Convince Me Talbot Is A Good Starter

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
3 fewer high danger scoring chances is a lot for one single game.

I agree Talbot played well, but the Oilers didn't a much better job keeping shots to the outside. there's a connection there IMO.
Ok let's meet there, dmen played the system really well last night, Talbot played better. Agreed

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
We know where he sits this year and last year, which was my question

When’s thelast time he stole a game for this team?

I dunno. Not sure why it matters. Bad goalies can steal games sometimes (remember Scrivens' 59 save goose egg?).

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
We know where he sits this year and last year, which was my question

When’s thelast time he stole a game for this team?

He essentially did against the Rangers.

But a goalie stealing games doesn't happen all that often unless you have a bad team with a superstar goaltender.

A borderline playoff team wins 40-45 games.

What amount of those wins would you expect to be the result of a goalie stealing the game?

I would say something reasonable is 5-6 games over the season. One for every ten starts. That's a little over ten percent of a team's wins.

If you are expecting a goalie to steal 10 games a year, you are talking 20% of a team's wins and that seems like too much to ask of one player unless he's a bonafide star and making 10 million per season.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
He essentially did against the Rangers.

But a goalie stealing games doesn't happen all that often unless you have a bad team with a superstar goaltender.

A borderline playoff team wins 40-45 games.

What amount of those wins would you expect to be the result of a goalie stealing the game?

I would say something reasonable is 5-6 games over the season. One for every ten starts. That's a little over ten percent of a team's wins.

If you are expecting a goalie to steal 10 games a year, you are talking 20% of a team's wins and that seems like too much to ask of one player unless he's a bonafide star and making 10 million per season.

Like Talbot 2 years ago.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
A good goalie steals about 10 games a year just on goaltending alone. Shut outs are a example.

When’s the last time Talbot actually stole this team a win?

I thought you said you would stop complaining if he "held it down" and "didn't give up another weak one".

Remember????

Well he has since. Talbot's problem is usually when one bad goal goes in you see another or even 2 more bad ones to follow. If he can hold it down, make a couple big stops and not give up another weak one then you won't hear me complaining even if we lose.

You have a funny way of eating humble pie.

Good day to you sir. Please don't darken my doorstep.

Also, learn to chip the puck in/and out you worthless dangling winger you... oh yes... I know who you are. ;)

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
What about game 5, let 3 goals in last couple mins.

Just make a save.

tenor.gif

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'm of the belief a goalie doesn't need to drop to his knees on every shot. If it's a high one, stand up...whether he saw the Oleksiak shot or not only he can answer that question but to me, there wasn't much traffic in front of him.

I get butterfly goaltending is the primary goaltender position and has been and will be for a very long time but there is still merit in standing up to make a save too. I do watch games from around the league and pay attention to other goalies. Talbot easily drops down sooner and more often than most of his counterparts around the league.

That's fine for you to have that opinion. It certainly works for some goalies. Down early generally means exposed top corners and down late means five-hole exposure. There is no right answer and it's an individual thing that you work on with your goalie coach. Like any other tactical decision a goalie makes there are pros and cons that are individual. The point is to fit tactics to 1) player strength and 2) situation.

My point with Talbot are:
1) He's a great skater and a big man... which is a nice combination. The top corner exposure he would experience if he uses those two strengths will be far less than an equal-skating 5'9 guy. Thus the decision to be down more than most might well be deliberate AND correct given his strengths
2) You need to watch that goal again... I did, about 10 times yesterday when someone rightly pointed out the rebound was of Talbot's doing. (there are reasons why he did that that are beside the point... posted elsewhere)... but once you do watch it, I don't know how you can say that he saw that puck. There were literally 3 oilers in parts of that lane, plus a Penguin who vacated immediately as the shot was taken. No way he had a good look which is evidence of his reaction. A goalie lifting his glove in exasperation (which Talbot RARELY does) is a definite tell. Given limited sight, 10 out of 10 goalie coaches will tell you to get in the butterfly and stay big. So TACTICALLY he did exactly the right thing on that aspect of the play.

Reactions: McFuhryous

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
What about game 5, let 3 goals in last couple mins.

Just make a save.

Lol....

Are you for real?

Just score a goal McD. Just chip the puck out Ebs. Just tie up a stick Nurse. Just take a timeout coach. Just, just, just...

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Lol....

Are you for real?

Just score a goal McD. Just chip the puck out Ebs. Just tie up a stick Nurse. Just take a timeout coach. Just, just, just...

Yup just save a shot

Talbots biggest weakness is letting one in, then letting another or 2 more in a short time after.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yup just save a shot

Talbots biggest weakness is letting one in, then letting another or 2 more in a short time after.

I think it is safe to say you know nothing about goaltending. No substance to offer here at all, just rant after rant. And this, the day after he played a great game and you'd promised to be quiet. Do we have ignore lists on this new site? Gonna go look...

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I think it is safe to say you know nothing about goaltending. No substance to offer here at all, just rant after rant. And this, the day after he played a great game and you'd promised to be quiet. Do we have ignore lists on this new site? Gonna go look...

I’m not wrong.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Like Talbot 2 years ago.
Yeah. He stole a tonne of games that year.

He finished what 4th or 5th in Vezina voting too?

I don't think its fair to expect Vezina quality goaltending yearly.

I'm hoping he provides solid but unspectacular goaltending this season and gets a reasonable 3-4 year contract and then plays like a Vezina goalie for the term of that contract. Haha

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Hmm Oilers have 4 losses and as I see it Talbot may be responsible for one of them. The OTL against Pittsburgh. I may be crazy but I think that's pretty good. I can't believe the Talbot hate.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Just this season

Pens score 2 goals in 3 mins
Preds score 2 goals in 1.5 mins
Jets 2 goals in 3 mins
Bruins 2 goals in 30 seconds. 3 within a span of 5 mins
Devils 2 goals in 1 min

5 times in 8 games

Ad

Upcoming events