no shame in rooting for your local team :)

The Love era will be the second coming of Mahomes.*

*Things I say to make myself feel better about finally not having an all time great QB to root for soon.

Reactions: jkutswings

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

That central location would have to shift a bit if we can get some of these overseas fans like @Redwingsfan and @Henkka into it. Reykjavik here we come :thumbu:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd feel bad but that looks like pretty much every Bears/Packers game I've seen in my life time. Just get numb to it after the first fifteen years.

At least you’ve seen your team win a Super Bowl....?

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad