News Article: Contract talks for Senators’ Matt Duchene: update - Offer made

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
With the NHL’s Feb. 25 trade deadline a little more than a month away, the trade market on
Matt Duchene should pick up soon.

The Ottawa Senators forward will be an unrestricted free agent at season’s end, and has 16 goals and 40 points in 37 games so far. Given that fact coupled with the reality that Ottawa is one of the Eastern Conference’s basement dwellers, he should have his fair share of suitors
Especially now that it doesn’t appear a contract extension with Ottawa is in the cards.
“It’s quite interesting that the talks between the Ottawa Senators and Matt Duchene – their pending unrestricted free agent – have appeared to have cooled off,” Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston said on the Headlines segment of Hockey Night in Canada Saturday. “There doesn’t appear to have been anything of substance here in recent times and no talks immediately scheduled in the weeks ahead.
“Pierre Dorion, the general manager, doesn’t want to place any sort of deadline on when he needs an answer on Matt Duchene’s intentions – whether will he sign an extension – but clearly, as this slides along here, we are looking at him as a potential target in that trade deadline period and someone that the Senators are going to have to make a decision on because I don’t get the sense from Duchene’s side that there’s any rush for them to make that kind of decision.”

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Just wait for how Dorion tries to explain this ‘development’ after getting fans hopes up earlier this year with the (BS to those payin attention) news that talks were progressing nicely. Selling hope of signing Stone and Duchene when in reality both never wanted to extend here long time. This is going to be a PR disaster

This organization is the worst run in the NHL.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Iirc, wasn't Duchene waiting to see what would happen with Stone before committing to the Sens long-term (or was that fan speculation)?

We're not exactly leaving much room to get any contracts done before the trade deadline.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
So Dorion is weeks away from beginning negotiations with Stone and Now we find out Duchene is not in talks either

What is Dorion doing with his time?

He's making a lot of social media accounts to ensure the blame falls on the player and how they never were a real team player. Lucky for him there are plenty of fans willing to eat it up and ask for seconds.

Reactions: West Coast Eagles

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Duchene and Stone are gone. The team simply can't afford to pay them. We've had A YEAR AND A HALF to negotiate these deals. It ain't happening. The sooner people come to grips with this the better off they'll be.

Stone was gone when they signed him to that 1 year deal in the summer. Any other team gives him the moon, and the C, and builds around him.

Same with Duchene(albeit with an A). They can't logically afford not to re-sign him after giving up so many pieces but since the team is going nowhere, it appears Matt will just go to UFA or get traded for peanuts as is tradition in Ottawa under Dorion and Melnyk's tenure.

We're going to be the Florida Panthers of Canada for years.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Stone was gone when they signed him to that 1 year deal in the summer. Any other team gives him the moon, and the C, and builds around him.

Same with Duchene(albeit with an A). They can't logically afford not to re-sign him after giving up so many pieces but since the team is going nowhere, it appears Matt will just go to UFA or get traded for peanuts as is tradition in Ottawa under Dorion and Melnyk's tenure.

We're going to be the Florida Panthers of Canada for years.
Yep ,get your tickets now!!!!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Iirc, wasn't Duchene waiting to see what would happen with Stone before committing to the Sens long-term (or was that fan speculation)?

We're not exactly leaving much room to get any contracts done before the trade deadline.
Fan speculation, pretty sure Duchene couldn't care less whether Stone signs or not, he's made it abundantly clear, literally since the day he got here, that he wants no part of a rebuild.

Another great decision by management, great foresight. I can't imagine they didn't forsee him not wanting to resign when they are telling everyone who would listen that they are rebuilding, just questionably management time after time.

Last edited:

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Incompetent GM is incompetent. What a surprise. The real outrage will come when we see the return.

I mean the Duchene deal would have been acceptable if we just didn't turn around a month later and decide to rebuild. The lack of foresight is by far the biggest problem with all of this and that falls squarely on Dorion's not very braud shoulders (and probably Melnyk too).

Reactions: lancepitlick

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
All I hear from the analysts is that because of the return Ottawa got for Karlsson and Hoffman Dorion will be looking for high end pieces for Duchene, even a 1st rounder. When I heard this I laughed pretty hard because Dorion has only showed he always overpays for players and gets screwed in his returns. To think any team is going to give up a 1st + for a UFA is simply moronic.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well, according to the numbers i posted yesterday in another thread, Duchene is 11th in C scoring since January 1 2018. So we should get a good return lol

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
All I hear from the analysts is that because of the return Ottawa got for Karlsson and Hoffman Dorion will be looking for high end pieces for Duchene, even a 1st rounder. When I heard this I laughed pretty hard because Dorion has only showed he always overpays for players and gets screwed in his returns. To think any team is going to give up a 1st + for a UFA is simply moronic.

Hopefully that stupid philosophy of "we're only trading with the West" is over. Limiting the amount of suitors only contributes to these garbage offers. Who cares where Duchene goes, he'll be on the downside of his career by the time the Sens have a chance of being decent again anyways.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Hopefully that stupid philosophy of "we're only trading with the West" is over. Limiting the amount of suitors only contributes to these garbage offers. Who cares where Duchene goes, he'll be on the downside of his career by the time the Sens have a chance of being decent again anyways.
You give us too much credit...lol

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

LOL. They gave up Turris and a possible 1st overall pick for, in the end, maybe a late first rounder!

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
He's making a lot of social media accounts to ensure the blame falls on the player and how they never were a real team player. Lucky for him there are plenty of fans willing to eat it up and ask for seconds.

Do you watch a lot of conspiracy theory videos online?

I am pretty sure if Duchene leaves it will be solely on money and “rebuild”. No way they play the smear campaign

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
Well, according to the numbers i posted yesterday in another thread, Duchene is 11th in C scoring since January 1 2018. So we should get a good return lol
Lol hes not locked in...teams can wait till the off season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad