Waived: Corey Tropp; claimed by Columbus

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I don't judge players based on a nine-game stint on the worst team in the league after just coming off a series of injuries. No doubt Tropp was bad this season, but I don't think we should give up on young players so quickly, especially if they have shown promise and hustle in the not so distant past.

I'm not sure it was a case of giving up on him as much as it was a risk they had to take if they wanted him to improve his game.

It's a risk 29 other NHL teams take every season. Sometimes it doesn't work. Nature of the beast.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't judge players based on a nine-game stint on the worst team in the league after just coming off a series of injuries. No doubt Tropp was bad this season, but I don't think we should give up on young players so quickly, especially if they have shown promise and hustle in the not so distant past.

Tropp has been bad defensively any time he has played in the NHL. He was worse than bad in his recent stint. As others have pointed out, if you can't play a strong defensive game as a bottom 6 forward you are a liability.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm not sure it was a case of giving up on him as much as it was a risk they had to take if they wanted him to improve his game.

It's a risk 29 other NHL teams take every season. Sometimes it doesn't work. Nature of the beast.

That wasn't the case at all. This was reactionary. Nolan snatched up one of his guys and Tropp paid the price.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't judge players based on a nine-game stint on the worst team in the league after just coming off a series of injuries.

No, instead you judge them on a 9 game streak to finish the 10-11 season, playing on a line he'll never belong on

No doubt Tropp was bad this season,

There's no doubt that Tropp has little to no NHL value... he's going to be a franchises career minor leaguer...

but I don't think we should give up on young players so quickly,

that's exactly what we should be doing. except, it's not giving up... it's making a rational assessment of talent, value, and long term projecting... and making firm decisions.

Contract maxes are an issue with the amount of draft picks we are adding over the next few years... we don't need dead weight.

when "giving up" on a player can also be a culture change/locker room motivator... it's even better.

especially if they have shown promise and hustle in the not so distant past.

shown promise? the only thing Tropp showed is that he's simply bad...

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Good luck to Corey hope he fits in well in C-bus. People need to relax about losing him though, it's not like he's a useful bottom 6 player like Paille was when we traded him. Players like Tropp are easily replaced.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
That wasn't the case at all. This was reactionary. Nolan snatched up one of his guys and Tropp paid the price.

Or maybe you're just jumping to conclusions.

Maybe Nolan recognized that Tropp needed a lot of work on his d-zone play, saw an experienced veteran on waivers and had LaFontaine claim him so that the organization could take the risk and try and push Tropp down to Rochester.

Your stance on Adam is just ludicrous and unfair to Luke, who has played pretty well thus far.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Or maybe you're just jumping to conclusions.

Maybe Nolan recognized that Tropp needed a lot of work on his d-zone play, saw an experienced veteran on waivers and had LaFontaine claim him so that the organization could take the risk and try and push Tropp down to Rochester.

Your stance on Adam is just ludicrous and unfair to Luke, who has played pretty well thus far.

He just hasn't sucked...i guess that could be considered playing pretty well.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Vogl on Tropp in TBN Blog

TBN: Tropp thankful for time in Buffalo, eager to show Sabres they made a mistake

"I was a little disappointed with what transpired," Tropp told The Buffalo News by phone. "It was an honor to be a Sabre. One of my greatest memories is my first game I ever played at home. It was real excitement.

"They were great to me and gave me an opportunity to get my first NHL games and help me grow as a person on and off the ice. I’m just very thankful for all the help they’ve given me while I was here."

"I was just trying to have the mind-set of wherever I end up or wherever I go I wanted to make sure I prove to them that it’s a mistake," Tropp told The News. "I’m a passionate player, and I think that shows in my play. It was definitely tough getting the news yesterday, but it’s exciting to have a good opportunity in front of me.

"At the end of the day, I’ve got to go out and hopefully make Buffalo regret making that move."

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Oh well.

I suspect the same crowd that dislikes waiving Tropp is the same crowd that disliked when the team waived Thorburn.

I disliked them losing Thorburn because they clearly didn't understand the rules at the time. He's also been an effective 4th liner for the Thrashers and Jets since. Regier basically gave him away because he didn't understand LTIR.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I disliked them losing Thorburn because they clearly didn't understand the rules at the time. He's also been an effective 4th liner for the Thrashers and Jets since. Regier basically gave him away because he didn't understand LTIR.

Thats what aggravated me about losing him as well.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan

Maybe I'm not entirely recalling the Thorburn situation. Either way, they're both cases involving a fourth-liner with little upside to be more. No reason to be upset over losing Tropp.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe I'm not entirely recalling the Thorburn situation. Either way, they're both cases involving a fourth-liner with little upside to be more. No reason to be upset over losing Tropp.

They hadn't LTIR'd Connolly and were just a few hundred thousand below the cap. So instead of putting him on LTIR, they waived Thorburn and left Connolly on the roster for a time until they figured out they were making a mistake. Hell, they were bringing guys up on game day for injury recall so they only had to pay a single day of salary.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
And Tropp has sucked. So your pro-Tropp, anti-Adam agenda makes little sense, especially considering their ages.

It's not an agenda. I've always liked Tropps game... I've never liked Adam's game. One has nothing to do with the other...nor is it influenced by any of the moves.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

No reason to care that people are upset by the move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad