OT: Coronavirus 3 - wait but Covid 19 is SARS-CoV-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think I remember them looking small or oddly shaped when they were announced. I ended up ordering some generic pattern cloth ones from VistaPrint back in early May that came in early June. They seem to be pretty good quality and size.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The masks the NHL made are SMALL. Prefer the feel of the disposal ones but know I should use the cloth ones.
You can reuse the disposable surgical ones for some time. Just use three or four and rotate them in a sequence. When not in use, put them in a paper bag until the next day you use it (hopefully 3 or 4 days from last use). That is what I do for work.

50041414973_f9617f4c31_z.jpg

Reactions: DaveG and vorbis

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
80 percent of the population in the notorious corona sling skiing village of Ischgl, Austria has been tested for antibodies. 42.2 percent of the tested have them. It's the highest figure in the world so far.

Only 15 percent of those tested positive for antibodies had any symptoms. So, 85 percent would have been symptomless.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

There goes my plans to see my son for his bday. Before this announcement, I almost booked a long weekend trip to Maine for it without knowing there is a 14 day quarantine in place upon arrival there for out of staters. Although there are worse places to get stuck and WFH in August.

Bummer..but cannot blame them for locking the gate.

I do find this kind of ironic though given his statements/sentiments early on when NY was having 6k+ cases/day (+2-3k from NJ) and he considered this very thing a "declaration of war"

How do they enforce this anyway...Stop people based on license plate? How do they know if you've been quarantined 14 days...honor system? Border patrol? Remember how well "stop & frisk" worked out in NYC all those years?

Reactions: DaveG

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I do find this kind of ironic though given his statements/sentiments early on when NY was having 6k+ cases/day (+2-3k from NJ) and he considered this very thing a "declaration of war"

How do they enforce this anyway...Stop people based on license plate? How do they know if you've been quarantined 14 days...honor system? Border patrol? Remember how well "stop & frisk" worked out in NYC all those years?

Its voluntary, just like it was in Florida previously. They’ll likely setup checks at the borders on the main highways in and all they can do is tell people to quarantine and take their information.

CT just let the PGA tour in on Tuesday and they’ve already had 5 people withdraw from the event with COVID 20 minutes from my house so that’s super great.

Hope the payoff was worth it to the state for that event which isn’t helping the community that relies on it at all since fans aren’t allowed.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Its voluntary, just like it was in Florida previously. They’ll likely setup checks at the borders on the main highways in and all they can do is tell people to quarantine and take their information.

CT just let the PGA tour in on Tuesday and they’ve already had 5 people withdraw from the event with COVID 20 minutes from my house so that’s super great.

Hope the payoff was worth it to the state for that event which isn’t helping the community that relies on it at all since fans aren’t allowed.
3 people with Covid. A few others withdrew “out of an abundance of caution.”

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I wear a mask I hate having to wear a mask but I will wear a mask. I just wish it didn't make my face feel like it's been in a sauna..
I’ve been growing my beard out, the disposable masks make it look so funny after a little while.
You can reuse the disposable surgical ones for some time. Just use three or four and rotate them in a sequence. When not in use, put them in a paper bag until the next day you use it (hopefully 3 or 4 days from last use). That is what I do for work.

50041414973_f9617f4c31_z.jpg
My workplace gives us one disposable mask every Monday to be used until the next Monday. Most are starting to purchase their own cloth masks and a lot of the plant workers are using those lightweight gaiters you’d wear to protect from the sun while outside.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’ve been growing my beard out, the disposable masks make it look so funny after a little while.

My workplace gives us one disposable mask every Monday to be used until the next Monday. Most are starting to purchase their own cloth masks and a lot of the plant workers are using those lightweight gaiters you’d wear to protect from the sun while outside.
Mine were also supplied by my employer and we were given the instructions you can see me implementing above. The surgical masks are a better choice than the cloth ones due to the electrostatic properties of the materials that help attract the small particles to the fibers for "capture". Unfortunately, that property doesn't last forever and I don't know when it becomes no more protective than a cloth mask.

Reactions: raynman

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Wife and I got Covid tested today. I’m guessing it’s only allergies, but been dealing with cough, sore throat, etc for a while, but it’s gotten worse the past couple of days. Since we are planning on driving out of state next week, we figured it was a good idea to get tested before leaving. Went to the CVS drive through. Filled out the form on the CVS testing website, it approved us for being tested, and we made an appointment. Was pretty simple and doesn’t cost anything.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Wife and I got Covid tested today. I’m guessing it’s only allergies, but been dealing with cough, sore throat, etc for a while, but it’s gotten worse the past couple of days. Since we are planning on driving out of state next week, we figured it was a good idea to get tested before leaving. Went to the CVS drive through. Filled out the form on the CVS testing website, it approved us for being tested, and we made an appointment. Was pretty simple and doesn’t cost anything.
Good luck with your test. It is a self swab test, correct? Oral or do they have you self swab nasally?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Good luck with your test. It is a self swab test, correct? Oral or do they have you self swab nasally?
Self swab, nasal both nostrils. Put the swab in nostril, swish it around, hold for 15s, repeat with same swab end in second nostril, drop in a vial with some sort of liquid in it. That’s it. Took way longer waiting in line (even though we had an appointment). Our appointment was at 12:40, got there at 12:25, didn’t get the kit until about 1:05. Not too long of a wait.

Edit: results in 2-4 days

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Self swab, nasal both nostrils. Put the swab in nostril, swish it around, hold for 15s, repeat with same swab end in second nostril, drop in a vial with some sort of liquid in it. That’s it. Took way longer waiting in line (even though we had an appointment). Our appointment was at 12:40, got there at 12:25, didn’t get the kit until about 1:05. Not too long of a wait.

Was it the one where you have to touch your brain? Or just swirl it around your nose at the depth of a civilized person?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Was it the one where you have to touch your brain? Or just swirl it around your nose at the depth of a civilized person?

When I had mine done by a nurse, it was pretty far back. There have been some concerns over false negatives if you aren't getting them back far enough into the nasal passage. At least with those professionally administered tests. No clue how accurate the self swab tests they have now are.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

My son lives in NYC and he said they intend to track your cell. Back when we naively thought the curve would be flattened, he planned a trip to come here for the 4th but now would have to be quarantined for 14 days upon his return. Hefty fines for those who don’t comply - up to $10k.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

When I had mine done by a nurse, it was pretty far back. There have been some concerns over false negatives if you aren't getting them back far enough into the nasal passage. At least with those professionally administered tests. No clue how accurate the self swab tests they have now are.

this was self administered. Directions were push the swab in until it stops, swish it around your nostril for about 5 seconds, hold it against your nostril wall for 15 seconds. Then repeat with the same end of the swab in the other nostril.
I was told that they have you do both nostrils and do the 15s to minimize false negatives as you aren’t pushing it to the brain. It’s in your nose for almost 40s total

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
My son lives in NYC and he said they intend to track your cell. Back when we naively thought the curve would be flattened, he planned a trip to come here for the 4th but now would have to be quarantined for 14 days upon his return. Hefty fines for those who don’t comply - up to $10k.
Well hello there Big Brother. I saw the fines start off at like $2k and go up with each subsequent violation, this is going to be interesting though...very slippery slope they're jumping on

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Well hello there Big Brother. I saw the fines start off at like $2k and go up with each subsequent violation, this is going to be interesting though...very slippery slope they're jumping on
In all likelihood, You are already being tracked by your cell so big brother is already watching.

I think the fines are more a threat than enforceable. What’s to stop someone from leaving their cell in quarantine while they go out?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
In all likelihood, You are already being tracked by your cell so big brother is already watching.

I think the fines are more a threat than enforceable. What’s to stop someone from leaving their cell in quarantine while they go out?
Oh we're 100% being tracked, hence Google and FB hit you with local ads and such...but the govt openly admitting to using it to track you for quarantine and fines? If these mandates and rules don't trump first amendment rights to protest, should it be any different for fifth amendment rights to travel? There's a fine line to toe, and the govt doesn't really have a good track record of trustworthiness

Reactions: CanesFanBudMan

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Oh we're 100% being tracked, hence Google and FB hit you with local ads and such...but the govt openly admitting to using it to track you for quarantine and fines? If these mandates and rules don't trump first amendment rights to protest, should it be any different for fifth amendment rights to travel? There's a fine line to toe, and the govt doesn't really have a good track record of trustworthiness
My work mates insisted a while back that one mentioning a certain model of Opel in a face to face discussion caused one to pretty much instantly getting an ad for the said Opel model onto his mobile. And he's a fervent Mercedes Benz man so it wasn't from browsing.

The other was looking up a new Samsung telly on webstores at work and went home to see that his couple of years old Samsung telly had started malfuntioning. He insists they sent an special software update to his old telly to support the shopping decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad