Coping with Covid-19 - Discussion continued as social distancing in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Imagine getting mad at a president saying 'we have this under control'
Should he tell people he doesn't and to freak out? lirl

That is a fair point. I find it is just as dangerous to lean the other way and say he will open back up near Easter but you are correct. No way he steps up to the pdium and says all hope is lost

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Another couple groceries last 2 days have enforced the headcount and spacing requirements here in Calgary; Superstore and Coop along with HomeDepot.

Haven't seen it yet from Lowes, Sobey's/Safeway/Walmart.

Need referees at entrances and exist, and linesmen on the aisles.

So far I have not seen idiots saying screw that, regardless of age, but I'm sure they are out there lurking, waiting.
The liquor store hired a security guard to enforce it. I had to wait in line, at least 2 m apart.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I know, kind of lets you know who they are when they praise the creator of the problem equally to POTUS.

Well.... feeding the narcissism of leaders necessary to benefit the world isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

The alternative is that you back them into a corner and their sociopathic side takes over.

Before the Trump Cult trips over themselves, let’s add Italy to the list of countries that the WHO is praising:

World Health Organization praises Italy's efforts in virus epidemic

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Speaking of alcohol... I haven't had a beer or any alcohol since December but I'm getting darn close to giving in. I wanted to wait until Easter. I even have a lime in my fridge mocking me.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Well.... feeding the narcissism of leaders necessary to benefit the world isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

The alternative is that you back them into a corner and their sociopathic side takes over.

Before the Trump Cult trips over themselves, let’s add Italy to the list of countries that the WHO is praising:

World Health Organization praises Italy's efforts in virus epidemic
Agreed

Hug a Chinese Campaign Ran in Florence Before Coronavirus Outbreak

Good job says WHO. hahahaha

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Because I live in Ontario so any important Ontario info will be on here. Also up until recently this board was free from TDS unlike the Oilers board.

We try to avoid talking politics here, it just makes people more angry. Things have changed slightly due to boredom..

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Italy is reporting 919 deaths :(

i feel really bad for the folks over there

I read somewhere that they are just slapping CV on all elderly deaths in Italy right now. Think about the numbers below very carefully lol

Of the roughly 150,000 people who die each day across the globe, about two thirds—100,000 per day—die of age-related causes.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I read somewhere that they are just slapping CV on all elderly deaths in Italy right now. Think about the numbers below very carefully lol

Of the roughly 150,000 people who die each day across the globe, about two thirds—100,000 per day—die of age-related causes.

this post absolutely DISGUSTS me

Reactions: Ignatius Reilly

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
this post absolutely DISGUSTS me

I know if it's true it's really terrible, they shouldn't be rushing to conclusions. The point being that for a population of 60,000,000 that number is not even at outrageous levels. It's sad, but if this thing is running through nursing homes and hospitals with critical care patients, it's going to spike like this and then slow down.

It's killing the weak now, there will be less weak, next week. Covid19 is the Grim Reaper virus for old and sick people.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
that's exactly what i said. I'm 12 inches from 2 people for 15mins. seems counter-intuitive.
I realize it's counter intuitive but where I work we don't have the staff to control outside as well as inside. At some point people have to do it themselves. As we have seen with the fact the government is closing parks along with stores that most people just don't get it. Its sad how much the government has to babysit us.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

There's probably something inbetween your thinking and totally accepting what is being reported. What numbers I'd like to see, maybe someone has them, is what is the increase in the number of pneumonia (all) cases requiring ventilators happening at hospitals versus usual number at this time of year. Then the same numbers with regards to deaths from pneumonia. I think those numbers would give a good representation of the extent and deadliness of this virus.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There's probably something inbetween your thinking and totally accepting what is being reported. What numbers I'd like to see, maybe someone has them, is what is the increase in the number of pneumonia (all) cases requiring ventilators happening at hospitals versus usual number at this time of year. Then the same numbers with regards to deaths from pneumonia. I think those numbers would give a good representation of the extent and deadliness of this virus.

I want all that data, can't find any of it. Not available unless you count random doctors or people saying oh it's not as bad as we thought. It's a bad flu etc. No doubt it's killing sick and elderly people very efficiently which is awful but, without the proper data we have no idea if 4000 cases in Canada is terrible or not. I mean, if it's 4000 cases with 1% in Hospital, that's not so bad. If it's 20% of them in hospital, we have another beast on our hands.

Reactions: mmalady

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

Fine. Explain what is going on instead of posting non sensical shit all the time

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

Just so we're clear. That gentleman from Loblaws who just died in Oshawa I have known for years. He wasn't 50 and while he wasn't in great shape he didn't have a tonne on underlying issues.

My in law who is suffering has been healthy. So before you continue to shoot your mouth off start thinking about what you will say when it hits close to home for you

Reactions: Its not your fault

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Fine. Explain what is going on instead of posting non sensical shit all the time

I did earlier. It seems the science is not settled, a certain narrative is louder in the media.

"This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively."

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

How old are they and are they in the hospital on a ventilator? I had something around the time the 2009 virus was going around and I was extremely sick for a couple days in bed. I got another illness a couple years ago in 2018 that was hell as well. Outside that I don't really get sick but it happens.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I did earlier. It seems the science is not settled, a certain narrative is louder in the media.

"This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively."

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

How old are they and are they in the hospital on a ventilator? I had something around the time the 2009 virus was going around and I was extremely sick for a couple days in bed. I got another illness a couple years ago in 2018 that was hell as well. Outside that I don't really get sick but it happens.

So what you are doing is following one article published that suggests this point of view.

Meanwhile, outside of the media there are dozens of published material that suggests otherwise. Almost all from institutes who have spent their entire existence studying this.

Reactions: Its not your fault

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So what you are doing is following one article published that suggests this point of view.

Meanwhile, outside of the media there are dozens of published material that suggests otherwise. Almost all from institutes who have spent their entire existence studying this.

That's the head of the CDC. Top credibility you can get.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Even if you take that out the list doesn’t get that much better. Trump is getting fact checked by his own administration who have to explain after the fact that what Trump said in his daily press conference is wrong and not what’s actually happening.

Look at when he falsely announced he was closing the border and then people swarmed airports trying to get home in time. Despite the fact that, US citizens, green card holders could return at any time. He said the border would be closed to trade, except that was also wrong.

The media isn’t perfect but at least they admit when they are wrong, Trump doesn’t. He just repeats the lie and suddenly it’s now also the truth to his followers.

Agreed to be honest. It just doesn't do any good repeating the same thing over and over when it's not true and the "hoax" line is what everyone keeps repeating.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
You aren’t going to actually argue that Trump downplayed the threat of the virus while many were calling for action?

I know there is debate over his equating the “impeachment hoax” to criticism he received over inaction as the “democrats new hoax”.

He then when on to say they had 15 infections and within a few days it would be zero.

Let’s not get lost in the word smithing in some kellyanne Conway trippy sort of way.

The President did not take this threat seriously and downplayed the risks to Americans... and cult followers here in Canada too.

And that is why they are now the epicentre of the world outbreak.

No, I never said any of that. He didn't call it a hoax. Some mediot lied and said he called it a hoax. You'd be way better off not repeating a lie which actually gives your adversaries ammunition.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
That's the head of the CDC. Top credibility you can get.

Although that really doesn't say anyrhing about it being 0.1 percent like a flu I do in all seriousness hope you are right that it is being overblown. The other reality is terrible

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Although that really doesn't say anyrhing about it being 0.1 percent like a flu I do in all seriousness hope you are right that it is being overblown. The other reality is terrible

It is not overblown.

Most of the studies say caronavirus but caronavirus have different classifications like SARS, MERS and now COVID-19

The only way to so call "get back to business" is if we test all 37 million people in Canada; isolate who has the virus and enforce "self-isolation"

Data already suggests that the disease spread is exponential and spreads faster than previous CaronaViruses; although fatality rates may be higher for folks that have underlying health conditions or old;

patients requiring hospitalizations have a broad age-range (with or without underlying health conditions); so if hospitals are over burdened; even younger patients would not have survive with limited hospital beds/respirators.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
It is not overblown.

Most of the studies say caronavirus but caronavirus have different classifications like SARS, MERS and now COVID-19

The only way to so call "get back to business" is if we test all 37 million people in Canada; isolate who has the virus and enforce "self-isolation"

Data already suggests that the disease spread is exponential and spreads faster that previous CaronaViruses; although fatality rates may be higher for folks that have underlying health conditions or old;

patients requiring hospitalizations have a broad age-range (with or without underlying health conditions); so if hospitals are over burdened; even younger patients would not have survive with limited hospital beds/respirators.

Agreed. Thanks for everything you have been posting. It is refreshing to not be jousting with you over Nylander/Marner but I also can't wait to get back at er

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad