OT: Coronavirus and General O/T Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I upgraded my case a few months back. Bought a Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL and absolutely love it.

igsur22jkdw41.jpg

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Covid numbers spiking is such hogwash. There may be actual cases, but the majority of them are no symptoms or the most minor of flu symptoms. In my area the other day, they mentioned how there 853 cases today, yet not one of them was serious and no one needed the hospital or anything at all. So how big of a deal is it really? If there are lots of people needing hospitalization that is one thing, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's starting to look that Corona in reality is 10 times less lethal than it was on the 1st wave.

Still worse than normal season influenza but fatality rates are like 0.10 (influenza) vs. 0.14 (corona).

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
They have a 99.94 percent chance of dying. I bet they have a higher chance of dying playing hockey than catching COVID. They'll be fine. Play on.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Covid numbers spiking is such hogwash. There may be actual cases, but the majority of them are no symptoms or the most minor of flu symptoms. In my area the other day, they mentioned how there 853 cases today, yet not one of them was serious and no one needed the hospital or anything at all. So how big of a deal is it really? If there are lots of people needing hospitalization that is one thing, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
It is not that the people who already got it have mild symptoms. It's about them exponentially infecting others around them, and some of those people will need hospital beds, which will overwhelm the system. If we did not have the "this is hogwash" mentality from the beginning, maybe we would not be where we are now. Epidemiology 101.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It is not that the people who already got it have mild symptoms. It's about them exponentially infecting others around them, and some of those people will need hospital beds, which will overwhelm the system. If we did not have the "this is hogwash" mentality from the beginning, maybe we would not be where we are now. Epidemiology 101.

The hospitals don't need to be overwhelmed at all, because even most that have it don't need the hospital and they can't do anything for you anyway, unless you have a severe. If you have a mild case you quarantine for 14 days and then you will be fine.

Way way way less than 5% of the people that have gotten it, have had severe cases of it. That is why Covid is overblown by about 1000%. Yes it is a disease and it is of course devastating for the families that lost loved ones, but it is so far from anything resembling an actual pandemic. Over 95% of the people with it, recover. If it was an actual pandemic we would be talking massive death totals and much much higher amount of people that have a serious bout of it.

Actual pandemics like the Spanish Flu wiped out at least 50% of the people that got it, and many more were severely ill and near death.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Saw this on Malik’s blog about our old friend Slava Kozlov:
KHL coach Bob Hartley, who has Nail Yakupov on his [Avangard Omsk] team, has managed to avoid COVID but his Omsk team has been hit hard, including his assistant coach Slava Kozlov, the former terrific Detroit Red Wings/Atlanta Thrashers forward who played almost 1,200 NHL games.

“Touch on wood, I’ve been very lucky but Slava spent the last three weeks in hospital on oxygen. He got it really, really bad,” said Hartley. “Last year he was skating with my players and was in NHL shape. I told him I would put him in a game.”

Kozlov is 48 years old.
Hope he gets better soon.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
The hospitals don't need to be overwhelmed at all, because even most that have it don't need the hospital and they can't do anything for you anyway, unless you have a severe. If you have a mild case you quarantine for 14 days and then you will be fine.

Way way way less than 5% of the people that have gotten it, have had severe cases of it. That is why Covid is overblown by about 1000%. Yes it is a disease and it is of course devastating for the families that lost loved ones, but it is so far from anything resembling an actual pandemic. Over 95% of the people with it, recover. If it was an actual pandemic we would be talking massive death totals and much much higher amount of people that have a serious bout of it.

Actual pandemics like the Spanish Flu wiped out at least 50% of the people that got it, and many more were severely ill and near death.
Do you have a degree in epidemiology? Not to make this about COVID, but you keep thinking that, and we will be having this conversation next year as well. With that, back to the subject of the conversation.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
They have a 99.94 percent chance of dying. I bet they have a higher chance of dying playing hockey than catching COVID. They'll be fine. Play on.
What is this 'I Am Legend?' .06 percent survival rate?

And if I take your statement as intended please tell me how many people you've heard of that have died from playing hockey.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
You don't need a degree to understand sports. At any level. You do, however, need one if you are going to cure/mitigate diseases. Do you actually know what epidemiology is?
Yes. Just because you have a degree doesn’t mean you understand anything. Just because you don’t have one, doesn’t mean you don’t understand something.

Some of the dumbest people I’ve met are the most educated. Some of the smartest people I’ve met are high school drop outs.

Reactions: Oddbob

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Yes. Just because you have a degree doesn’t mean you understand anything. Just because you don’t have one, doesn’t mean you don’t understand something.

some of the dumbest people I’ve met are the most educated. Some of the smartest people I’ve met are high school drop outs.

lol you compared watching hockey to understanding epidemiology.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
lol you compared watching hockey to understanding epidemiology.
I didn’t make any comparisons.

I gave an example of having no formal training but still being knowledgeable in a subject.

there are more ways to acquire knowledge than to have a professor read to you from a book.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
I didn’t make any comparisons.

I gave an example of having no formal training but still being knowledgeable in a subject.

there are more ways to acquire knowledge than to have a professor read to you from a book.

lol yea sure. Everyone is epidemiologists now.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
lol yea sure. Everyone is epidemiologists now.
No. I don’t know shit about epidemiology. But I do know a hell of a lot about this one individual virus. More than I care to at this point, if I’m being honest.

just because you don’t put the work in doesn’t mean others can’t.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
No. I don’t know shit about epidemiology. But I do know a hell of a lot about this one individual virus. More than I care to at this point, if I’m being honest.

just because you don’t put the work in doesn’t mean others can’t.

I’m sure you do. :laugh:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Saw this on Malik’s blog about our old friend Slava Kozlov:

Hope he gets better soon.

Damn, hate to see that.

A reminder for all of us to keep safe for ourselves and those around us. He's only 48 and obviously in amazing shape. Knowing him, I bet he could still keep up with pro hockey. He played 28 years of pro hockey, just a machine.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Dying is not the only thing to worry about with COVID. There are very nasty side effects that seem to be lasting a long time. Kids' careers could be over before they begin.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
Until I saw the Russian Five documentary I never knew Kozzie was the "most miserable f***ing guy in all of hockey..."

Mac: "Hey! Good morning Koz!"
Koz: f*** you, Mac..."

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->