TSN: Cooke - Suspended 7 games.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I've slept on it. I still think it's crap. What the hell does Cooke have on the NHL that they continuously allow him back in this game? Has he not taken out enough players for them to see that he's a worthless POS yet?!!

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
7 is the same amount he got last time he was suspended. You would think if you are a repeat offender you would get more the next time around. I thought thats how this whole "punishment system" was put out? Its like saying we know you didn't learn your lesson last time but heres another chance, make that 6th chance. Theres something not right there and it needs to change, the level of inconsistency with player safety is baffling.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
7 playoff games does not equal 7 regular season games, and that's the start of the problem here. As long as that methodology is used, you'll see this. But had this been in the regular season, it would have been over 20 games, which is about right I guess.

I would have been happy around 11 playoff games (the rest of this series and the whole next one). 7 is a bit light.

All I know is his next one has to be for the whole playoffs, and his next regular season one has got to be 30.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I want him out of the NHL. If there is a petition I will sign it.

Funny you say that.

I was considering starting one. My only problem is whether I want one specifically related to this suspension or supplemental discipline in general. Was leaning towards the latter since the first one would never get enough signatures in time to do anything about it.

member 96824

7 playoff games does not equal 7 regular season games, and that's the start of the problem here. As long as that methodology is used, you'll see this. But had this been in the regular season, it would have been over 20 games, which is about right I guess.

I would have been happy around 11 playoff games (the rest of this series and the whole next one). 7 is a bit light.

All I know is his next one has to be for the whole playoffs, and his next regular season one has got to be 30.

Why his next one though? Why the literally the 24th incident where you draw the line?

Curious to know the thinking

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Paul Stewart on cooke

"The Snake, the Wolf and the Cooke

Paul Stewart

" Was anyone truly surprised by the incident last night in which Minnesota Wild forward Matt Cooke stuck out his knee and injured Colorado Avalanche defenseman Tyson Barrie? Don't tell me that you actually bought into Cooke's whole "I'm a changed man" routine that he's been spouting ever since he realized his NHL career was in jeopardy because of his staggering past rap sheet.

Let me tell you something about pledges like that: They never truly last. It's always just a matter of time until the next incident.

A snake may shed its skin. It may lie in the weeds for a long period of time, seemingly dormant. Guess what: I'ts still a snake. Are you going to trust that the snake has suddenly been tamed? If it's bitten you before but its handlers (i.e., coaches) swear it has been devenomized, you'd be a fool not to still be wary.

A snake will always be snake. The wolf in sheep's clothing is still a wolf.

Matt Cooke is still Matt Cooke. Do you want to know why, in my opinion, he can't truly get away from leading with knees or elbows? He hits but doesn't really want to, so he looks for shortcuts. Rather than playing a clean hitting game, he sticks out elbows and knees.

Even when you deliver a clean body check in a legitimate attempt to create a turnover, it can hurt and wear you down, too. You feel the impact, even if the other guy gets the worse end of it. It takes courage to hit cleanly.

I laughed out loud a few years ago when I found out that the same folks who scoffed at Jaromir Jagr being nominated for the Masterton Trophy were the ones who had made Cooke a nominee. Neither guy won the award, but that's beside the point.

Let's weigh the scales here. Jagr, one of the greatest players ever to play this game, got nominated that year because he keeps himself in incredible physical condition and has spent the latter part of his career trying to help mentor young players. Cooke's act of "perseverance and dedication" was basically to try harder for a little while to play within the rules -- before the next inevitable major incident took place at some then-unknown future date.

Such a credit to the game, that Matt Cooke.

I have seen players like Cooke before. Bryan Marchment was always "remorseful" when he took out someone's knee -- until the next time he did it. Ulf Samuelsson couldn't be trusted on the ice. Darcy Tucker tried to make himself feared, but was such a lightweight that opposing players just shrugged him off most of the time.

For all that hockey's critics hoot and holler about players whose job it is to fight, it is the players like Matt Cooke and Raffi Torres that really put a blight on our game.

Cooke is getting an in-person hearing, so the only question now is whether he sits for the rest of the series or gets something that guarantees he's done for the playoffs. In my view, Cooke has forfeited his privilege to play this game.

But the real fools here are the ones who actually trusted that a serial recidivist had truly reformed for good. As any cop or any judge how many repeated felons swear to them they've changed their ways. The criminal may stay out of trouble for awhile. Even so, any cop or judge worth his salt knows that, in all probability, they'll be crossing paths with the same person again in the future.

I would have loved for Matt Cooke to have proven me wrong last time, but I knew in my heart he wouldn't. He couldn't restrain himself, despite at least a half dozen chances and past suspensions. Now the NHL needs to do the right thing.

Excellent! Well said, Stewie!

member 96824

Because I don't own a time machine?

What? This doesn't make sense.

So, Matt Cooke's 23rd offense is where you'd keep the punishment medium, but 24 is where you'd drop the hammer and make it serious...and that's cause you don't own a time machine?

I'm lost...could you explain further?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
What? This doesn't make sense.

So, Matt Cooke's 23rd offense is where you'd keep the punishment medium, but 24 is where you'd drop the hammer and make it serious...and that's cause you don't own a time machine?

I'm lost...could you explain further?

I think he means he doesn't have a time machine to go back in time to change the suspensions he's already had?

At least that's what I took it as :p:

member 96824

I think he means he doesn't have a time machine to go back in time to change the suspensions he's already had?

At least that's what I took it as :p:

Ahhh I guess that makes sense, kind of a "what is done is done" thing. I still think that the merits of this suspension is still highly debatable, even if it obviously won't change anything(because nothing on the board changes anything but we still talk about it :))

Of course, I've been saying they need to drop the hammer on the next Matt Cooke suspension for years now:laugh:

Amazing that this guy gets off unscathed every time.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
I'm talking someone take his knee out, or run him like he did Savard. You'd think at some point someone would have the chance to really light him up, and take it.

I don't condone it, just think karma would have gotten this POS.

I always watch this hit and it makes me feel a little better. Too bad Samuelsson got up. Hopefully, next time an NHL player will administer the justice that the NHL is too chicken*** to do. That day I hope that Cooke gets taken off the ice on a blotter.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I'm talking someone take his knee out, or run him like he did Savard. You'd think at some point someone would have the chance to really light him up, and take it.

I don't condone it, just think karma would have gotten this POS.

You need a snake to kill a snake, and what would it profit the very few players on Cooke's level (Torres, Kaleta maybe) to give him a deliberate, career-ending head or knee shot? An honest, stand-up player isn't going to lower himself to do that, unless he's in an absolute blind fury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad