OT: Coronavirus 3 - wait but Covid 19 is SARS-CoV-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
A friend is charged of things in a court and the police had retroactively tracked her through her mobile contacting the various cell network towers at times. If you don't stay in the immediate vicinity of your home tower it will show in the listing of the contacts.

Of course by law the police need a court order and a serious enough suspected crime to get that order. I'm a tad worried of the easiness with what the police and the prosecutor broke the law in this case and misused the order they obtained on grounds A but usurped it to do B. It kind of suggests it gets done all the time.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Meanwhile we have the inbreds starting "burn masks challenges" on facebook.

The best is these Karen's that walk into stores without masks, go batshit when they're told to leave, then claim they can't due to a medical issue... if you have a serious medical/respiratory issue that prevents you from wearing a mask, why are you going to crowded places like that?

I'm all for rounding up these people and shooting them into outer space.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Oh we're 100% being tracked, hence Google and FB hit you with local ads and such...but the govt openly admitting to using it to track you for quarantine and fines?

I get what you are saying. I know that’s what hbluridgegal’s son said, but I searched and didn’t see anywhere the government openly admitted this though. I didn’t do an exhaustive search so if I missed it, I’d like to see it. This article says people will be trusted to comply and says nothing about cell tracking.

New York, New Jersey and Connecticut impose 14-day quarantine on travelers from coronavirus hot-spot states

That said, With private companies are already tracking phones, I’d be surprised if certain government entities aren’t also. One of the articles I read said in some states, they legally can and depending on the data, don’t even need a warrant.(not sure how valid or current that article was)

Cell Phone Location Tracking Laws By State

Personally, I think the whole $10k fine thing is more a threat to try to get people to comply. Also, as I said, if they do track cell phones, a person could just leave it at home when they go out.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
My work mates insisted a while back that one mentioning a certain model of Opel in a face to face discussion caused one to pretty much instantly getting an ad for the said Opel model onto his mobile. And he's a fervent Mercedes Benz man so it wasn't from browsing.

I’ve had it happen on Instagram more than once. Never looked up a brand of boat because I know they’re well out of my price range. Mentioned the brand while riding in a friend’s truck after one passed us. Next time I got on Instagram on my phone there was an ad for the boat.

Happens regularly with things I look up on my phone’s browser, targeted ads everywhere.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I’ve had it happen on Instagram more than once. Never looked up a brand of boat because I know they’re well out of my price range. Mentioned the brand while riding in a friend’s truck after one passed us. Next time I got on Instagram on my phone there was an ad for the boat.

Happens regularly with things I look up on my phone’s browser, targeted ads everywhere.

Kinda funny how I sometimes confuse them. My ads think I have tinnitus. I don't. I am the one who gives people tinnitus.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I get what you are saying. I know that’s what hbluridgegal’s son said, but I searched and didn’t see anywhere the government openly admitted this though. I didn’t do an exhaustive search so if I missed it, I’d like to see it. This article says people will be trusted to comply and says nothing about cell tracking.

New York, New Jersey and Connecticut impose 14-day quarantine on travelers from coronavirus hot-spot states

That said, With private companies are already tracking phones, I’d be surprised if certain government entities aren’t also. One of the articles I read said in some states, they legally can and depending on the data, don’t even need a warrant.(not sure how valid or current that article was)

Personally, I think the whole $10k fine thing is more a threat to try to get people to comply. Also, as I said, if they do track cell phones, a person could just leave it at home when they go out.

So, I sell software to the military that involves this sort of thing. And while they can, on a case by case basis, get your phone records and see historically where you were at to prove you did a crime they suspect you of- tracking millions and millions of people in real time and then issuing citations if you move outside of a geo-fenced area is an utter impossibility at this stage of the game. Its a big data nightmare and the military isn't even able to get its arms around it, much less poorly funded state and local municipalities.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
We do a lot of geo fencing and hyper local advertising at work. Creepy but effective. I will ask him. I thought it had something to do with the Port Authority? You’re right about leaving the phone at home but its practically an appendage for him up there. I am suggesting we cancel for now.

I work with a lady in Singapore. When Covid stay in place started, they had to download an app. She was afraid to move. Now, they are being asked to wear contact tracing bracelets. I can’t imagine how that would go over here - unless those NBA smart rings become trendy. Will the NHL go that route, too?

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I will ask him. I thought it had something to do with the Port Authority. You’re right about leaving the phone at home but its practically an appendage for him up there. I am suggesting we cancel for now.

I work with a lady in Singapore. When Covid stay in place started, they had to download an app. She was afraid to move. Now, they are being asked to wear contact tracing bracelets. I can’t imagine how that would go over here - unless those NBA smart rings become trendy. Will the NHL go that route, too?

Then you have a very limited imagination. I'll help you...

HelpfulEntireAntarcticfurseal-size_restricted.gif

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

I’m trying to be back in CT for the first week in August. Colorado isn’t a hotspot currently so if I’m reading that I’m good. This is going to be interesting to see. Hope your test turned out well.

They poked my brain with mine.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Ugh.

Hi Everyone,

All bets are off. The story is told by just two graphs (Figs. 1 and 2). As has been made abundantly clear in the media, both the number of new cases in the US and the number of new cases per test are spiking and producing new peaks. These rises are dramatic, and are fueled largely by Southern states plus a few others.

Given this pattern, it is clear that no statistically based projections are possible at this time. I am therefore suspending my reports until the curves at least begin to level off. People can get information on these trends easily online.

Fig 1 Fig 2
Just for information, the following two graphs show what is happening in North Carolina (Figs. 3 and 4). The number of new cases per day continue to increase at an accelerating rate. The good news, though, is that the number of new cases per test has plateaued statistically—there is no statistically significant deviation from flatness since day 94, three and a half weeks ago. This means that the total number of infections will grow at a constant rate over time. I’ll let you know if it starts to either increase or decline. NC is not is as good shape as states like NY where new cases per test have declined to near 0, but we are in better shape than many states where the number is climbing.

Stay safe!

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I find it ... odd ... when I hear how well NY is doing.

Also, *So far* deaths have declined 10% week over week (last week to this week), and each day was the fewest deaths nationwide on that particular day (a Monday, a Tuesday, etc) since March.

I guess this week and next will tell the tale.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Also, *So far* deaths have declined 10% week over week (last week to this week), and each day was the fewest deaths nationwide on that particular day (a Monday, a Tuesday, etc) since March.

I think maybe its because so many of them already got the damned virus?

So, got my hair cut finally, after it having been as long as its been since I was like 10, and went to the doctor, and got an antibody test. Should know in a couple of days.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

NY was driven by NYC and the metropolitan area. The shear population density, a mass transit system with 10x more riders than anywhere in the US, a major seaport, 3 big international airports, etc..:is what drove their numbers. I have a number of friends in NYC and a lot of relatives in the Finger Lakes Region. Anecdotal, but They took it a lot more seriously than we did. My relatives wouldn’t allow anyone in their house, even other relatives. My wife’s family all designated 1 person to grocery shop and it was curbside pick up. The state also opened up more slowly. That’s how NY lowered their numbers. As they open up, particularly bars, I suspect their numbers will rise. This virus is predictable.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
NY was driven by NYC and the metropolitan area. The shear population density, a mass transit system with 10x more riders than anywhere in the US, a major seaport, 3 big international airports, etc..:is what drove their numbers. I have a number of friends in NYC and a lot of relatives in the Finger Lakes Region. Anecdotal, but They took it a lot more seriously than we did. My relatives wouldn’t allow anyone in their house, even other relatives. My wife’s family all designated 1 person to grocery shop and it was curbside pick up. The state also opened up more slowly. That’s how NY lowered their numbers. As they open up, particularly bars, I suspect their numbers will rise. This virus is predictable.
Oh I totally get that. All of it. It’s just kind of funny (ironic? Not hilarious funny) when they had vans backed up to hospitals to transport the dead and Cuomo freaking out about ventilators....and now they want to be the lecturers. Nah. They f***ed up. Can see multiple videos of politicians encouraging citizens to take the subway, go to Chinatown, etc.

Just be a little humble because you got your ass kicked, and go about your business. No lectures. You don’t get to do that.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Oh I totally get that. All of it. It’s just kind of funny (ironic? Not hilarious funny) when they had vans backed up to hospitals to transport the dead and Cuomo freaking out about ventilators....and now they want to be the lecturers. Nah. They f***ed up. Can see multiple videos of politicians encouraging citizens to take the subway, go to Chinatown, etc.

Just be a little humble because you got your ass kicked, and go about your business. No lectures. You don’t get to do that.

Diblasi, no doubt. He was in denial much like our president and some governors in the south. He (diblasi) totally f***ed up IMO. I’m not sure Cuomo falls into the same bucket, but I don’t know enough.

The governors of Florida and Texas have a tough sell though.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Things are finally starting to get somewhat bad in the ERs here. Amount of patients showing up with signs of COVID are up like 2-3x according to my wife in the last 2 weeks or so, with many patients actually being admitted. This is just one hospital of many in the region but I imagine it's similar elsewhere.

I guess I always overestimated the intelligence and compassion of the average person because I didn't realize how many of them would refuse to do easy things like wearing a mask and social distancing in public. Obviously our lack of responsible leadership has a lot of blame too but that was expected.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Rise in new cases here. Biggest since April. Partially because of a local spread in a certain coal mine.

Not many new admissions to hospital though, so that’s something.

People are visibly losing focus. I hope that most folks will still keep wearing masks for sometime in certain spaces, but who am I kidding, it’s not gonna happen.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I think maybe its because so many of them already got the damned virus?

So, got my hair cut finally, after it having been as long as its been since I was like 10, and went to the doctor, and got an antibody test. Should know in a couple of days.
You got an antibody test at your dr? I have a doctor appointment Tuesday and was thinking about asking if I could get tested because we strongly suspect my boss had the virus back in February and while none of the rest of us got sick we were certainly exposed so it’d be nice to know. But in googling I’ve been having a tough time figuring out if you have to go to a specific testing place to get it or if your gp can do it. Guess I’ll just have to call them tomorrow.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Covid-19 cases from last two weeks' time, per 100,000 of population.

0d27cb6bfdb741fcac6d84de0ab38f72.jpg.webp

c4a707b2ee11448489c18d202ecac1e5.jpg.webp

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad