TSN: Corey Perry’s days may be numbered. Ducks looking to trade him.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Hard to say I think BM plans on being competitive this year, so he might put that money towards a top 4 RHD.

But I agree it would be dumb to give up assets to get rid of perry, and then do nothing with that money.

The UFA market for defensemen is pretty weak this year and the Ducks aren't players for high $ free agents anyway.

This isn't a situation where the Ducks need to give up assets to divest themselves of Perry. If there isn't a deal out there that GMBM is comfortable with then a buy-out is the next option. Personally, I'd rather just see the Ducks keep Perry and see what he has left in the tank this year but it seems both sides want him out of Anaheim. But proposals giving up draft picks and prospects with Perry are almost certainly a non-starter.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The UFA market for defensemen is pretty weak this year and the Ducks aren't players for high $ free agents anyway.

This isn't a situation where the Ducks need to give up assets to divest themselves of Perry. If there isn't a deal out there that GMBM is comfortable with then a buy-out is the next option. Personally, I'd rather just see the Ducks keep Perry and see what he has left in the tank this year but it seems both sides want him out of Anaheim. But proposals giving up draft picks and prospects with Perry are almost certainly a non-starter.

EK65 is a perfect fit, I don't think were going to go for him tho.

As for getting a RHD, we can trade for 1.... I have to imagine BM is going to make some sort of splashes this year to right the ship... not sure how much of a leash hell have after the RC issues.

And I agree that if wer not spending the money its dumb to give up assets to move him, but to move him I imagine our options are take in a bad contract in return, or give up a piece or 2.... im okay giving assets to move perry not the 9th or any top prospects but the 39th or someone of morands quality... if were actually going to look at options for RHD.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He has a NMC, if he goes it will be because he wants to.

It's very apparent that Perry and Murray aren't seeing eye to eye. Perry just bought a very expensive house in London - perhaps he'd prefer to play in the East at this point. Lesser travel schedule during the season + easier travel home, should give Perry a better chance at rejuvenation.

Ottawa really seems to make a lot of sense. Of all teams, we can be certain they'd appreciate that Perry makes $2.25M less salary than cap hit over his two remaining years.

Thought it was because he was downgrading. But it's just it would be nice to see him retire with the one NHL team he spent his career with. Although if he and Murray don't see eye-to-eye then I doubt he and Melnyk will get along. Detroit maybe the next best bet if he is to go anywhere.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Thought it was because he was downgrading. But it's just it would be nice to see him retire with the one NHL team he spent his career with. Although if he and Murray don't see eye-to-eye then I doubt he and Melnyk will get along. Detroit maybe the next best bet if he is to go anywhere.

Given past history (which could be too far in the past to matter - not sure) I'd be really surprised to see Perry ever play for Detroit.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
EK65 is a perfect fit, I don't think were going to go for him tho.

As for getting a RHD, we can trade for 1.... I have to imagine BM is going to make some sort of splashes this year to right the ship... not sure how much of a leash hell have after the RC issues.

And I agree that if wer not spending the money its dumb to give up assets to move him, but to move him I imagine our options are take in a bad contract in return, or give up a piece or 2.... im okay giving assets to move perry not the 9th or any top prospects but the 39th or someone of morands quality... if were actually going to look at options for RHD.

We probably differ in our interpretation of your bolded sentence. Yes, BM is going to make some changes (perhaps some very big ones) to right the ship. But IMO it will be more about re-working the roster to do exactly what he said he wanted to do...get younger and faster. I don't think he believes adding to the current core will produce a SC contender so he is looking to prune the roster and make decisions on some of the 25-28 year old players. I don't think prospects or draft picks are part of his agenda to move. If he can successfully divest the team of Perry, Eaves, and Kesler (the latter two via LTIR if nothing else) I believe he will have had a very positive off-season.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We probably differ in our interpretation of your bolded sentence. Yes, BM is going to make some changes (perhaps some very big ones) to right the ship. But IMO it will be more about re-working the roster to do exactly what he said he wanted to do...get younger and faster. I don't think he believes adding to the current core will produce a SC contender so he is looking to prune the roster and make decisions on some of the 25-28 year old players. I don't think prospects or draft picks are part of his agenda to move. If he can successfully divest the team of Perry, Eaves, and Kesler (the latter two via LTIR if nothing else) I believe he will have had a very positive off-season.
Yeah I think with kesler/eaves on ltir and perry potentially gone, we already injected a ton of youth and skill in the line up... and really the only/biggest hole in the line up a top 4 dmen…. a 1c to take over for getz… but I think getzlaf is fine for another 2-3 years. I mean realistically right now our line up is
Rakell(25) Steel(20) Silfverberg(28)
Ritchie(23) Getzlaf(33) Kase(23)
Jones(21) Henrique(28) Terry(21)
Shore(24) Rowney(29) Sprong(21)
-----------potential replacements under--------
Comtois(20), lundy(19), sheerwood(23)

Lindholm(25) Manson(27)
Fowler(27)
Larsson(21), Guhle(21), Mahura(20)

Gibson(25)

I mean how much younger can we realistically get... other than down the middle were pretty solid.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
If true, pretty sad ending to his career with the Ducks. I cant stand him, but he's been a cornerstone for their team as long as anyone there.

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
Lehkonen, Ikonen and a 2nd aren't sexy pieces by any means but that's three valuable assets that should/could be decent contributors for your team. I mean, Perry is hardly better than Lehkonen right now so I'm not even sure if we become a better team today by doing that deal, let alone in the future. And we're retaining 50% on Alzner in the proposal so we're still left with almost $3M of dead cap.
Ducks could also buyout Alzner at any point. Both teams get .5345x 6 years if done right away, .417x 4 if done in the 2nd year, .583x2 if done in the last year. I'd bury him in the first year then buy him out the second if I were the Ducks.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’m not sure what the ambition to move Perry’s contract is for the Ducks. If someone takes it on cheap then sure, but if not they still have over 9M in cap space with no major raises coming these next two offseasons. Unless they are 99% confident they can land a UFA big fish there is no need.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I’m not sure what the ambition to move Perry’s contract is for the Ducks. If someone takes it on cheap then sure, but if not they still have over 9M in cap space with no major raises coming these next two offseasons. Unless they are 99% confident they can land a UFA big fish there is no need.

I think the team's depth in scoring line winger options is a big factor. Perry really isn't suited to a checking role, and we have all these wingers, mostly younger guys, to squeeze into six spots on scoring lines (Silfverberg, Kase, Terry, Sprong on Perry's natural RW and then Rakell, Ritchie, Comtois, Jones on the left).

Perry just doesn't fit the roster anymore, it's time to see what these kids can do with that ice time. So if we can be rid of a good portion of his remaining commitment, without sacrificing too much in the way of futures, it's definitely worth considering.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think the team's depth in scoring line winger options is a big factor. Perry really isn't suited to a checking role, and we have all these wingers, mostly younger guys, to squeeze into six spots on scoring lines (Silfverberg, Kase, Terry, Sprong on Perry's natural RW and then Rakell, Ritchie, Comtois, Jones on the left).

Perry just doesn't fit the roster anymore, it's time to see what these kids can do with that ice time. So if we can be rid of a good portion of his remaining commitment, without sacrificing too much in the way of futures, it's definitely worth considering.

That’s a good assessment and makes total sense. Just don’t see Anaheim moving prime assets out when they don’t really need the cap. I think he will either stay and the Ducks will see if he can rebound or bite the bullet and buy him out.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

It is all that you said and probably more that we don't know. There is something going on behind the scenes that has really rubbed BM and probably ownership the wrong way. It appears mutual and beyond repair. If it were anything else, the best option for the Ducks would have been to see if Perry could have a rebound year with his leg injury behind him and then try to trade him at the TDL or next year with only one year left on his contract. Seems like that would have maximized him as an asset more than what they are doing now. So be it.

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
I don't know the exact salary structure of his contract, but there's no way he's simply retiring and leaving millions on the table.

Would you do that?

Absolutely not. I meant it in terms of hes washed up. He’s not worth trading for unless salary is significantly He’s a cap dump, and would have to be shipped along with an asset worth taking on his salary. Honestly, he’s a prime candidate for a buy out.

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
That’s a good assessment and makes total sense. Just don’t see Anaheim moving prime assets out when they don’t really need the cap. I think he will either stay and the Ducks will see if he can rebound or bite the bullet and buy him out.

He was skating better after finally getting the knee surgery he needed for over 2 years, so moving him now at negative value or for other teams bad contracts on the proposals we see here would be a big mistake.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad