OT: Corona virus thread-7 months later we're still screwed (MOD: NO POLITICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
i dont care politically left or right whatever. We all were so sad about Kobe bryant... that sucked.. But i was saying at that time this is the story. This virus..... we just should have been better prepared...

I am frustrated by the approach our country took.. understand theres so many variables... i just wish we were better prepared... if you think we were then you are mistaken. Just sucks overall.. AND yes this is so panthers if this causes us to miss playoffs... Also they wont fire Tallon :P

I hope the takeaway we all have is to cut back on poor behavior and hygiene... specially in public. We are all on the same side.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I could also see like a 22 team playoff scenario instead of 16. How pissed would the Jets (or to a lesser extent the Panthers) be if they can't play out the last 12 games.

More revenue as well.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
They are taking it seriously now. They didn’t take seriously the stopping of travelers from infected areas. The US did that.

The CDC and other agencies are doing a good job so far I think. Not perfect but better than before.

Yeah now mostly it's taken seriously. But if you read the article @RainingRats posted Wuhan was already in full lockdown at this point (counting days from the first detected case). So it will be interesting to see how things unfold in Seattle and other parts of the country. We're still at the beginning.

Reactions: RainingRats

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
i dont care politically left or right whatever. We all were so sad about Kobe bryant... that sucked.. But i was saying at that time this is the story. This virus..... we just should have been better prepared...

I am frustrated by the approach our country took.. understand theres so many variables... i just wish we were better prepared... if you think we were then you are mistaken. Just sucks overall.. AND yes this is so panthers if this causes us to miss playoffs... Also they wont fire Tallon :P

I hope the takeaway we all have is to cut back on poor behavior and hygiene... specially in public. We are all on the same side.

No offense, but I wasn't.

Reactions: klabob

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

They could have been well more prepared for this. We had two months to prepare for this. No contingency plan, just delay and deception. We don’t have enough test kits, by a ridiculous amount. We aren’t prepared for this.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
So in Czech republic, they closed all schools and forbade gatherings of 100+ people, which sucks but okay, trying to prevent an epidemic here...
But now they're talking about shutting down pubs and restaurants after 8 p.m. and about banning gatherings of 10+ people - seriously?? We better ban my brother and his GF from visiting then - wouldn't want to break government regulation...

We currently have 94 confirmed cases in a 10 million people country.

"For a country with the highest per capita beer consumption in the world, this represents an unprecedented interruption of normality."

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
On the hockey side of things. if playoffs don't happen, imagine Tampa or Boston who loaded up for this year. Chara is probably done in the nhl and another missed year for a core that's not young anymore. Tampa has new contracts kicking in and have to move core pieces out in the summer.

ouch

Reactions: KW

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
On the hockey side of things. if playoffs don't happen, imagine Tampa or Boston who loaded up for this year. Chara is probably done in the nhl and another missed year for a core that's not young anymore. Tampa has new contracts kicking in and have to move core pieces out in the summer.

ouch

Tallon 4D chessing again.
Stay safe guys, heard whiskey helps your immune system.
Not even sure I'll be able to come home to Canada on Saturday morning.

Hopefully the travel ban from UK to Canada doesn't happen till Sunday if it happens at all
:cheers:

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Curious if this helps or hurts Tallons chances of staying
BCAD3585-D4C5-412B-8888-89BF48E5AC32.jpeg

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Tallon 4D chessing again.
Stay safe guys, heard whiskey helps your immune system.
Not even sure I'll be able to come home to Canada on Saturday morning.

Hopefully the travel ban from UK to Canada doesn't happen till Sunday if it happens at all
:cheers:

woof you're still in Europe? Holy shit man, I hope you can get back before they cancel all air traffic.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
The government is handling this fine. Millions, let me repeat, *MILLIONS* of Americans were infected by swine flu before the government finally took action, but media didn't go into mass hysteria back then like they are now. This is all political driven make no mistake about it and if the government would have closed the borders and all flights to prevent the infected from entering the country, the media would have b*tched about that too and say they did all this over a virus that kills less people than influenza. Lose-lose situation for every course and action since this is a global problem.

i am not an expert but i am pretty close to the ground on this as i work in software lab at a big hospital here in boston with many MDs. my wife is a surgeon/researcher here as well.

i was here at the hospital in 2009. swine flu wasn't a blip compared to this. i don't recall any emergency measures being put into place.

all the hospitals in boston are closing in on lockdown mode. even here, at one of the largest academic medical centers in the country, all in-person instruction, grand rounds, meetings, etc. have been canceled as of this week. the cancer center here canceled all upcoming follow-ups with cancer patients a week and a half ago to keep those vulnerable away from the hospital.

from How the coronavirus compares to SARS, swine flu, Zika, and other epidemics, note that:

The coronavirus outbreak is more severe than the 2009 outbreak of H1N1, or swine flu. That illness infected between 700 million and 1.4 billion people worldwide but only had a mortality rate of 0.02%.

perhaps the only other time pro sports leagues canceled a season was WWII? i don't think it's a stretch to say this is unprecedented. so, swine flu as a comparison? no.

EDIT: just read that the stanley cup was not awarded the year of the spanish flu pandemic. 1919 Stanley Cup Finals - Wikipedia

also, you probably know that we are way behind in testing and in awareness so the likelihood that there are WAY more cases out there (MILLIONS, maybe?) is high. it's all around.

meanwhile, you have all the information out there on what has been done to hurt our preparedness. and now, Exclusive: White House told federal health agency to classify coronavirus deliberations - sources

Staffers without security clearances, including government experts, were excluded from the interagency meetings, which included video conference calls, the sources said.
“We had some very critical people who did not have security clearances who could not go,” one official said. “These should not be classified meetings. It was unnecessary.”

so you know... you're right, i think this is all political. just not quite in the way you are suggesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: RainingRats

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Sorry to be an idiot but the title says “NHL season suspended” but nhl.com says they will issue a statement today. Will it be a complete cancellation or just no audiences? I didn’t see the statement posted yet. Just advance speculation.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Sorry to be an idiot but the title says “NHL season suspended” but nhl.com says they will issue a statement today. Will it be a complete cancellation or just no audiences? I didn’t see the statement posted yet. Just advance speculation.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Just that, they want to resume the season but for now no games to be played

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
i am not an expert but i am pretty close to the ground on this as i work in software lab at a big hospital here in boston with many MDs. my wife is a surgeon/researcher here as well.

i was here at the hospital in 2009. swine flu wasn't a blip compared to this. i don't recall any emergency measures being put into place.

all the hospitals in boston are closing in on lockdown mode. even here, at one of the largest academic medical centers in the country, all in-person instruction, grand rounds, meetings, etc. have been canceled as of this week. the cancer center here canceled all upcoming follow-ups with cancer patients a week and a half ago to keep those vulnerable away from the hospital.

from How the coronavirus compares to SARS, swine flu, Zika, and other epidemics, note that:

perhaps the only other time pro sports leagues canceled a season was WWII? i don't think it's a stretch to say this is unprecedented. so, swine flu as a comparison? no.

also, you probably know that we are way behind in testing and in awareness so the likelihood that there are WAY more cases out there (MILLIONS, maybe?) is high. it's all around.

meanwhile, you have all the information out there on what has been done to hurt our preparedness. and now, Exclusive: White House told federal health agency to classify coronavirus deliberations - sources

so you know... you're right, i think this is all political. just not quite in the way you are suggesting.

It absolutely is political when you have Jared Kushner involved in the decision making.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
This is unbelievable, if it isn't the Panthers lack of ability to win hockey games keeping them out of the playoffs, it's a global pandemic. Obviously, I hope everyone stays safe and healthy - but you have to feel for the players here, they were just starting to get their mojo back and might have been gearing up for a run and playoff birth.

I have a sinking feeling the season won't resume.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
As someone who's basically done quarantine for a year-and-a-half now, this is going to royally suck without Sports.

If it gets the point that everyone has to be quarantined, I hope you got a good deck of cards at home, because you're going to need it. :loony:

Reactions: Kellyr

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Im unsure if we ever see a PO this Year. You cant say this Team showed the most effort and won the Cup.
The Break is current set up for 30 Days waiting for warmer Days how it goes. But after 30 Days off all Teams all Players, that feels like Beginning of a Season.
I guess there will be no PO and no one who clearly won this Season. No Team would have a fair chance after that kind of Break.

Remember the short Season during the CBA Break, we saw Teams in the PO you usually dont await there to be, but some PO Teams doesnt started good in short Season and had later on no Chance to get into the PO.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
woof you're still in Europe? Holy shit man, I hope you can get back before they cancel all air traffic.

Canada hasn't been too bad with any confirmed cases so far but ya starting to get a tad worried as I'm with my immediate family including my 2 year old niece. :crossfing
If we can't come back, I'll have to learn the bagpipes and start earning some cash.
Again, stay safe amigo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad