Post-Game Talk: Corks are Popping! Habs 5-2 over Jets

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Well i wouldnt say hell never get to pk level and like i said im as big a pk fan as anyone, Im part of the minority on this board who would still rather pk. Consistency will be judged through time and drouin has been with us two years now (one in which everyone played subpar and the offense was non existant, trying to play a position which he had a ton more defensive responsibility )all im saying is that it takes time to realize if hell always be this inconsistent player or not. You can argue pk became inconsistent at the end with his last season here where he did subpar as well. If jonathan drouin is inconsistent in 2-3 years i will change my mind but so far he is on pace for 70 points if im not mistaken. We will see more this post season

For a player getting first line minutes and lots of PP time, 60-70 points isn’t anything special. It’s better then we’ve got from our forwards over the past years, but he’s still not an elite talent. Subban was. You can use the argument anyone will be a hero if they produce if we made a playoff run. But Drouin takes way to many games off to be in the same category as those types of players. He was awful last season and has been all over the place this season despite point totals.

Cacaniemi

Nov 8, 2018
For a player getting first line minutes and lots of PP time, 60-70 points isn’t anything special. It’s better then we’ve got from our forwards over the past years, but he’s still not an elite talent. Subban was. You can use the argument anyone will be a hero if they produce if we made a playoff run. But Drouin takes way to many games off to be in the same category as those types of players. He was awful last season and has been all over the place this season despite point totals.
I dont feel like last year should be taken into consideration due to a horrid team overall and a position change. If we were to take this into consideration we should also bring pks last year with the habs into the conversation considering he was subpar as well (as well as the team , which you can compare to last years surroundings) and as elite as he was with puck movement and offensive game , he was a risk taker on the ice and it often contributed to bad turnovers where the other team would take advantage of so in this regard he was not elite. I understand that pk had clutch playoff years and some good seasons but he has an advantage....Time with the organization.... this is drouins second year so considering that he isnt procducing at an "elite" level but he sure shows flashes of it in his playmaking which you can not argue is not elite. Their are definitely part to jonathan drouins game that is elite and considering hes 23 i would give him the benefit of the doubt and atleast show his playoff game to us for the First time ! Before you can 100 percent say that drouin will not reach pks level you need to give him the same sample size. If his production dosent improve and he dosent perform well in the playoffs in the same sample size than i will conclude that pk is def on another level

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I dont feel like last year should be taken into consideration due to a horrid team overall and a position change. If we were to take this into consideration we should also bring pks last year with the habs into the conversation considering he was subpar as well and as elite as he was with puck movement and offensive game , he was a risker on the ice and it often contributed to bad turnovers where the other team would take advantage of so in this regard he was not elite. I understand that pk had clutch playoff years and some good seasons but he has an advantage....Time with the organization.... this is drouins second year so considering that he isnt procducing at an "elite" level but he sure shows flashes of it in his playmaking which you can not argue is not elite. Their are definitely part to jonathan drouins game that is elite and considering hes 23 i would give him the benefit of the doubt and atleast show his playoff game to us for the First time ! Before you can 100 percent say that drouin will not reach pks level you need to give him the same sample size. If his production dosent improve and he dosent perform well in the playoffs in the same sample size than i will conclude that pk is def on another level

There are certain fans that use the age 22-23 to try and take some of the heat off of Drouin. In the league today, these are prime production years for a lot of forwards. He’s not a defenseman or a goaltender. What you see is typically what you’re going to get as skilled wingers hit their prime at a much younger age then any other position. As far as last year, he was part of the problem. He was awful. He shows flashes of elite and that’s the problem I have with him. He’ll likely always show flashes because he’s inconsistent which goes back to taking games off. Looks good when he’s putting up points like the last couple of games, makes you want to bang your head against a wall when he’s not.

Cacaniemi

Nov 8, 2018
There are certain fans that use the age 22-23 to try and take some of the heat off of Drouin. In the league today, these are prime production years for a lot of forwards. He’s not a defenseman or a goaltender. What you see is typically what you’re going to get as skilled wingers hit their prime at a much younger age then any other position. As far as last year, he was part of the problem. He was awful. He shows flashes of elite and that’s the problem I have with him. He’ll likely always show flashes because he’s inconsistent which goes back to taking games off. Looks good when he’s putting up points like the last couple of games, makes you want to bang your head against a wall when he’s not.
I agree he is rather inconsistent as of now but you cant say he definitely is in his prime as of now either , as im sure their are examples of skilled similar players who become elite after 23 , so its not an excuse. He was part of the problem last year. But like pk in 2015-2016 he was also part of the problem and every position can be blamed. You can not say pk was elite everygame either i will say he was more consistent in his early years but this is drouins first real season if we remove the awful team year which i feel in pks case should be removed as well since its the same context.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

He has the skill to become a elite offensive player but his effort isn't always there. He said after the game that it was nice to have a hot streak but he wants to do it constantly. He recognize it, I don't see why I wouldn't be patient with the kid, not like we have a surplus of players oozing offensive talent.

Reactions: Doxinoctae

Cacaniemi

Nov 8, 2018
Actually looking back to pks 2015 2016 stats he was not that bad but if i remember correctly he was reponsible for alot of bad turnovers. Jonathans worst year was worse but it is also trying to convert him to a 1st line center on an overall worse team than pks 2015 2016 who just came crashing down in the end.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I agree he is rather inconsistent as of now but you cant say he definitely is in his prime as of now either , as im sure their are examples of skilled similar players who become elite after 23 , so its not an excuse. He was part of the problem last year. But like pk in 2015-2016 he was also part of the problem and every position can be blamed. You can not say pk was elite everygame either i will say he was more consistent in his early years but this is drouins first real season if we remove the awful team year which i feel in pks case should be removed as well since its the same context.

Anyone can have an off-year, and I mean it literally, anyone. The thing you shouldn't do is to compare someone having an off-year to someone struggling to put out a constant effort/compete level.

PK had a bad year in 2015-16. Price had a bad year in 2017-18. Drouin was slacking off in 2017-18.

Even this year, Jo took plenty of night off... And if he keep doing that I don't see how he would be able to reach elite status... He got talent, no doubt about that. The will to use that talent every night still have to materialize itself, and really its not optional if he is to become an elite player.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Actually looking back to pks 2015 2016 stats he was not that bad but if i remember correctly he was reponsible for alot of bad turnovers. Jonathans worst year was worse but it is also trying to convert him to a 1st line center on an overall worse team than pks 2015 2016 who just came crashing down in the end.

You seem like a reasonable poster which is why I’m not going in to hard. Reality, PK and Drouin aren’t comparable. Subban is one or two tier’s above Drouin as far as stature. Plus your comparing a complimentary winger to a #1 defenseman.

Cacaniemi

Nov 8, 2018
You seem like a reasonable poster which is why I’m not going in to hard. Reality, PK and Drouin aren’t comparable. Subban is one or two tier’s above Drouin as far as stature. Plus your comparing a complimentary winger to a #1 defenseman.
Haha ok nice of you i guess...as a pk fan id like to say that but the truth is drouin is not a guaranteed "complimentary player" and pk is not a gaurenteed "tier or two above" when pk has had more than double a sample size... please. Pk is also not close to the best defender in the league and is not even arguably currently the best on his team. You can say what you want but sample size definitely a factor and you determining drouin as a career "complementary winger" is just an assumption as well

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Drouin has 6 years to prove he can be as high impact as Subban has been, because that's the age difference. Maybe in 6 years' time we can come back to your comment, just as last year people were to quick to judge Drouin and Sergachev.

Reactions: Cacaniemi

Cacaniemi

Nov 8, 2018
Pk is also not elite in all aspects of his game which can make him arguably a lower slotted defender than a number one on teams

Cacaniemi

Nov 8, 2018
Drouin has 6 years to prove he can be as high impact as Subban has been, because that's the age difference. Maybe in 6 years' time we can come back to your comment, just as last year people were to quick to judge Drouin and Sergachev.
Yes exactly anyway you look at it you can not definitely conclude jonathan drouin as a career "complimentary winger" until we have a similar sample size or even close to one.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You do realize that HFHabs knew that trade would end up costing us at least one of Girard or DeBrincat. Don't act like the Habs had no idea about the value of their picks, they knew. Don't act like the Habs had no idea on who they were passing on, they knew. They did the trade anyway.

Now if that help you to sleep at night, yeah they just traded "picks", sure why not. But it is sure not equivalent to picks traded at the deadline (which was your original statement).

Montreal still didn't trade DeBrincat. Chicago didn't have to pick him. They did and what a great pick by them, but Montreal didn't trade DeBrincat.

Had Montreal kept those picks, they might not have drafted DeBrincat. Therefore, one cannot say Montreal traded a certain player they never had.

Reactions: buddahsmoka1

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Pk is also not elite in all aspects of his game which can make him arguably a lower slotted defender than a number one on teams

That’s like saying Weber isn’t a #1 defenseman and can be slotted lower then a #1 on teams because he lacks a lot of offensive tools other then his shot. At the end of the day, he’s still a top tier defenseman just like Subban is still a top 10. Where does Drouin rank among wingers in your mind? He puts up bottom third numbers for a first line player considering his usage and brings little to nothing when it comes to a 200 ft game. I’m not saying I want to trade him. And I do agree with the poster I’ll link below that I’m premature in wrapping up what he could actually be in the future. I’m just giving my opinion on what I see and where I see him going. I’d gladly eat crow if he becomes a perennial playoff performer. You can spoon feed it to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad