Convince Me Talbot Is A Good Starter

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Of course it does.

It proves my point though.

It doesn't though.

Your claim is: "one of Talbots biggest weakness is letting consecutive goals against in a short period of time.". You've demonstrated that he gives up back to back goals on occasion, but without knowing how that compares to other goalies, it's completely meaningless.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
It doesn't though.

Your claim is: "one of Talbots biggest weakness is letting consecutive goals against in a short period of time.". You've demonstrated that he gives up back to back goals on occasion, but without knowing how that compares to other goalies, it's completely meaningless.

Prove it wrong then.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Ok come on now. I like Talbot. I think he's a legitimate NHL starter. But he's not even in the same stratosphere as Holtby, who is a top 3 goalie in this league.

Or does he happen to play for a better team? Chicken or egg?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Ok come on now. I like Talbot. I think he's a legitimate NHL starter. But he's not even in the same stratosphere as Holtby, who is a top 3 goalie in this league.
top 3 goalie who lets in a half slapper from a teenager and a wrister from a fringe AHLer.
Isnt this the logic we use around here?
Talbot is a legit starter who made huge saves vs WSH and PIT despite letting in bad'ish goals.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Or does he happen to play for a better team? Chicken or egg?

The Caps are my second favorite team I remember what the team looked like prior to 2011, first with Varlamov, and Neuvirth, and then with Vokoun and Neuvirth. And I remember how much better Holtby was when he stepped into the 2012 playoffs as a rookie and beat the defending cup champ Bruins in the first round. The Capitals were not always a good team. They were actually incredibly weak defensively until Brian McLellan replaced GMGM and signed Niskanen and Orpik in his first offseason. But even when the Caps sucked defensively, Holtby was still a great goaltender. He's also a big game goaltender. Has some of the best career playoff stats in NHL history while playing for a team that until last year was considered a playoff choker.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Last night despite losing I felt Holtby was the better goalie. Oilers grade A chances were far superior imo.
but just like how we ignore Talbot's good saves and focus just on goals allowed one can conclude Holtby belongs in the AHL.
Chaisson wrister, Bouchard half slapper, RNH shorty tsk tsk. Fire the guy to the moon!

There is no perfect goalie and everyone allows "stoppable" goals. Tablot is not THE issue on this team. He may be one of them but so is everyone else not named McDavid. Bouchard and Nurse made a few mistakes, Draisaitl makes a few every shift but Talbot is suppose to be perfect.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Holtby let in a weak wrister from just inside the blue line that basically sealed the game. If Talbot allowed that goal this place would’ve melted down.

If you need your goalie to constantly steal games, you’re not a good team. Talbot was excellent yesterday.

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Considering who we’ve played this is a good start.

Last year the team went on a run where they won 10 of 15 against mostly playoff teams and everyone was going off about how they had turned the corner. They then proceeded to lose 14 of their next 20 games.

So yeah, it's great they've come out of the gauntlet with points in the bank and their heads above water, but there's still more questions than answers with this team. it's possible to enjoy the wins while also acknowledging the team has some major flaws.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Hmm that chart differs from Hockey Reference, who has him -1.78 goals over the first 8 games total.

EDIT:

Talbot is still in the negatives, that other chart is from the 21st

Simpleheart

Sep 15, 2009
Hmm that chart differs from Hockey Reference, who has him -1.78 goals over the first 8 games total.

EDIT:

Talbot is still in the negatives, that other chart is from the 21st

can't r draw anything from this small a sample size other than who is starting the season hot or cold.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Holtby let in a weak wrister from just inside the blue line that basically sealed the game. If Talbot allowed that goal this place would’ve melted down.

If you need your goalie to constantly steal games, you’re not a good team. Talbot was excellent yesterday.

Yeah or the Nurse goal AHL side in OT against Winnipeg.

Good goalies don't save everything.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
but just like how we ignore Talbot's good saves and focus just on goals allowed one can conclude Holtby belongs in the AHL.
Chaisson wrister, Bouchard half slapper, RNH shorty tsk tsk. Fire the guy to the moon!

There is no perfect goalie and everyone allows "stoppable" goals. Tablot is not THE issue on this team. He may be one of them but so is everyone else not named McDavid. Bouchard and Nurse made a few mistakes, Draisaitl makes a few every shift but Talbot is suppose to be perfect.

Your missing the point. Talbot isnt playing at a level that would allow most teams to make the playoffs. So far anyway.

There is absolutely a correlation to team defense and good goaltending. But even seperating the bad team play I dont see how anyone can watch Talbot currently and think this guy is winning us games with his play.

Two years ago Talbot was stealing games for us. This year he is treading water at best.

Waaaaay better than last year and showing promise but needs to be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad