OT: Corona virus thread-7 months later we're still screwed (MOD: NO POLITICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
And Quaranteeeene!!! Yay.... :(

Multiple people sick at work including some I've been in contact with so as of this afternoon I'm at home office. "Watch yourself and if you feel sick come Tuesday, go get tested."

But after 15,000 cases per day, we're down to "only" 5,000 new cases per day (10 million population) so the government officially eased the restrictions today...
My sister had to just go into quarantine, someone that her work tested positive. She had a test and it came back negative, but she still has to quarantine.

Hope you're feeling alright otherwise.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I don’t remember fully but I believe the debate when the money should be paid back: right now if more is owed than escrow, money is taken in future years.

Yes and with the money that players need to pay back, cap is projected to be flat for 5-6 years or something like that if they don't agree to the deferrals. It's just that players today are being greedy and screwing over the players of tomorrow.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yes and with the money that players need to pay back, cap is projected to be flat for 5-6 years or something like that if they don't agree to the deferrals. It's just that players today are being greedy and screwing over the players of tomorrow.
I understand how annoying it would be to get half the agreed upon salary. Many players only get one big contract and it would matter, especially for players who aren’t stars

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
So why would the players be concerned about paying back through escrow? An average NHL career is 5 years. Majority of players will not even be in the league in seven years when the deal is up, so why should they care? NHL just agreed to a contract in July. In the middle of a pandemic. Why wouldn't something be done about this then?
Players only have a short time to earn money in their life. So they should receive 100% of the payment they've agreed to with the owners. Billion dollar owners crying poor, I don't like it. Just like baseball, show me your books.

Plus when you break it all down, players are taking all the risk here. You can't make money if your dead. We're in the middle of the pandemic!

average career being only 5 years is one of the reasons why I think they will give in. how many players want to lose a full year of pay? the problem with the NHLPA is that players are always thinking short term and only caring about their own paycheck. Why else do they keep voting to increase the cap? Because players that have their contracts coming up want to get paid. The players are in the wrong here just as much as the owners. It's a multi-billion dollar pie and the players get half, that half for the owners will either be made whole now or later. The question for the players is...do they want that pie to be bigger or smaller in the future and do they even care about the future.

It's a fight between billion dollar owners and million dollar players with the fans who always get the shaft.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I understand how annoying it would be to get half the agreed upon salary. Many players only get one big contract and it would matter, especially for players who aren’t stars

But that's the problem. The NHLPA does a disservice to the players by not properly explaining how the CBA works. Just because a player signs a contract for $X dollars, doesn't mean that's what they get. The players and NHL split HRR 50/50, that's the deal.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
average career being only 5 years is one of the reasons why I think they will give in. how many players want to lose a full year of pay? the problem with the NHLPA is that players are always thinking short term and only caring about their own paycheck. Why else do they keep voting to increase the cap? Because players that have their contracts coming up want to get paid. The players are in the wrong here just as much as the owners. It's a multi-billion dollar pie and the players get half, that half for the owners will either be made whole now or later. The question for the players is...do they want that pie to be bigger or smaller in the future and do they even care about the future.

It's a fight between billion dollar owners and million dollar players with the fans who always get the shaft.
Can you blame them? Look out for number one. Why the hell should they care about a kid coming in seven years from now, since many players would be retired by then.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Can you blame them? Look out for number one. Why the hell should they care about a kid coming in seven years from now, since many players would be retired by then.

If that's the way all the players before them thought there would be no union. And if that's how the players really think now, then they get what they deserve when the owners try to screw them.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
If that's the way all the players before them thought there would be no union. And if that's how the players really think now, then they get what they deserve when the owners try to screw them.
If the players back in the day thought this way, no doubt there wouldn't be a union.
But I think the players of today are of a different mind frame. They think of themselves as a business, and want to do what's best for them with what little time they have in their career. I don't think players are afraid to take a year off and prolong their career another year in order to make more money for themselves.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Exactly, look out for number one and when Billionaires and Millionaires argue about money, keep yours. Entertainment is plentiful, cheap, and some entertainers are actually grateful and sympathetic.

Reactions: Cold Cat

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Not necessarily: unions kind of current focus: promoting the workers today. Doesn’t necessarily make sense for them to harm today’s workers for tomorrow.

It is an interesting question on which player should suffer the cost...especially given how disastrous a cancelled season would be! When lockouts happen, revenues essentially fall due to lower fan demand

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I hope people are staying safe this holiday season, and not getting together with friends and family.

I know my wife and I have told family we are not attending family get-togethers this holiday season. Trying to do my part to limit the spread. It's one Christmas in the big scheme of things . I want to celebrate many more.

:xtree:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Merry Christmas everyone! (If you don’t celebrate it, I wish you all the best for 2021!)

(PS: the Panthers WILL make the playoffs. But I’m in a happy mood, a few drinks down, so I could regret this later....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille