OT: Coronavirus 3 - wait but Covid 19 is SARS-CoV-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Sweden seems to have taken the lead in coronavirus mortality: 6.08 deaths per day per one Million people during the week of May 13 to May 20. (UK 5.57, Belgium 4.28, USA 4.11).

The conlusion from the antibody tests from the turn of May (found in 7.3 percent of people of Stockholm) is that herd immunity without vaccination is a myth.

Meanwhile in Finland politics is slowly returning into politics, and the criticism for and internal intel from the supply security shenanigans makes for fun reveals: the Finnair flights bringing protective gear from China and Malesia to Finland had to be direct, because "if they made a stopover Germany would confiscate all the materials".

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I didn't make these posts in jest because I'm that much of a cynic:

OT: - Coronavirus

OT: - Coronavirus 2 - Covid Boogaloo

But it's still kind of harsh to realize that some healtcare people and a professor of geriatrics in Sweden are now claiming that the elderly in care homes are getting untreated for Covid-19 in a fashion close to active euthanasia. Apparently instead of infusion of nutrition, extra oxygene and antibiotics for airtake infections they have been "routinedly" given palliative cocktails of pain-easing midazolam and morphine that make it even harder to breath and hastens death.

In a related matter, covid-19 patients expected to need mechaniced aid for breathing for a prolonged time are being restricted from being taken to ICU with the excuse that a younger patient with better prognosis may need the spot in the ICU of disminished availabitity.

Larm om att patienter prioriteras bort – IVO gör tillsyn på Karolinska

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Apparently instead of infusion of nutrition, extra oxygene and antibiotics for airtake infections they have been "routinedly" given palliative cocktails of pain-easing midazolam and morphine that make it even harder to breath and hastens death.

Obviously, I can't read the original article about these claims, but does this professor differentiate the populations in these centers that want active care and those that want some sort of advanced directive? That would explain some of the choices here. For example, due to my wife's disease, if she were to get this thing, what she wants is very similar to what you listed.

Reactions: Lempo

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Obviously, I can't read the original article about these claims, but does this professor differentiate the populations in these centers that want active care and those that want some sort of advanced directive? That would explain some of the choices here. For example, due to my wife's disease, if she were to get this thing, what she wants is very similar to what you listed.
I think the original Swedish article is paywalled beyond my access, and what I read was a Finnish "SVT tells that -- " article, and I think even the original had a nameless careworker hinting the press rather than a named ptofessional.

But when they say there is "excuse" to keep the patients from getting ICU treatment the implication is they are people who would like to get the treatment or who are not in position to make a sound decision to decline treatment.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
What's going wrong in Sweden's care homes? (BBC)

Seems like a blanket policy. Of Lasse's Run kind.

Now, increasing numbers of workers are also coming forward to criticise regional healthcare authorities for protocols which they say discourage care home workers from sending residents into hospital, and prevent care home and nursing staff from administering oxygen without a doctor's approval, either as part of acute or palliative (end-of-life) services.

"They told us that we shouldn't send anyone to the hospital, even if they may be 65 and have many years to live. We were told not to send them in," says Latifa Löfvenberg, a nurse who worked in several care homes around Gävle, north of Stockholm, at the beginning of the pandemic.

A paramedic working in Stockholm, who wanted to remain anonymous, told the BBC she had not had a single call-out to an elderly care home connected to Covid-19, despite putting in overtime during the crisis.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

On May 29, as we understand it, Eli Lilly will fly a drug on a jet here that we’re going to test for the first time in humans here and some other medical centers. If it passes the test, then we’re going to take this drug and deliver it to clients of a nursing home in Chicago — some of those clients will have infection, and some will be uninfected.
“We will determine, we hope in two months, whether this drug can stop the progression of disease. If that drug works for early infection, that will be the first drug for that purpose. There are many other drugs just like that in the pipeline.”
In the outpatient unit at UNC Hospitals, Cohen said, “most people who are infected with COVID do perfectly well. It’s the people with comorbidities, like my age [70], fat, hypertensive. I’m like a poster child.

The vaccine program, he said, will take longer, “and it is very political. But we are going to vaccinate 30,000 people in the first vaccine, 30,000 in the second vaccine. The Army is going to help with this and the National Guard.” Cohen said trials on five vaccines would start in multiple locations in July. “UNC will be involved in the vaccine program — pretty heavily involved.”
In the immediate, Cohen said, the emphasis will be on behavior change in the healthy.
“Here’s a new virus, and the most important thing for us to do, and which we’ve done pretty successfully so far, is to learn the rules that govern this virus. And there are two sets of rules we’re concerned about: the rules that govern transmission and the rules that govern progression of disease. Because at the end of the day our real responsibility is to prevent the infection and, when the infection occurs, to have agents available that will interrupt the progression of the disease.

Sounds promising but it's gonna take some time.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
While not elderly and barely middle aged, this was my late husband's option as well. His team of Drs. wanted him to be hospitalized and try a series of treatments with minuscule to no chance of success and a possible tracheostomy. After almost 5 years of suffering, he said no and opted for 2.5 months of good drugs, good food, good wine, and good company with family and friends at the end.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
While not elderly and barely middle aged, this was my late husband's option as well. His team of Drs. wanted him to be hospitalized and try a series of treatments with minuscule to no chance of success and a possible tracheostomy. After almost 5 years of suffering, he said no and opted for 2.5 months of good drugs, good food, good wine, and good company with family and friends at the end.
In my wife's case, she just has very little lung capacity to spare at this point. Her restrictive muscle disease coupled with her degenerative bone disease (osteoporosis on an accelerated scale) have left her lung volume barely adequate. She just is not a candidate for a ventilator and would probably need one very rapidly if she were to get symptomatic with a COVID-19 infection. Like your husband's case, if it happens she's elected to go the comfortable as possible route vs. the fight tooth-n-nail until the end route.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Sweden, Scandinavic nation,
is thought to be some kind of progressive Eden,
but in their carehomes the elderly are dying,
not case with US 'cos with creative lying
whatever deaths there might have been
have been for other reasons than Covid-19,

(did ya hear!)
last night in Sweden...

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Nursing homes don't have to report COVID-19 deaths from before May

this will help make the numbers good so we can skip phase 2
This is the diametric opposite of folks who's loved ones are dying from a variety of causes but being listed as COVID on death certificates...both instances are wrongly trying to skew numbers.

It's sad that both sides are politicizing a pandemic for their own gain at the cost of lives and/or livelihoods. Nobody gets to know the truth because there's so much mistrust and disinformation at both ends.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
From the article:

---
In the FAQ, the question was posed, "Are facilities required to report data that predates the effective date of the interim final rule?" The effective date of the final rule is May 6.

The answer: "No, there is no requirement in the rule to collect older data. The [reporting] system has capability for retrospective reporting from January 2020 onward, consistent with [Centers for Disease Control]'s mission-critical work, but CMS will not take enforcement action if a nursing home is unable to accurately report information from that time."
---

Which probably translates to: "we didn't have our shit together enough to make these weasels report these deaths properly in the first place, and now it's probably impossible to do so retroactively."

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
We get told something new and different, usually contradictory to something already said every shift.
I read something today that said, basically, “But Fauci has now argued every possible side of every possible question he’s been asked since February.”

Hard to argue with that. I don’t envy his position, who he ultimately answers to, etc .... but that statement isn’t wrong and I don’t believe it’s solely one man’s fault.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Toronto parks are already packed with idiots despite recording 400 new cases a day recently :rolleyes:

How long before they lock everything back down again?

man, it's very not good in the city. I really hope I'm wrong about what I think is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad