TSN: Corey Perry’s days may be numbered. Ducks looking to trade him.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How long do you think you will make the playoffs? Another 6 years?

Ducks should be able to squeeze into the playoffs next season. How far they go remains to be unseen, and it depends how the vets bounce back like Getzlaf, how Gibson does, and how the young core does. Not in a rebuilding mode like some people think, it's more like re-tooling, and making tweaks here and there. Shedding Perry's contract will certainly open up opportunities to improve the team and fill some holes. May be able to get a Top 4D with that money.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Perry @50%
Manson
For
Marleau
Kadri
2nd round pick 2020

it doesn't help the Ducks. Anaheim has 1 top 4 (or even NHL quality) RHD. To pry Manson away would require a monumental overpayment, not something that you would deem fair. Ducks are in the same position as Toronto when it comes to RHD, they need to add more quality ones. Not to mention that it would likely block Steel from making the big club... he looked ready at the end of the season. Anaheim's needs are future #1 C (not in the proposal), top 4 RHD (actually subtracts one in the proposal). Getting rid of Perry is more of a want than a need since the Ducks aren't really in financial trouble.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We're working on getting rid of perry, kesler/eaves are on LTIR.... only really expensive contract is getzlaf. Fowlers contract is okay, prob a little high but hes still young enough to bounce back next year...

Henrique contract isn't prob as bad as people make it out to be, its basically market value... and with perry/kesler/eaves/getz comin off... were going to have a decent amount of money. and hes a good leader/player to have around our young centers like Steel/lundy etc.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ducks should be able to squeeze into the playoffs next season. How far they go remains to be unseen, and it depends how the vets bounce back like Getzlaf, how Gibson does, and how the young core does. Not in a rebuilding mode like some people think, it's more like re-tooling, and making tweaks here and there. Shedding Perry's contract will certainly open up opportunities to improve the team and fill some holes. May be able to get a Top 4D with that money.
They are not getting rid of the entire $8 million cap hit for Perry. He’s not getting moved for a pick.

There’s something more than simply the cap for the ducks to want to move off him.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
To DAL
Perry ($2.65M retained)

To ANA
Hanzal

If my math is right—and it may not be—Ducks save in cap hit ($1.225M in Y1 and $6M in Y2) and real money ($5.7M total). Stars get serviceable player thats not on LTIR all year. Most Stars fans hate Perry, though, so there’s that.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
To DAL
Perry ($2.65M retained)

To ANA
Hanzal

If my math is right—and it may not be—Ducks save in cap hit ($1.225M in Y1 and $6M in Y2) and real money ($5.7M total). Stars get serviceable player thats not on LTIR all year. Most Stars fans hate Perry, though, so there’s that.

Seems about right, maybe the Ducks make a small addition to account for the cap space in year two.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

Good luck getting cap space. That's why I added Getzlaf who still holds value to my proposal.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good luck getting cap space. That's why I added Getzlaf who still holds value to my proposal.

Getzlaf is still the Ducks 1C, and he is not going anywhere. He is also going to help influence the young guys. I don't expect them to be fully cleared of Perry's contract but if a buy out can be avoided, then maybe go that way.

"Not the Momma!"

Sorry couldn't resist. :p

Reactions: ShadowDuck

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
a consensus is needed on really what Perry has in the tank.
Are his skills merely diminished?
Or is his production non-existent (virtually or actually effectively) due this his knees?

Once that can be ascertained honestly, we need a consensus from Ducks fans as to the direction they want to go and what they realistically expect.

If he actually is no longer productive and just can't be put on LTIR at the moment, and IF Ana wants to go w/cap space as best return while trying to extend Getzlaf window, then instead of eating on buyout and keeping your 1st this year, I could see someone taking on most of the cap hit for the 2 yrs remaining for your top pick.

e.g,, Smith at 4.3ish for Perry at 8.6+ and your 1st for eating the salary on our cap.
I usually want a 2nd or 3rd outright for each yr of taking on a contract, depending on how much is being eaten, but I could see swallowing that for 2 yrs for 9OA.

I am not saying that is your best deal, I am saying that is a fit if certain conditions as to worst case for Perry apply and you want cap now more than a quality asset later.
It also assumes Perry, barring an unexpected miraculous recovery, while still forced to be on our roster, will take a no show paycheck. Some guys go down hard. Matter of pride. I remember at the end Chris Drury, who was such an iron man for a while, fought til the last as he broke down slowly at first, then all at once.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
a consensus is needed on really what Perry has in the tank.
Are his skills merely diminished?
Or is his production non-existent (virtually or actually effectively) due this his knees?

Once that can be ascertained honestly, we need a consensus from Ducks fans as to the direction they want to go and what they realistically expect.

If he actually is no longer productive and just can't be put on LTIR at the moment, and IF Ana wants to go w/cap space as best return while trying to extend Getzlaf window, then instead of eating on buyout and keeping your 1st this year, I could see someone taking on most of the cap hit for the 2 yrs remaining for your top pick.

e.g,, Smith at 4.3ish for Perry at 8.6+ and your 1st for eating the salary on our cap.
I usually want a 2nd or 3rd outright for each yr of taking on a contract, depending on how much is being eaten, but I could see swallowing that for 2 yrs for 9OA.

I am not saying that is your best deal, I am saying that is a fit if certain conditions as to worst case for Perry apply and you want cap now more than a quality asset later.
It also assumes Perry, barring an unexpected miraculous recovery, while still forced to be on our roster, will take a no show paycheck. Some guys go down hard. Matter of pride. I remember at the end Chris Drury, who was such an iron man for a while, fought til the last as he broke down slowly at first, then all at once.

Regardless of direction, we aren't using a top 10 pick to dump money. That's terrible asset management, and there's absolutely no precedence for it.

The Ducks aren't pushing to contend, highly doubt they're going to give up any key future assets to clear cap space. But your idea is far too ambitious either way.

Reactions: duckpuck

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Or we could buy him out, keep our best forward, and still gain over 6 million in cap space?

Yes, but if you buy him out, you’re stuck with a cap hit of 6.625 or something like that in year 2. The other three years aren’t so bad, but that second year is rough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad