Beersbie
Just this season

Pens score 2 goals in 3 mins
Preds score 2 goals in 1.5 mins
Jets 2 goals in 3 mins
Bruins 2 goals in 30 seconds. 3 within a span of 5 mins
Devils 2 goals in 1 min

5 times in 8 games

What does that prove? That our team defense is/was brutal.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Team didn't show up at all against Devils and Bruins in first 2 games. Talbot was solid in the Jets game and we scored ZERO goals against the Preds.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Just this season

Pens score 2 goals in 3 mins
Preds score 2 goals in 1.5 mins
Jets 2 goals in 3 mins
Bruins 2 goals in 30 seconds. 3 within a span of 5 mins
Devils 2 goals in 1 min

5 times in 8 games

There's a lot of information missing here.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Last year
Knights 2 goals in 2 mins
Flames 2 goals in 4 mins
Jackets 2 goals in 1 min, 3 goals in 4 mins
Ducks 2 goals in 3 mins
Coyotes 2 goals in 3 mins
Rangers 2 goals in 1 min
Preds 2 goals in 3 mins
Sharks 2 goals in 1 min 4 in 10 mins
Ducks 2 goals in 30 seconds
Avs 2 goals in 1 min
Florida 2 goals in 5 mins
Sharks 2 goals 6 mins
Avs 2 goals in 4 mins

That’s since Feb 1st of last year those are consecutive goals without the Oilers scoring in between.

33 games, 13 times.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Last year
Knights 2 goals in 2 mins
Flames 2 goals in 4 mins
Jackets 2 goals in 1 min, 3 goals in 4 mins
Ducks 2 goals in 3 mins
Coyotes 2 goals in 3 mins
Rangers 2 goals in 1 min
Preds 2 goals in 3 mins
Sharks 2 goals in 1 min 4 in 10 mins
Ducks 2 goals in 30 seconds
Avs 2 goals in 1 min
Florida 2 goals in 5 mins
Sharks 2 goals 6 mins
Avs 2 goals in 4 mins

That’s since Feb 1st of last year those are consecutive goals without the Oilers scoring in between.

33 games, 13 times.

No one is arguing that Talbot wasn't bad last year? Tirade much...

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Jan
Buffalo 2 goals in 4 mins then later in game 2 goals in 3 mins
Canuck 2 goals in 7 mins
Coyotes 2 goals in 1 min
Preds 2 goals 7 mins
Hawks 2 goals 1 min
Stars 2 goals 3 mins, 3 goals 6 mins
Kings 2 goals 1 min, 3 goals 3 mins

10 games, 7 times

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No one is arguing that Talbot wasn't bad last year? Tirade much...

I want to know how this compares to other goalies on other bad teams. Seems to me a bad team is going to allow more back-to-back goals because bad teams tend to allow more goals period.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
That's fine for you to have that opinion. It certainly works for some goalies. Down early generally means exposed top corners and down late means five-hole exposure. There is no right answer and it's an individual thing that you work on with your goalie coach. Like any other tactical decision a goalie makes there are pros and cons that are individual. The point is to fit tactics to 1) player strength and 2) situation.

My point with Talbot are:
1) He's a great skater and a big man... which is a nice combination. The top corner exposure he would experience if he uses those two strengths will be far less than an equal-skating 5'9 guy. Thus the decision to be down more than most might well be deliberate AND correct given his strengths
2) You need to watch that goal again... I did, about 10 times yesterday when someone rightly pointed out the rebound was of Talbot's doing. (there are reasons why he did that that are beside the point... posted elsewhere)... but once you do watch it, I don't know how you can say that he saw that puck. There were literally 3 oilers in parts of that lane, plus a Penguin who vacated immediately as the shot was taken. No way he had a good look which is evidence of his reaction. A goalie lifting his glove in exasperation (which Talbot RARELY does) is a definite tell. Given limited sight, 10 out of 10 goalie coaches will tell you to get in the butterfly and stay big. So TACTICALLY he did exactly the right thing on that aspect of the play.

Fair points, when I get a few moments I'll definitley have a few more looks. I get the desperation wave as I've played the position...moreso rec/beer league as an adult because my parents couldn't afford to put me in hockey when I was younger but I've always loved playing the position.

Credit where credit is due for his game last night though. He looked in control and confident from the ceremonial puck drop on and made some good saves to keep the Oilers in front. Tough luck on the goal against, he doesn't have eyes on the back of his head and a defensive breakdown allowed that one.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Oh I thought You are refuting the 5 times in 8 games because bad teams do this often.

Do you watch the games or just look at the box score? Talbot has made big saves when we need them on several occasions. Also do you have an alternate goalie option in mind?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Do you watch the games or just look at the box score? Talbot has made big saves when we need them on several occasions. Also do you have an alternate goalie option in mind?

It’s one of Talbots biggest weakness is letting consecutive goals against in a short period of time.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Of course it does.

It proves my point though.
I think it just proves your bias..You took the time to cherry pick some numbers/games.

Now go back through all the teams for the last 50 years and you'll probably find the same thing throughout.

Random, baseless information imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad