OT: Corona virus thread-7 months later we're still screwed (MOD: NO POLITICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Unreal. So do we just end the season then? No playoffs?

Delaying it can have an affect on some arenas I imagine with scheduling conflicts and ice quality into the Summer.

Reactions: Cold Cat

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Good thing I still have a compromised immune system from my bone marrow stem cell transplant in December 2018 :facepalm:

Doctors said at the time and should take two years to fully get back to 100% :punk:

I've basically been in quarantine since December of 2018, thought it was basically over. Guess not :doh:

Stay strong dude, keep fighting and safe recovery!

Reactions: Cold Cat

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Unreal. So do we just end the season then? No playoffs?

Delaying it can have an affect on some arenas I imagine with scheduling conflicts and ice quality into the Summer.
As of now the rumor is they'll end the regular season and head straight to the playoffs with the standings decided based on point %

Jets miss by .1 and were off tonight, all 3 teams ahead were in action, if any of them had lost they'd have made it

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
What I don’t understand is that viruses don’t die unless they’re actively destroyed by (human) immune systems or by disinfectants (like bleach, chlorine, alcohol, UV light, whatever). They just become dormant. Time means nothing to viruses, I’m told.

So.... if we isolate ourselves sufficiently now... and the infection rates drop... and we say, danger over, start running around again, won’t the infections start again? We aren’t gonna disinfect the whole friggin planet.

In other words, isn’t this basically a very bad flu, and until we have a vaccine (next year maybe), it just has to run its course because we’ll almost all be exposed to it eventually?

Reactions: Rahooji

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
The government is handling this fine. Millions, let me repeat, *MILLIONS* of Americans were infected by swine flu before the government finally took action, but media didn't go into mass hysteria back then like they are now. This is all political driven make no mistake about it and if the government would have closed the borders and all flights to prevent the infected from entering the country, the media would have b*tched about that too and say they did all this over a virus that kills less people than influenza. Lose-lose situation for every course and action since this is a global problem.

Reactions: MPGA and KW

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
What I don’t understand is that viruses don’t die unless they’re actively destroyed by (human) immune systems or by disinfectants (like bleach, chlorine, alcohol, UV light, whatever). They just become dormant. Time means nothing to viruses, I’m told.

So.... if we isolate ourselves sufficiently now... and the infection rates drop... and we say, danger over, start running around again, won’t the infections start again? We aren’t gonna disinfect the whole friggin planet.

In other words, isn’t this basically a very bad flu, and until we have a vaccine (next year maybe), it just has to run its course because we’ll almost all be exposed to it eventually?

The issue is hospital capacity. The popular phrase over the past few days is "flatten the curve," if we get too many too fast it could overrun our healthcare system, that is the concern. More patients bogging down hospitals means less resources for everyone which likely means more deaths. We shut everything down now, get it controlled, hopefully when it becomes warmer it really does become more difficult to transmit and we can properly prepare for a Fall surge.

We need time, this country had time to prepare and didn't do it, we have a second chance. Let's not f*** that one up too.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

Depends on prevention. China, South Korea went into full lockdown to avoid spreading. Once the spreading stops and people infected get better there won't be any more carriers around to spread the virus. Then when the vaccinations come all the people who didn't get the virus can also get immunity.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The issue is hospital capacity. The popular phrase over the past few days is "flatten the curve," if we get too many too fast it could overrun our healthcare system, that is the concern. More patients bogging down hospitals means less resources for everyone which likely means more deaths. We shut everything down now, get it controlled, hopefully when it becomes warmer it really does become more difficult to transmit and we can properly prepare for a Fall surge.

We need time, this country had time to prepare and didn't do it, we have a second chance. Let's not f*** that one up too.
Yup, there's no stopping this but you need to stagger the cases. This is why Italy's death rate is so high for the elderly, they're literally using a triage for patients. So many younger people have it they just don't have space for older people.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
The government is handling this fine. Millions, let me repeat, *MILLIONS* of Americans were infected by swine flu before the government finally took action, but media didn't go into mass hysteria back then like they are now. This is all political driven make no mistake about it and if the government would have closed the borders and all flights to prevent the infected from entering the country, the media would have b*tched about that too and say they did all this over a virus that kills less people than influenza. Lose-lose situation for every course and action since this is a global problem.

Different viruses require different measures. You can't compare this to swine flu at all.

wampa13jku

Jun 29, 2019
Davie, FL
Ok guys, I figured it out. NHL lets the captain from each team play NHL20 on xbox to finish the remaining games. Barkov's been training for this his whole life.

I said this on the other thread, I would give the controller to Q, he looks like he gets pissed playing. Barkov is probably the one that gets blown out 6-1 and very polite tells you "good game, good game" lmao

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Good point on the capacity. That makes sense.

But when you say “this country had time”, as things are being shut down, there’s a huge outcry and we are leading the nations on shutdowns. Maybe we could have been stricter even but it would have been very very unpopular and deemed overly paranoid. I don’t see how we couldn’t let it get this far. It’s not just a medical decision.

Reactions: Crossbar

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Different viruses require different measures. You can't compare this to swine flu at all.
For Swine flu 20,000 were hospitalized and more than 1000 died before US finally declared a state of emergency according to the Centers of Disease Control
and Prevention, vs US declaring a state of emergency after one single person died of Corona. We will see how things end, but I think we are handling it well, but the major problem is all our medications come from China.

Reactions: KW

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Good point on the capacity. That makes sense.

But when you say “this country had time”, as things are being shut down, there’s a huge outcry and we are leading the nations on shutdowns. Maybe we could have been stricter even but it would have been very very unpopular and deemed overly paranoid. I don’t see how we couldn’t let it get this far. It’s not just a medical decision.
The complete lack of testing is what got us to this point. And it's not that there was a lack of availability, it's lack of will to do it and even worse an attempt to downplay the pandemic as it was spreading in China and SE Asia. S. Korea is still doing more tests daily than the US has done thus far. They managed to contain the outbreak fairly quickly while the US is following the curve that Italy, Iran and China have/are experiencing.

We knew about the mortality rate being ~2.5-3% and the needed quarantine time and the rate and how it spread, but did nothing until it is too late to intercept it. Right now we really have no idea how many infected there are and how many clusters of community transmissions exists in the US. It is a botched response that is leading to a lot of panic.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
For Swine flu 20,000 were hospitalized and more than 1000 died before US finally declared a state of emergency according to the Centers of Disease Control
and Prevention, vs US declaring a state of emergency after one single person died of Corona. We will see how things end, but I think we are handling it well, but the major problem is all our medications come from China.

Yes but Swine Flu had a death rate of 0.02% whereas Corona has anywhere from 0.5 to 5% according to current data, depending on prevention. Some countries like Italy have gotten into massive trouble because they didn't take this seriously.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
The complete lack of testing is what got us to this point. And it's not that there was a lack of availability, it's lack of will to do it and even worse an attempt to downplay the pandemic as it was spreading in China and SE Asia. S. Korea is still doing more tests daily than the US has done thus far. They managed to contain the outbreak fairly quickly while the US is following the curve that Italy, Iran and China have/are experiencing.

We knew about the mortality rate being ~2.5-3% and the needed quarantine time and the rate and how it spread, but did nothing until it is too late to intercept it. Right now we really have no idea how many infected there are and how many clusters of community transmissions exists in the US. It is a botched response that is leading to a lot of panic.
South Korea’s mortality rate is 0.7%.

Yes, more testing is needed ... and when that happens, the mortality rate comes down.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Yes but Swine Flu had a death rate of 0.02% whereas Corona has anywhere from 0.5 to 5% according to current data, depending on prevention. Some countries like Italy have gotten into massive trouble because they didn't take this seriously.
They are taking it seriously now. They didn’t take seriously the stopping of travelers from infected areas. The US did that.

The CDC and other agencies are doing a good job so far I think. Not perfect but better than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad