News Article: Contract talks for Senators’ Matt Duchene: update - Offer made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I could see Duchene extending in Nashville. He really likes country music and I usually make all my major life decisions based on the genre of music I enjoy.

If he extends, who are their top pieces? Fabbro? Tolvanen?

I'd imagine we probably would have to take back Bonino or a similar cap dump.

Imagine how much flannel the NHL players will wear in Seattle - flannel jersey night, guys carrying surfboards in the arena wearing flannel shirts with cardigans over them and boots without the laces done up - Don Cherry is going to lose his Godmanned mind. for sure Zach Smith is extending in Seattle so he can be closer to Pearl Jam.

Reactions: NyQuil

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I could see Duchene extending in Nashville. He really likes country music and I usually make all my major life decisions based on the genre of music I enjoy.

If he extends, who are their top pieces? Fabbro? Tolvanen?

I'd imagine we probably would have to take back Bonino or a similar cap dump.
I think Montreal is the most likely space for him to sign long term. They can pony up the dough without moving any of the core. They probably will compete with him in the lineup, and I feel like Duchene would embrace the absurdity that is Montreal.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If you have 4 mil in bonuses every year on an 8.5 mil per year deal , your looking at 90k in debt servicing (at 4%) per year. Total of 720k over the entire term of the contract. If you give 2 years at 8 mil in bonuses and need to borrow to cover them, you're looking at 175k per year, or 350k over the entire contraact (assuming zero bonus in other years). So, to save up to 370k (I suppose if we turn things around and season tickets do really well, or the Cdn Dollar gets to par, we might not need to borrow as much) you're risking up to 4 mil. The break even point would be offering 2 mil per year in bonuses; this would cost the same as 8 mil in just the potential lockout years. In the grand scheme, borrowing to give bonuses to the top tier talent on the team (say 2 or 3 of the best players) is a pretty small fraction of the total player costs.

Perhaps I'm overly pessimistic, I fully expect a lockout, and to miss at least 40% of a season; if I'm right about that, it's a less expensive option to pay them up to 50% of all years in bonuses than 8 mil in just the lockout years, assuming of course, they'd even be interested in that. Also possible that I'm overly optimistic that Duchene would accept a deal with a reasonable bonus structure, and could be convinced to take as little as 25% of his salary as bonus money.

Ideally, we don't offer bonus money, because I don't think we can really afford to pay huge sums of money without the revenue from gates and other sources that dry up during lock-outs, so to me, you minimize the exposure in the lockout years even if it means paying a couple hundred k extra.

Well, that's just it, isn't it? The agents won't have much pity because we are a small market team, and teams like Toronto have really hurt alot of the middle income teams with the absurd bonuses given to Tavares. Of course, why would they care about the rest of the league? In actuality, how many teams could do that type of deal? Maybe less than many think?

Anyways, this team loses 20M when playing, especially in a year like this year, which is probably closer to 25M. A lockout saves Melnyk a tonne of money, because he doesn't make any. If I'm the GM, I go hard on the potential lockout years because a good season for the Senators is still a money losing operation. Instead of losing 20M, it could be half that and locking up key pieces of your future.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
With Chabot’s emergence, we could already have one of the better d-corps in the NHL with Karlsson.

This franchise is just one missed opportunity after missed oppurtunity.

I was so excited to have one of either Karlsson or Chabot on the ice for almost the whole game.. no idea how the sens screwed this up.. I was picturing lord Stanley in our future.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Well, that's just it, isn't it? The agents won't have much pity because we are a small market team, and teams like Toronto have really hurt alot of the middle income teams with the absurd bonuses given to Tavares. Of course, why would they care about the rest of the league? In actuality, how many teams could do that type of deal? Maybe less than many think?

Anyways, this team loses 20M when playing, especially in a year like this year, which is probably closer to 25M. A lockout saves Melnyk a tonne of money, because he doesn't make any. If I'm the GM, I go hard on the potential lockout years because a good season for the Senators is still a money losing operation. Instead of losing 20M, it could be half that and locking up key pieces of your future.

What? I thought they lost money because of the absurd amount of loans. The loans don't go away if there's a lockout.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The loans are the money lost. But hey it's only 150 million. Why is so cheap?
Meh having a loan isnt the worst thing as an owner...To run the team with your credit card ,and never put any realised money from the team...Is something else all together

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Eklund hear that we have a done deal with Duchene. Cool
Sigh...that's a bit of a reach dude. Not really stating anything actually. Unless there's another Eklund post?

On Duchene

It is sounding more and more like the Sens and Duchene will get a deal done...This is vital for Ottawa, and could go a long way to convincing Stone to stick around.

Reactions: stempniaksen

richmh77

Jan 13, 2019
Not on his twitter or his website, where is this coming from?

Although to echo branch's sentiment, of all the "insiders" to break this, he's the last I woulda guessed.

At the very bottom of his latest story...
“It is sounding more and more like the Sens and Duchene will get a deal done...This is vital for Ottawa, and could go a long way to convincing Stone to stick around.”

Reactions: stempniaksen

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I mean, Eklund has been around long enough for people to know he's full of shit, hasn't he?

For a guy who "hears" so many things, he never gets any right, ever. Unless it has to do with Philly. Outside of Philly, he's no different than a random guy on the trade boards.

Reactions: Gesus

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What? I thought they lost money because of the absurd amount of loans. The loans don't go away if there's a lockout.
As Supsens pointed out in his post directly below yours...the "absurd" amount of loans reflects the amount of money cumulatively lost minus what was initially financed when the team was acquired.

A lOckout benefits ottawa...they still owe whatever they owe to finance the debt but they don't lose any more so it's kinda helpful

Reactions: coladin

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Eklund is living the dream, he is making money by making up hockey rumours for all of those, like us, who are dying to hear anything about their teams. There will never be a shortage of hits to his site, because when he is wrong, it was just a rumour. The odd time (1/1000+) he is right, he gets a ton of credit and coverage and receives more hits. Even though his track record is literal dog shit, people will still go because they want to read things about their team.

It's genius, absolute genius.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Eklund is living the dream, he is making money by making up hockey rumours for all of those, like us, who are dying to hear anything about their teams. There will never be a shortage of hits to his site, because when he is wrong, it was just a rumour. The odd time (1/1000+) he is right, he gets a ton of credit and coverage and receives more hits. Even though his track record is literal dog ****, people will still go because they want to read things about their team.

It's genius, absolute genius.
Let's start a competing site.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Let's start a competing site.
There are already quite a few competing twitter feeds out there.

Gotta give Eklund credit, being wrong 99% of the time but is still able to get as many hits as he does for as many years as he has is pretty impressive. Trevor Shackles, who covers the Sens on the site, also provides pretty decent coverage on the Sens..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad