TSN: Cooke - Suspended 7 games.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Paul Stewart on cooke

"The Snake, the Wolf and the Cooke

Paul Stewart

" Was anyone truly surprised by the incident last night in which Minnesota Wild forward Matt Cooke stuck out his knee and injured Colorado Avalanche defenseman Tyson Barrie? Don't tell me that you actually bought into Cooke's whole "I'm a changed man" routine that he's been spouting ever since he realized his NHL career was in jeopardy because of his staggering past rap sheet.

Let me tell you something about pledges like that: They never truly last. It's always just a matter of time until the next incident.

A snake may shed its skin. It may lie in the weeds for a long period of time, seemingly dormant. Guess what: I'ts still a snake. Are you going to trust that the snake has suddenly been tamed? If it's bitten you before but its handlers (i.e., coaches) swear it has been devenomized, you'd be a fool not to still be wary.

A snake will always be snake. The wolf in sheep's clothing is still a wolf.

Matt Cooke is still Matt Cooke. Do you want to know why, in my opinion, he can't truly get away from leading with knees or elbows? He hits but doesn't really want to, so he looks for shortcuts. Rather than playing a clean hitting game, he sticks out elbows and knees.

Even when you deliver a clean body check in a legitimate attempt to create a turnover, it can hurt and wear you down, too. You feel the impact, even if the other guy gets the worse end of it. It takes courage to hit cleanly.

I laughed out loud a few years ago when I found out that the same folks who scoffed at Jaromir Jagr being nominated for the Masterton Trophy were the ones who had made Cooke a nominee. Neither guy won the award, but that's beside the point.

Let's weigh the scales here. Jagr, one of the greatest players ever to play this game, got nominated that year because he keeps himself in incredible physical condition and has spent the latter part of his career trying to help mentor young players. Cooke's act of "perseverance and dedication" was basically to try harder for a little while to play within the rules -- before the next inevitable major incident took place at some then-unknown future date.

Such a credit to the game, that Matt Cooke.

I have seen players like Cooke before. Bryan Marchment was always "remorseful" when he took out someone's knee -- until the next time he did it. Ulf Samuelsson couldn't be trusted on the ice. Darcy Tucker tried to make himself feared, but was such a lightweight that opposing players just shrugged him off most of the time.

For all that hockey's critics hoot and holler about players whose job it is to fight, it is the players like Matt Cooke and Raffi Torres that really put a blight on our game.

Cooke is getting an in-person hearing, so the only question now is whether he sits for the rest of the series or gets something that guarantees he's done for the playoffs. In my view, Cooke has forfeited his privilege to play this game.

But the real fools here are the ones who actually trusted that a serial recidivist had truly reformed for good. As any cop or any judge how many repeated felons swear to them they've changed their ways. The criminal may stay out of trouble for awhile. Even so, any cop or judge worth his salt knows that, in all probability, they'll be crossing paths with the same person again in the future.

I would have loved for Matt Cooke to have proven me wrong last time, but I knew in my heart he wouldn't. He couldn't restrain himself, despite at least a half dozen chances and past suspensions. Now the NHL needs to do the right thing.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not enough. I feel bad for thei next guy he's gonna injure.

Nah, surely he'll be fully reformed by then:sarcasm:

Shanahan, Quintal, I want a neutral party who isn't rubbing elbows with these guys making the suspensions......gimme Dave Branch, there's a guy who lays the hammer down.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Nah, surely he'll be fully reformed by then:sarcasm:

Shanahan, Quintal, I want a neutral party who isn't rubbing elbows with these guys making the suspensions......gimme Dave Branch, there's a guy who lays the hammer down.

Dave Branch is ****ing horrible, he gave Ho-Sang 15 games for what was a two minute penalty at most because he injured a London Knights and Knight really favours the Knights. Stolarz slashed Ho-Sang in the back of the head and only got eight games, then Branchie took a couple off so he could start the Memorial Cup after London got eliminated from the playoffs.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
*a few months from now*

"matt cooke has injured another player on a borderline play! surely this time will be curtains!"

matt cooke in league office:

itchyandscratchythemovie4.png

"aw, just look at that hang-dog expression! he's learned his lesson! let's get him a present!"

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Cooke only gets 7 games for a text book cheap shot. Using this as a baseline for other incidents how can anyone ask for suspensions when:

Lucic nut taps a guy.
Marchand ducks under a check.
Chara rides a guy into a stanchion.

With this type of leniency on Cooke, it is almost impossible for the NHL to suspend guys for hits that are "almost clean" not to mention how the NHL could ever justify Thornton's suspension.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Seems like the whole definition of repeat offender in the CBA really prevents justice in a situation like this with a player such as Cooke. A couple people have mentioned the Thornton incident and him not being a repeat offender. Didn't Raffi.Torres get 25 games for his hit on Hossa? Obviously in a similar league as Cooke but because he was defined as a repeat offender at the time he got 3.5 times what Cooke got. It's hard to believe that incident is truly worth 3.5 times what Cooke got from an intent and reckless scale.

mHlnGXt9Xlnn1Qes3Vtn

Dec 9, 2011
How can they even call themselves the Department of Player Safety?

Matt Cooke presents the biggest on-ice danger to the players since the days when the nets were basically bolted into the concrete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad