Confirmed with Link: Corey Perry Signing with Tampa | 2 years, $1M AAV

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I've got a lot of concerns

He hasn't played a full regular season in some time. I think it's fair to question the health and fitness of a 36 year old player that looks like he's nearing the end of his career. And now with all the playoff games he's played in the last 12 months, what does that amount of wear and tear do to him?

Another question is where do you put him? He's too slow to play on the 4th with Maroon.

And then lastly what area of need does this really address? He's not a pk guy. Coleman and Goodrow lead the team in hits, but Perry isn't a big stat collector in that area either. He's got a lot of experience, but that's not really something we lack. Kind of a head scratcher.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Don't we have to lose somebody to make room for him? Seems pretty tight. Definitely helps solve the lower line depth issue though.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Really confused now by this and Bellemare signings. I get we lost several vets and you want to try to replace them but you've pretty much blocked your no longer waiver exempt prospects from getting a spot. Yes you want competition for places but those guys both got 2 year deals, they aren't going to sit in the pressbox the next two years while a kid plays. I would think we could try to deal one of them for futures or not sure why we didn't use a couple of them along with Johnson so we didn't have to take back an LTIR contract.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Could he play on top 6? Or 3rd line? I dont remember him so much on 5vs 5 But Killer Stankos Perry,Joaeph Colton Perry?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You could, but why would you want to? I don't think he's good enough to be a top 9 forward anymore

He was near a half ppg clip last year, he’s still productive offensively IMO but he’s definitely not going to win many races to the puck

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I think we end up with one odd man out due to cap/waivers. But this takes another forward spot unless the fourth line of Maroon - Bellemare - Perry ends up being unplayable, which I could see.

Best line since the Hanson brothers laced them up.

Reactions: ultra63

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Perry's numbers the last couple of seasons aren't even bad y'all, considering his role.

2017 has 53p in 82gp
2018 (71 GP) - 49 points
2019 (31 GP) - 10 points (not great)
2020 (57 GP) - 21 points (I'll take that 4th line production ALL DAY)
2021 (49 GP) - 21 points (same thing)

Marron has given us 23 and 18 point seasons, and no one complains about him. I like the Perry signing (depending on money, but that should be min)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Do not like. Don't think he's that great a fit. Don't like that he'll most likely block young ones from getting a chance.
I think they'll get to earn their chance still - his contract will be one we can always bury (same with Maroon). I don't know how next season is going to look w/r/t taxi squads, but that may be an option.

But - and we're talking really about Stephens, Raddysh, and Katchouk here - none of them are sure things. Hell - far from it. The AHL season was really weird this season and they looked good down there, but it's not something that I think we can bank on translating. I'm more comfortable going in with a lot of equivalent options for a few spaces and let the best of them win it than crossing our fingers and hoping *all* of them take a step.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I thought we didn't have any contracts left to hand out but checked and Jack Finley, because of his age and playing in the WHL last season, doesn't count as one of our 50 contracts.

I'm pretty sure with Perry we're definitely now at 50 (once our RFA guys sign). Definitely not a fan of Perry but he's a Bolt now whether I like it or not. Hopefully he fits in well with the group.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Officially 2x$1mil. It's not a bad deal for a guy that still has something to give. Only concern is what this means for ABB/Katchouk/Raddysh/Joseph/Stephens. Only room for 2-3 of them now and I think they are all waiver eligible. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of them get moved.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Value wise though, that's another good signing by JBB. Excellent move.

Still though, Corey Perry. Yuck!

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The Pierre move seems random now and almost unnecessary. But we'll see how that 4th line looks. It won't replicate what our 3rd line did in terms of scoring and shut down, but it could be a HUGE energy line (ala NYI) and get the crowd into, throw some hits, grind along the boards, cause some chaos ans punishment on the oppositions defense

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I think they'll get to earn their chance still - his contract will be one we can always bury (same with Maroon). I don't know how next season is going to look w/r/t taxi squads, but that may be an option.

But - and we're talking really about Stephens, Raddysh, and Katchouk here - none of them are sure things. Hell - far from it. The AHL season was really weird this season and they looked good down there, but it's not something that I think we can bank on translating. I'm more comfortable going in with a lot of equivalent options for a few spaces and let the best of them win it than crossing our fingers and hoping *all* of them take a step.

Good points. Competition for limited roster spots can be good for the kids. Hopefully at least one or more will make that next big step forward.

I'm just seeing a line with both Maroon and Perry as being slow as hell. A total PITA to play against line but s l o w.

Plus I don't care for Perry as I think he's a total POS. But I guess he's now our POS. :laugh:

Reactions: Stammertime91

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
f*** Corey Perry.

Gonna have to not hate him for a while I guess.
I'm not a fan of him either, but if he can play the Lightning in 2 tough Cup Finals, and then have Kuch show him a lot of respect in the handshake line after game 5, I can live with it (I think).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad