OT: Coronavirus 4 - or is that thread 2.75?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Dammit. I was first going to go with her, but then I got confused over our Lion being a male, the visible peen being a bit of a point in the Swedish heraldric tradition (plus there's the mane), and then I reasoned that the medieval male chauvinists would generally opt to make their charges male.

Reactions: DaveG

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Dammit. I was first going to go with her, but then I got confused over our Lion being a male, the visible peen being a bit of a point in the Swedish heraldric tradition (plus there's the mane), and then I reasoned that the medieval male chauvinists would generally opt to make their charges male.
Eagles are generally females in our heraldric tradition. This is kinda interesting because it is not really common to have a sex-specific name for non-domestic birds.

Male eagle - orel
Female - orlice

Other predatory animals like the wolf (vlk - vlčice), the tiger (tygr - tygřice), the bear, (medvěd - medvědice) or the lion (lev - lvice) often use "-ice" as the suffix when creating a female name.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Mumbling about grammar, heraldic and animals aside, this is not exactly a good time for my family. Dad and his wife got it and while she has only mild symptoms (loss of smell), dad is... in the hospital with bilateral pneumonia. The only good thing about it is that sis' is around since he's at her department/ward.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Mumbling about grammar, heraldic and animals aside, this is not exactly a good time for my family. Dad and his wife got it and while she has only mild symptoms (loss of smell), dad is... in the hospital with bilateral pneumonia. The only good thing about it is that sis' is around since he's at her department/ward.

Oh shit, dude!

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
That's awful, MV. I'm sorry. Best of wishes to you all, brother.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Best wishes to the father of our brother in vengeance

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Damnit, man... strength to you and yours.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sorry to hear MV. Hopefully everyone gets well soon.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I just had my flu shot the other week like every year since I'm high risk. I don't normally feel too bad after but I felt a little crummy at times throughout the weekend.

I do hope they do a good job of communicating this to everyone for the vaccine because every year when I have to get flu shots or when I've needed to get a pneumonia shot they typically very much go through the motions and hand you a piece of paper that most won't really read. Hopefully, with this being new and not having been around for so long they won't just plow through it. There are certain to be people that don't bother with the flu shot every year that will need to know what to expect.

It blows my mind that so many of my friends are adamantly against the vaccine. I'm like "dude, they've forcibly vaccinated us against everything under the sun and we're fine". When I joined the Army is was back in the days they'd use these weird pressure guns with vials of vaccine at the top that would just blast it into your arm. They told us "don't move or it will rip open your flesh". They walked us down a vaccine assembly line where you get two shots in both arms simultaneously, and then get two more, then two more, then bend over and get an icy cold shot of Penicillin in your ass, just for GP. We had guards stationed around the room to catch dudes that would pass out.

Here are the things I've been vaccinated against:
- HEP A
-HEP B
- Diphtheria
-Typhus
-MMR
-Varicella (chicken pox)
- Yellow Fever
- Rabies
- Tetanus
- Anthrax
-Flu every year for the past 27 years

Probably couple ones I'm forgetting.

Never felt bad after any of them. So I'm not real concerned about this vaccine.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I just got my flu shot. I don’t ever recall getting a flu shot growing up in Canada, but whatever. It’s fine, it sets my wife’s mind at ease. I am not an anti vaccination person.

I don’t, however, have a good response to someone who starts talking about the national vaccine compensation program and how it’s paid out over $4 billion in the last 10 years.

I’ll probably wait to get the covid vaccine until I can’t do what I want to do, ex. coach kids hockey, get on a plane, a cruise, etc.

I’m curious where children fall in all this. As far as I’ve read, they haven’t done any trials with children.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I’ve heard that the mRNA vaccines will make a significant number of people febrile. Not the same type but related, the shingrix vaccine makes your arm feel like Nolan Ryan beaned you.
I was one of the lucky ones where the shingles vaccine made me feel like I was in a rollover car accident. My whole body ached for 24 hours, both doses. Literally knocked me off my feet. I’ve never had any reaction, not even a sore arm to any other vaccine before.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I was one of the lucky ones where the shingles vaccine made me feel like I was in a rollover car accident. My whole body ached for 24 hours, both doses. Literally knocked me off my feet. I’ve never had any reaction, not even a sore arm to any other vaccine before.
The only time I had any notable reaction I had was the meningococcus vaccination. Funnily enough that was the one I was paid for, because I was a part of a trial.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I have passed out during multiple vaccines given in one visit. Not sure why. Good old Army vaccines. No real reaction yet. Although I am really looking forward to this vaccine as Im sure I will be required to get it.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Last year when I got the flu vaccine I ended up with a baseball sized lump and my arm was super sore for a couple days. All other times have been fine. I’ve only gotten the flu once, not confirmed didn’t have health insurance at the time, and it was enough to convince me to start getting the vaccine.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I’m curious where children fall in all this. As far as I’ve read, they haven’t done any trials with children.

I’d guess children would be last on the priority list so maybe they’ll have some trial data before that.

I’ll get vaccinated at the first chance, which probably won’t be at least until spring, or later based on priorities being set.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Wishing nothing but the best for your dad, MV. Nobody deserves this.

The day they tell me I can have a vaccine, I'm taking it. I don't care if it knocks me on my ass for a day or two, this has gone on long enough. I want it most for my daughter, though, because she has asthma. I'm anxious to see what the distribution for children looks like.

We're also at the end of our surprise bathroom renovation (at least the parts we're hiring out) and I've lost count of how many contractors have been in our house. We're all getting tested tomorrow, and I might consider it a small miracle if we're all negative. Nobody has had any symptoms, but on the other hand, we want to see family again and asymptomatic spread is what makes this thing so insidious.

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

Youth sports — soccer, basketball, cross-country, swimming, whether held indoors or out, a source of American pride, prestige and bonding — were among the first gatherings to be allowed post-lockdown. Organizers worked closely with public health officials to make modifications that balance safety with maintaining the spirit of the games. This has worked to some extent. While public health officials suspect off-field interactions may be contributing to community spread, there’s little hard data. In most areas, there have been few to no documented outbreaks, much less superspreader events.
Ice hockey is an anomaly. Scientists are studying hockey-related outbreaks hoping to find clues about the ideal conditions in which the coronavirus thrives — and how to stop it. Experts speculate that ice rinks may trap the virus around head level in a rink that, by design, restricts airflow, temperature and humidity.

The hockey-related cases have been especially striking, epidemiologists have said, because clubs followed Centers for Disease Control and Prevention limits on gathering size and had numerous social distancing measures in place. In retrospect, one mistake by some clubs was that until recently masks had been required on ice for only the two players doing the initial faceoff for the puck — although many players wore clear face shields, which theoretically should have a similar effect.

“We’re watching hockey very carefully because it’s the first major sport that’s been played indoors predominantly and also during the winter months,” said Ryan Demmer, an epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota’s School of Public Health.
Demmer said the cases provide some of the first real-world evidence to support early theories about the importance of how people breathe, ventilation, and the social dimensions of transmission.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
So two weeks into a non-bubble season and it will be all shut down due to COVID? Got it.
The only way they are going to shut down is if they end up facing too many government restrictions. And they might at some point, who knows? Otherwise, I feel confident they'll plow ahead as sports have been. Then it comes down to being flexible and agile. And of course, which team (us) has to use their 5th string goalie a la the Broncos while another team just gets to reschedule a la the Ravens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad