TSN: Cooke - Suspended 7 games.

MaritimeHockeyNut

Rehabilitated Troll
Nov 26, 2010
Maritimes
Didnt see this anywhere on the board but our beloved Matt Cooke took out Barrie with his knee.

Of course Cooke should be suspended. Actually isnt there a point where you gotta say enough and just ban the guy from hockey?

Definitely get the rest of the playoffs IMO but I would give him one season at least.

Link
e1qsg7

TSN reports that cookes history DOES come into question when deciding a suspension and length. 18month rule only refers to loss of salary. There is no other rule that would clear Cooke's past history http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=450109

TSN said:
" A player's record is expunged if he goes 18 months without an infraction but that only applies to the formula for calculating lost wages. If a player has a fine or suspension in last 18 months, he's a repeat offender and the lost wages formula is based on number of games suspended (5/82 for a five game suspension) as opposed to number of days (5/182 for a five game suspension in a 182-day regular season).But a player's "history" stays with him as a permanent record and the NHL can take into account any or all past transgressions when determining length of a suspension."

"Article 18.2 of the CBA provides a list of the factors the league will consider when determining supplementary discipline. They are as follows:
(c) The status of the offender and, specifically, whether the Player has a history of being subject to Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice Conduct. Players who repeatedly violate League Playing Rules will be more severely punished for each new violation.

Bolded within the CBA.

Gone for seven

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=450237

NHL

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=716017&navid=nhl:topheads

Last edited:

Kaoz*

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Toss that ass out of the NHL head first. :rant:

Garbage player...take out the trash.:rant:

I am sick of seeing cooke hurt other players...Not good hockey. :rant:

The list is getting longer.

Last playoffs there was that hit from behind on Quaider...The Karlsson "accident"

It is disgusting and the NHL should feel shame for allowing it to continue.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
some are saying he has no history due to his last issue being over 18 months ago according to the new CBA

(i have not verified this)

pathetic if true

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I posted the repeat offender thing and here it is again.

The CBA also defines "repeat offender" at Section 5(d) of Exhibit 8:

"tatus as a "first" or "repeat" offender shall be re-determined every eighteen (18) months. For example, where a Player is suspended for the first time, he is a repeat offender if he is suspended again within eighteen (18) months of the first incident. If he is not suspended a second time within this eighteen (18) month period, he will no longer be treated as a repeat offender for disciplinary purposes.

Don't forget, though, that even if a player is not a "repeat offender" as contemplated by the CBA, the NHL can still consider a player's history as per Section 6(e).

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Bob McKenzie saying they already diagnosed a torn MCL. Out 4-6 weeks.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
As pointed out above the NHL can still look at his prior history even if he has been clean for the mandated period. I don't think there is any doubt they will do that. The fact he put Barrie out for the rest of the playoffs should also be taken into consideration given the league has looked at the extent of injuries in the past. It was such an obvious malicious move. Combine that with Cooke's laundry list of injuring players and you have a recipe for a decent suspension. Will that happen? Who knows with that bunch of clowns running things. I don't see how any team can employ that ass hat and feel good about their organization.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Wow I just saw it. Disgusting. There are some knee-on-knee hits that happen so fast that the player delivering the hit is just trying to stop the opponent by making some sort of contact. This was not one of those hits. This might by the most blatant knee I have ever seen. It looked like a telegraphed WWE move. You know, like when the Macho Man would tap his elbow before dropping it. Cooke was leading with that knee for quite some time.

Throw the book at this piece of trash and be done with him. He's a disgusting individual and an embarrassment to the league. The GMs need to collude and blacklist this jackass.

mHlnGXt9Xlnn1Qes3Vtn

Dec 9, 2011
How much more destruction can this guy sow before the league says enough?

The really infuriating thing is that if the league gave him a heavy punishment, the NHLPA would rush to his side.

NHLPA: Protecting the players by defending the predators who kill our players...wait

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad