Post-Game Talk: Corks are Popping! Habs 5-2 over Jets

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
That’s like saying Weber isn’t a #1 defenseman and can be slotted lower then a #1 on teams because he lacks a lot of offensive tools other then his shot. At the end of the day, he’s still a top tier defenseman just like Subban is still a top 10. Where does Drouin rank among wingers in your mind? He puts up bottom third numbers for a first line player considering his usage and brings little to nothing when it comes to a 200 ft game. I’m not saying I want to trade him. And I do agree with the poster I’ll link below that I’m premature in wrapping up what he could actually be in the future. I’m just giving my opinion on what I see and where I see him going. I’d gladly eat crow if he becomes a perennial playoff performer. You can spoon feed it to me.

He needs to get to the playoffs first, but when he has been he has done well. Look it up!

Anyways, time will tell

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Pretty crazy how hes now on a season avg of 916 when he was so bad early on.

His first 10 games or so were .920+ and GAA around 2.00. He had really two rough weeks and that was it. And the defence is as much to blame if not more. He could’ve been first star in games he was giving up 4-5 goals.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He needs to get to the playoffs first, but when he has been he has done well. Look it up!

Anyways, time will tell

I’m well aware of his 2016 playoffs. But it was one year. And on a stacked team. I had the luxury of watching him live in my hometown during the Mooseheads Memorial Cup win and he impressed me there. We need more of a sample size. Hopefully we get one this year.

Reactions: Cacaniemi

Cacaniemi

Nov 8, 2018
That’s like saying Weber isn’t a #1 defenseman and can be slotted lower then a #1 on teams because he lacks a lot of offensive tools other then his shot. At the end of the day, he’s still a top tier defenseman just like Subban is still a top 10. Where does Drouin rank among wingers in your mind? He puts up bottom third numbers for a first line player considering his usage and brings little to nothing when it comes to a 200 ft game. I’m not saying I want to trade him. And I do agree with the poster I’ll link below that I’m premature in wrapping up what he could actually be in the future. I’m just giving my opinion on what I see and where I see him going. I’d gladly eat crow if he becomes a perennial playoff performer. You can spoon feed it to me.
Shea weber is also better defensively. We can also say subban is not a top ten defensive defenseman but a top ten offesive puck moving defenseman which would change some peoples lists depending on preference. Alot of skilled wingers dont bring a 200ft game but their offensive prowess overpowers that and depending on which team you are you can need that more. I can agree that drouin is not a top ten winger but how do you know he wont have a bigger impact than subban in the future playoffs montreal will be in ? When it comes to playoff games a player dosent necessarily have to be a top ten player to have the impact of one. You are calling it as you see but you should atleast acknowledge that it is an assumption and playoff wise where impact is much more important than season, drouin has the potential to make as much or hey maybe more than subban who knows.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Poor JD, he can't win with the fans and that's exactly why many players refuse to come here. He has a bad game and we knock him (reasonable), he has a great game and certain people knock him (unreasonable). We just annihilated one of the best teams in the league, can we just enjoy the effort all the players put in?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I’m well aware of his 2016 playoffs. But it was one year. And on a stacked team. I had the luxury of watching him live in my hometown during the Mooseheads Memorial Cup win and he impressed me there. We need more of a sample size. Hopefully we get one this year.

He hasn't had any other years to perform so why is anyone worried about his playoff performances? We already had one guy saying he'd choke in the playoffs when there isn't a reason to believe it.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Shea weber is also better defensively. We can also say subban is not a top ten defensive defenseman but a top ten offesive puck moving defenseman which would change some peoples lists. Alot of skilled wingers dont bring a 200ft game but their offensive prowess overpowers that and depending on which team you are you can need that more. I can agree that drouin is not a top ten winger but how do you know he wont have a bigger impact than subban in the future playoffs montreal will be in ? When it comes to playoff games a player dosent necessarily have to be a top ten player to have the impact of one. You are calling it as you see but you should atleast acknowledge that it is an assumption and playoff wise where impact is much more important than season, drouin has the potential to make as much or hey maybe more than subban who knows.

Drouin’s offence doesn’t overpower his awful 200 ft game. It’s one of the reasons I can’t stand him. As far as Subban. He did the heavy lifting defensively when Nashville made the finals just like he did in 2014 when we went to ECF. He also has a Norris win on top of 2 other years where he was a finalist, one as recent as last year. He’s a top 10 defenseman easily. Not a top 10 “offensive.” You could make an argument he’s top 5 overall.

Cacaniemi

Nov 8, 2018
Drouin’s offence doesn’t overpower his awful 200 ft game. It’s one of the reasons I can’t stand him. As far as Subban. He did the heavy lifting defensively when Nashville made the finals just like he did in 2014 when we went to ECF. He also has a Norris win on top of 2 other years where he was a finalist, one as recent as last year. He’s a top 10 defenseman easily. Not a top 10 “offensive.” You could make an argument he’s top 5 overall.
Maybe you can like i said depends on personal interest. He is most likely in the bottom half of the top 10 at best realistically when it comes to overall game. The debate was infact who can make the bigger impact and based on that your argument is an assumption. If drouin can play like he is on his current streak and like he did when he played for the lightning that year in the playoffs (where impact is measured) , i will gladly accept his 200 ft game while i have other players who can defend because that might be the biggest asset this team will have besides price

Last edited:

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Had to watch this one again on Canadiens Express...

Damn it it's as if this game is straight out of one of those Habs' glory days dvd box sets.

Drouin with the flowing hair flying down the wing and sniping it to put the Habs ahead like he's the flower,
Big bird Shea clinical defensively then blasting it home from the point for a key goal,
Danault with the cerebral two way play, scoring a goal and dishing 3 assists in the process like he's Jacques Lemaire,
Domi skating circles around defenders and feeding his linemates left and right like he's the pocket rocket,
The lanky rookie making one timers look easy followed by a humble celly looking like number 4 ...

Ok getting carried away...

We're the Habs though. This is how it should always be.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
What a game coming up.

The leafs are very good but I think we have the kind of team to beat them. Great goaltending, we have the speed to match them, great defensively, consistent pressure on the puck. We basically have to do what we did tonight, and play the game in their end.

If you had a team like Toronto play like Montreal did against Winnipeg tonight, they would have finished on the chances where we didn't. That's where they're better than us.

But this team can tilt the ice, and they can pin all kinds of teams in their own zone for a while. We can beat Toronto if we can get a lead and eat the clock. I really like how we have a number of players who can defend well and get in the heads of opponents:

Gallagher
Armia
Shaw
Lehkonen
Danault
Lehkonen
Byron
Peca
Domi

The speed and tenacity of this group is impressive and they all are legit NHLers. It's why we've been so competitive. The bench is deep.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Drouin showed how good he was the last few games. He started skating and going in traffic with and without the puck. When he steps on the gas he's as good a player as you will see. His celebration on his 2nd goal made me smile, he really looks like he cares. fingers crossed.

having special units that work normally will help us kill games.

solid win.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Subban finished 2nd on the team for TOI 14 seconds below Josi, who was first and 12 seconds ahead of Ekholm. The d was pretty much between those 3 and Ellis with lesser minutes, about 3.

For shorthanded time on ice, PK was 4th on the team. 2 seconds per game behind Ekholm, 14 behind Ellis and 24 behind Josi.

PK had 16 seconds less than Josi for toi on the pp. PK was 2nd amongst d and 4th amongst players on the team.

PK finished 2nd for toi at even strength 26 seconds ahead of Josi, 21 seconds behind Ekholm (a little weird)

In short, Pk was part of a group of 3 (or4) dman who did the heavy lifting for his team, wasn't just him.

Josi and Subban had the same average of toi/shift at 48 while Ekholm had 47, Ellis was 46.

Reactions: Acadien86

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Subban finished 2nd on the team for TOI 14 seconds below Josi, who was first and 12 seconds ahead of Ekholm. The d was pretty much between those 3 and Ellis with lesser minutes, about 3.

For shorthanded time on ice, PK was 4th on the team. 2 seconds per game behind Ekholm, 14 behind Ellis and 24 behind Josi.

PK had 16 seconds less than Josi for toi on the pp. PK was 2nd amongst d and 4th amongst players on the team.

PK finished 2nd for toi at even strength 26 seconds ahead of Josi, 21 seconds behind Ekholm (a little weird)

In short, Pk was part of a group of 3 (or4) dman who did the heavy lifting for his team, wasn't just him.

Josi and Subban had the same average of toi/shift at 48 while Ekholm had 47, Ellis was 46.

You’re talking peanuts when comparing TOI in comparison to the matchups. Literally a couple of seconds. Josi and Ellis were used in offensive roles which just strengthens my arguement.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Drouin showed how good he was the last few games. He started skating and going in traffic with and without the puck. When he steps on the gas he's as good a player as you will see. His celebration on his 2nd goal made me smile, he really looks like he cares. fingers crossed.

having special units that work normally will help us kill games.

solid win.

Yes, hopefully he's showing us what his new norm-ish will be. Can't expect him to score 9pts in 3gp all the time but in terms of involvement and creating things, hope he keeps this up.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You’re talking peanuts when comparing TOI in comparison to the matchups. Literally a couple of seconds. Josi and Ellis were used in offensive roles which just strengthens my arguement.

The TOI indicates those 3 were used in virtually the same way throughout. Nashville rotated the 3, well I guess the 4, but mostly Subban, Ekholm and Josi against the other team's top lines.

Using hockey reference.com

Subban Ozone starts - 49.6 Dzone starts 50.4
Josi -48.4 - 51.6
Ekholm - 48.7 -51.3
Ellis - 43.2 - 56.8 (Surprised me)

So, Subban had the most starts in the offensive zone.

According to Corsica Quality of Competition goes and for the rest I have no idea what they really mean, so going to post them all.

Ellis and Josi have 49.83 for CF% TOI
Subban and Ekholm are just below at 49.82

TOI QoC%

Josi 29.93
Ellis 29.92
Ekholm 29.86
Subban 29.85

TOIQoT

Subban 28.88
Ellis 28.74
Ekholm 28.71
Josi 28.42

CF% QoT
Ellis 54.01
Ekholm 51.05
Josi 50.71
Weber 50.03
Subban 49.74

Aside from this last one, they seem to indicate that once again, the d jobs were heavy on the 4, but spread out.

Reactions: Acadien86

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The leadership and stability of Shea Weber is a huge reason this team is playing so well. Guys like Benn and Petry are not over extended
Habs had an insane start without the presence of Weber and with Price playing like crap.
Weber helps, of course, probably more than I originally believed. That said, a lot of guys have played their part in why this team is doing as well as it currently is.

Reactions: THE HOFF and HKbleu

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Habs had an insane start without the presence of Weber and with Price playing like crap.
Weber helps, of course, probably more than I originally believed. That said, a lot of guys have played their part in why this team is doing as well as it currently is.
Habs did start well but November was a losing month and you could see the kinks in the Armor. Weber has been instrumental in the Habs play the past two months.

Reactions: scrubadam

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
That performance will have made a lot of people sit up and really take notice. 5 goals for and their goalie was still around .900 and playing well.

[UT Announcer Voice] DOMINATING [/UT Announcer Voice]

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Habs did start well but November was a losing month and you could see the kinks in the Armor. Weber has been instrumental in the Habs play the past two months.
Sure..Weber played a big part..just saying, they did well before too.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
You're welcome guys, I'll continue to bless this team as long as the likes keep rolling in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad