Post-Game Talk: Corks are Popping! Habs 5-2 over Jets

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The thing about Danault is that he's not as good as he is playing now from a production standpoint, just like he isn't as bad when he was struggling. It's just the ups and downs of a marathon season. He has never really struck me as a floater.

About weber, it's not so much a decline that I'm talking about. Players typically struggle to find their game after a major injury, and missing camp altogether. That's true for a 33 or 23 year old. It's really a credit to him how he has jumped back into the lineup almost flawlessly, as if he missed no time at all.
It's natural to aim for the middle when looking at a player's highs and lows, but in Danault's case I think we can expect something closer to his recent performances. He looks a lot like the Danault from two years ago before he got hurt, a legit #2C or excellent #3C.
I read a comparison between this team and the 2007-2008 Habs... There in fact are a lot of differences;

- 2007-2008 was heavily reliant on special units to produce offense. We actually are a much better 5 on 5 team.
- It was pointed out that everyone has a career year just like they did in 2007-2008... but in fact it cannot be further from the truth. Guys like Byron, Gallagher, Weber, Lehkonen, Price, Armia and Tatar are pretty much producing to the pace they're used to producing. Domi and Drouin are 23, and were both top-15 picks and top prospects when being drafted. It was EXPECTED that they would end up taking the next step... even if it's a bit more surprising in Domi's case. The only guy where we have a case of "well, he's not going to have a season like that ever again anytime soon" is Jeff Petry, Now it's one guy that's producing way more than he should be. But most players on this team are producing like we should expect of them. Danault, Drouin, Domi and Kotkaniemi are pretty much the difference with last season. And all are just taking the next step in their developement. If you were to ask me, I say Domi's probably a 60 points C in a normal year. Drouin's likely a 70 points winger. Danault is definitely a 50 points center. And who knows how good Kotkaniemi will be. Those 4 under-25 guys and a healthy Weber is the difference with last year.
- 2007-2008 was all about Kovalev's redemption and him taking the whole team on his back. This year, it's always a new guy stepping up. Lately it's been Drouin and Danault. Earlier it was Domi and Tatar. Now Price and Kotkaniemi seem ready to take things in their hands. Then you have Weber just being solid as always. It's way more of a team effort than it was in the Kovalev year.

All in all, this team reminds me more of the 2007-2008... Boston Bruins. Nobody expected anything out of that team. But a bunch of young guys (Lucic, Krejci, Kessel) started stepping up. Chara was rock solid. Their goalie problems disappeared. And their prospect pool was filled with promising young guys. I'd say we're a more talented team that was the Bruins were in 2007-2008, but I feel like our success is way more similar to theirs than it is to the 2007-2008 Habs.
Really good summary.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I know the price of Price, but isn't it great to have that goaltender to be there? (and Niemi to bounce a little back so Price doesn't have to play all the games and get hurt)

Adding to that, just love the youth core. I've been a fan our yours... but... I don't know, I took a break from the whole hockey after Selänne ja Koivu. Koivu is from my hometown and watched him play a lot. Quite a weird game that was since I'm fan of yours and theirs. And it's really weird to feel that Winnipeg is so good and bad. I'm not sure about your team, but if I'm honest, really haven't followed you for a long time. What I can still say, love the outlook of this team now. Entertaining to watch and not to screw up.

But to sum it up, I do have more favorite teams (I just love hockey and interesting teams). I have no bias in a way (except maybe the Finnish thing you're doing :D), but loving the team right now. This game way a good way to demonstrate to the NHL that you're not just flying by. Good for you, or dare I say, good for us?

Reactions: McTusk and holy

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Would be amazing if Habs can poach one of Duchene/Stone to give Domi some help.

Domi - Duchene - Tatar // Tatar - Domi - Stone
Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia/Byron/Shaw (2/3 gets traded)

Are the Flames wanting out of the James Neal deal yet???

We have had some good luck acquiring Flames....

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Let's Go Joe!

tenor.gif

Reactions: jaffy27

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
Just dropping the fact that Danault has more point than Laine.

Danault is a very capable 2C, I can’t stand the opinion that he’s a 3C. It seems his reputation stops him to be viewed more than that.

Danault has continued developping which is why he's much better then a 3C now. I don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure he has one of the best faceoff percentage in the league, he's also always skating and has a good work ethic. He's actually showing he can score this year

Reactions: Hardworker33

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Drouin showed how good he was the last few games. He started skating and going in traffic with and without the puck. When he steps on the gas he's as good a player as you will see. His celebration on his 2nd goal made me smile, he really looks like he cares. fingers crossed.

having special units that work normally will help us kill games.

solid win.
Drouin playing like the guy we thought we were getting when we traded Sergachev for him

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It always gets difficult defending Johnny Drou lol..

But it sure is great to see him play so good, not as validation for the defending, oh god no, he has been absolutely brutal at times, no doubt about it

but its nice to see that it CAN be there

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Who said they were? The Flying Frenchmen were of the 50s and 60s. Backstrom, Road Runner, Lemaire, etc...
Are you saying the flying Frenchmen does not include the 70’s? I use to hear that term almost every game in the 70’s.,,

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Are you saying the flying Frenchmen does not include the 70’s? I use to hear that term almost every game in the 70’s.,,

It was used whenever the Habs were dominating, as was the case in the 70s.

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I gotta give credit where credit is due tho, Hudon played a massive game, i need more of that

Also, how f***ing hilarious was it to see Kotkaniemi blasting a one time goal WHILE FALLING DOWN, and Laine cant BUY a goal the last month lmao, i cant get over that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad