Post-Game Talk: Corks are Popping! Habs 5-2 over Jets

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
The TOI indicates those 3 were used in virtually the same way throughout. Nashville rotated the 3, well I guess the 4, but mostly Subban, Ekholm and Josi against the other team's top lines.

Using hockey reference.com

Subban Ozone starts - 49.6 Dzone starts 50.4
Josi -48.4 - 51.6
Ekholm - 48.7 -51.3
Ellis - 43.2 - 56.8 (Surprised me)

So, Subban had the most starts in the offensive zone.

According to Corsica Quality of Competition goes and for the rest I have no idea what they really mean, so going to post them all.

Ellis and Josi have 49.83 for CF% TOI
Subban and Ekholm are just below at 49.82

TOI QoC%

Josi 29.93
Ellis 29.92
Ekholm 29.86
Subban 29.85

TOIQoT

Subban 28.88
Ellis 28.74
Ekholm 28.71
Josi 28.42

CF% QoT
Ellis 54.01
Ekholm 51.05
Josi 50.71
Weber 50.03
Subban 49.74

Aside from this last one, they seem to indicate that once again, the d jobs were heavy on the 4, but spread out.

Why do I have to get reminded of how ugly the preds Jersey in a thread about the Habs best game of the season ?

Reactions: Acadien86

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Alot of the Ducks fans are convinced we are looking at their players...would like to see an add on also, but not at the expense of losing our 1st rd pick.
We should try to catch teams like Ott and Stl who traded away their 1st and might give up more in order to fetch a 1st again.

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Here's some stats that have sort of snuck up on us.

Garbage Phil Danault up to 40 points in 55 games to go with a team leading plus 22

Mete quietly has put himself 2nd in plus minus at plus 20

Weber has racked up 20 points in 31 games and is a plus 17. I definitely was not expecting him to be that good coming off a ridicously long layoff and no camp under his belt.
That's an illusion. He's on the decline, don't you know?

Reactions: Acadien86

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Here's some stats that have sort of snuck up on us.

Garbage Phil Danault up to 40 points in 55 games to go with a team leading plus 22

Mete quietly has put himself 2nd in plus minus at plus 20

Weber has racked up 20 points in 31 games and is a plus 17. I definitely was not expecting him to be that good coming off a ridicously long layoff and no camp under his belt.
Danault has been really impressive. After floating through October and November he's become tougher and much smarter. I hated what he looked like the first few weeks, but have to give him credit for becoming a real force out there.

Not surprised about Weber. Talking about his decline had become an ongoing conversation topic like talking about a Toronto Cup -- two events that have only happened in people's imagination.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Julien actually managed to make his own "Bergeron lite" line.

Danault is the closest thing we have style wise to Bergeron.
Gallagher is the closest thing we have style wise to Marchand.
Drouin is the closest thing we have style wise to Pasternak.

Now imagine the team when we'll have a 2nd line of Tatar-Domi-Shaw and a 4th line with Paul Byron??!!

Reactions: scrubadam

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Would be amazing if Habs can poach one of Duchene/Stone to give Domi some help.

Domi - Duchene - Tatar // Tatar - Domi - Stone
Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia/Byron/Shaw (2/3 gets traded)

Reactions: Redux91

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Julien actually managed to make his own "Bergeron lite" line.

Danault is the closest thing we have style wise to Bergeron.
Gallagher is the closest thing we have style wise to Marchand.
Drouin is the closest thing we have style wise to Pasternak.

Now imagine the team when we'll have a 2nd line of Tatar-Domi-Shaw and a 4th line with Paul Byron??!!

Gallagher has nothing to do with Marchand. Domi has more in common if you ask me. Forget about the pest factor, Marchand is in a totally different dimension than Gallagher skill-wise.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Gallagher has nothing to do with Marchand. Domi has more in common if you ask me. Forget about the pest factor, Marchand is in a totally different dimension than Gallagher skill-wise.

S-T-Y-L-E wise, and L-I-T-E version. Why would I forget about the pest factor? Just to make you right? No thanks.

Domi's a centermen and not the point I'm trying to make. FYI Gallagher had 3 less goals last season, and has 2 more goals this season. So those are some tiny dimensions you have there.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Danault has been really impressive. After floating through October and November he's become tougher and much smarter. I hated what he looked like the first few weeks, but have to give him credit for becoming a real force out there.

Not surprised about Weber. Talking about his decline had become an ongoing conversation topic like talking about a Toronto Cup -- two events that have only happened in people's imagination.

The thing about Danault is that he's not as good as he is playing now from a production standpoint, just like he isn't as bad when he was struggling. It's just the ups and downs of a marathon season. He has never really struck me as a floater.

About weber, it's not so much a decline that I'm talking about. Players typically struggle to find their game after a major injury, and missing camp altogether. That's true for a 33 or 23 year old. It's really a credit to him how he has jumped back into the lineup almost flawlessly, as if he missed no time at all.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
S-T-Y-L-E wise, and L-I-T-E version. Why would I forget about the pest factor? Just to make you right? No thanks.

Domi's a centermen and not the point I'm trying to make. FYI Gallagher had 3 less goals last season, and has 2 more goals this season. So those are some tiny dimensions you have there.

Marchand had more assists than gallagher had points those years.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I read a comparison between this team and the 2007-2008 Habs... There in fact are a lot of differences;

- 2007-2008 was heavily reliant on special units to produce offense. We actually are a much better 5 on 5 team.
- It was pointed out that everyone has a career year just like they did in 2007-2008... but in fact it cannot be further from the truth. Guys like Byron, Gallagher, Weber, Lehkonen, Price, Armia and Tatar are pretty much producing to the pace they're used to producing. Domi and Drouin are 23, and were both top-15 picks and top prospects when being drafted. It was EXPECTED that they would end up taking the next step... even if it's a bit more surprising in Domi's case. The only guy where we have a case of "well, he's not going to have a season like that ever again anytime soon" is Jeff Petry, Now it's one guy that's producing way more than he should be. But most players on this team are producing like we should expect of them. Danault, Drouin, Domi and Kotkaniemi are pretty much the difference with last season. And all are just taking the next step in their developement. If you were to ask me, I say Domi's probably a 60 points C in a normal year. Drouin's likely a 70 points winger. Danault is definitely a 50 points center. And who knows how good Kotkaniemi will be. Those 4 under-25 guys and a healthy Weber is the difference with last year.
- 2007-2008 was all about Kovalev's redemption and him taking the whole team on his back. This year, it's always a new guy stepping up. Lately it's been Drouin and Danault. Earlier it was Domi and Tatar. Now Price and Kotkaniemi seem ready to take things in their hands. Then you have Weber just being solid as always. It's way more of a team effort than it was in the Kovalev year.

All in all, this team reminds me more of the 2007-2008... Boston Bruins. Nobody expected anything out of that team. But a bunch of young guys (Lucic, Krejci, Kessel) started stepping up. Chara was rock solid. Their goalie problems disappeared. And their prospect pool was filled with promising young guys. I'd say we're a more talented team that was the Bruins were in 2007-2008, but I feel like our success is way more similar to theirs than it is to the 2007-2008 Habs.

Reactions: McTusk and Lshap

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

FFS are you serious? Marchand is a 85+ points player at this point. Gallagher hit 50 points once in his career. Marchand finished freaking 2nd in scoring in the 2016 World Cup and scored clutch goals all over the place. He plays a high-tempo game, is great in puck possession and has unreal hands.

There's absolutely nothing comparable between Gallagher and Marchand besides the fact they are pest. Nothing. Shaw has as much in common with Marchand as Gallagher. He in fact had a better PPG average before getting hurt.

Stop it already. Habs fans should just stop with those comparisons. It's ridiculous. We're making fools of ourselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad