Waived: Corey Tropp; claimed by Columbus

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
But anyways... I only get mad when I talk about it...

So have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
With all the 4th liners on this team, this really doesn't hurt. Shame he was never the same guy after the injuries.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This sucks. For a coach like Nolan who claims that it's all about the kumpeet, giving up on Tropper seems counter-intuitive.

Its not just about compete. Its about playing smart hockey and doing the little things that help your team win. Tropp doesn't do those little things very well, particularly defensively. In fact he is horrible defensively and because of that he is a liability when he is on the ice. He has the worst on ice Corsi on the team among forwards as well as the worst goals against/per 60min.

Yes he hustles. But he accomplishes very little of what he is suppose to while he is hustling.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
This sucks. For a coach like Nolan who claims that it's all about the kumpeet, giving up on Tropper seems counter-intuitive.

Competing isn't the same as hustling, it's being able to compete on a play, which means having a reasonable chance of successfully executing that play. Tropp competed in some ways and not in others. I hope he carves out a career but he's a marginal prospect in an organization loaded with prospects. They didn't want to play him because he was playing poorly so they assigned him to Rochester. This kind of thing happens all of the time. Tropp's way down on the list of players put on waivers over the past couple seasons.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Why not just create a phantom injury regarding his jaw, put him on ir for a week or so and then send him down on a conditioning stint. That could have kept him on the "team" while freeing up a spot and then either move someone not in the plans for a late round pick before the holiday freeze or send Adam back down. Seems like a mismanagement of an asset, he needs a year or two to fully heal.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Why not just create a phantom injury regarding his jaw, put him on ir for a week or so and then send him down on a conditioning stint. That could have kept him on the "team" while freeing up a spot and then either move someone not in the plans for a late round pick before the holiday freeze or send Adam back down. Seems like a mismanagement of an asset, he needs a year or two to fully heal.

Because they wanted him to actually play not stay here as a 4th liner. That was only going to happen in the AHL.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Competing isn't the same as hustling, it's being able to compete on a play, which means having a reasonable chance of successfully executing that play. Tropp competed in some ways and not in others. I hope he carves out a career but he's a marginal prospect in an organization loaded with prospects. They didn't want to play him because he was playing poorly so they assigned him to Rochester. This kind of thing happens all of the time. Tropp's way down on the list of players put on waivers over the past couple seasons.

Exactly. I could put on skates and hustle for the Sabres, but I suck. Just because I tried hard like Ted Nolan would want doesn't mean I shouldn't be sent through waivers.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

ya guys come on we could of just cheated, same old Sabres, Pegula is ruining this franchise :sarcasm:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Liked Tropp.

Completely indifferent to this move. His role can be filled by a wide number of others.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Dumb. Dumb asset management.

Lets not be melodramatic

Tropp has a lot of work to do on his game and because of that he hardly got ice time. In our current situation the only place he would get the ice time to work on his game was in the AHL. Had he stayed he would still be the liability he was and not get the ice time needed to work on his game. It was a catch 22 of sorts for him and the team.

They took a gamble and waved him. He was claimed. Not a big deal since the status quo with him wasn't working.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Liked his attitude, but he is a net negative on the ice. Not upset about this. The way Tropp plays, he will be back on IR by Christmas anyway.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Why are people saying Buffalo gave up on him too early? with the amount of draft picks we have finding a better 4th liner won't be hard. I hope he finds success in Columbus.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
People are upset by this move? Lol.

I'm indifferent. Good luck to Tropp in Columbus.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Milkbag always seemed to me like one of the new core of kids coming up, along with the likes of Ennis and Myers, though obviously more of the bottom 6 variety. So I'm mildly disappointed to see him go.

But to be too disappointed would be to ignore all of his issues. Hope he can become a consistent and successful NHLer eventually, in Columbus or wherever he may go in the future.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I like Tropp. I don't think he was given enough time to come back from his injuries and evaluate what he could offer the Sabres long term.
That's one reason I don't like this move.

The second reason is that the guy they got is one of Ted Nolan's hockey camp guys. Makes me wonder how much objectivity there is in the decision making process.

The biggest reason I don't like the move is that they need a GM to be making these moves. Lafontaine stated from the get go that he is not qualified to be a GM, yet here he is, acting as a GM and making a lot of moves. It's apparent that Ted Nolan is behind most of the moves that have been made. I just have to wonder how potential GM candidates view what's going on here with the Nolan/Lafontaine connection and wonder where or how they might fit in.

While I understand that Nolan and Lafontaine want to move the team forward, I think that every move they make in absence of a GM makes filling the new GM position tougher and tougher. Lafontaine has already said he's not qualified to be a GM. Yet here they are, making move after move after move. How is this going to sit with whomever they hire as GM? Quite frankly, I'd be wondering if it was implicit that Nolan remain as permanent head coach and how much power he (Nolan)has to make personnel decisions. How would you like to come into that situation as the new GM?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well, we can officially write off the 2007 draft. Good luck to Tropp in Columbus.

Given how disappointing '07's class turned out to be, is it really any surprise that Possler -- the guy they drafted with the pick from Brennan -- is hurt after showing some promise?

What a lousy year.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Given how disappointing '07's class turned out to be, is it really any surprise that Possler -- the guy they drafted with the pick from Brennan -- is hurt after showing some promise?

What a lousy year.

The 2007 draft was pretty disappointing as a whole, though, wasn't it? The Sabres' draft, of course, wasn't helped by the lack of a first round pick (though it wouldn't have been much better than the Brennan pick anyway)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad