News Article: Contract talks for Senators’ Matt Duchene: update - Offer made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
What does two of the highest earning teams being upset about losing lots of money have to do with how much Ottawa makes playing NHL games vs not playing them? I'm sure they're upset about all the lost profits, that doesn't mean that teams like Ottawa don't stand to lose financially as well.

The assumption that teams that lose money year over year lose less money by not playing games is flawed imo and really shouldn't be the assumed truth. We know they have a great deal of fixed costs that don't go away during a lockout. Then there are the depressed sales that typically follow lockouts. I suspect everyone would prefer to avoid a lockout, but owners are looking for long term victories that will allow them to recoup short term loses.

Not to mention that much of the financial benefit of owning an NHL team is that the franchise value goes up every year. Don't see that happening when there are, what seems like, perpetual work stoppages.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Not to mention that much of the financial benefit of owning an NHL team is that the franchise value goes up every year. Don't see that happening when there are, what seems like, perpetual work stoppages.

The last couple of lockouts haven't stopped the league from making record profits the last few years. You'd think they would matter, but apparently not.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Let's play this out; if he's losing 20 mil with 65 in player salaries, that means, by not paying the salaries, he'd be up to +45 mil. Now take away 85 mil minimum in revenues from TV deals and gates lost by not playing, and potentially a lot more when accounting for merchandise, concessions, parking, and as advertisers drop out, and what do you have? By far, his biggest variable expense is player salaries, I'm not sure there's enough additional variable costs to make up the difference here.

Going by the docs release when the coyotes went bankrupt, the Coyotes were spending 53 mil in hockey operations of the big club in 2009, of which 39 was salary. So thats 14 mil, adjusted for inflation is what, 17 mil? Melnyk said we run a skeleton crew already, but even if you bump us up to 25, how much of that can you cut back?

All I'm saying is it's far from safe to say anything your proposing imo. Your taking some pretty big leaps.

...but with all those revenues, as you stated , i.e. concessions, parking blah blah blah, he is still losing 20M. Before his debt payments. Logically, if he were not to operate, he would be ahead 20M. Now, who knows how the TV deal factors into this. But the point remains that Melnyk is better off not playing in comparison to Toronto

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
...but with all those revenues, as you stated , i.e. concessions, parking blah blah blah, he is still losing 20M. Before his debt payments. Logically, if he were not to operate, he would be ahead 20M. Now, who knows how the TV deal factors into this. But the point remains that Melnyk is better off not playing in comparison to Toronto
Just sell the damn thing then.

If Melnyk cries so much over his losses that hes going to die from dehydration just sell or man up and make your f..... franchise respectable

Worst team in the league 2 years in a row is laughable

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
Just sell the damn thing then.

If Melnyk cries so much over his losses that hes going to die from dehydration just sell or man up and make your f..... franchise respectable

Worst team in the league 2 years in a row is laughable

The laughable part isn't being worse two years in a row, that happens to teams, it's that we don't have our 1st round pick, but that's more sad, then laugh.

Reactions: Alex1234

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Though its clear you don't follow your own advice so theres that...

At least with the loan rumour there was speculation from various outside sources. Here we have uou and Coladin throwing out claims with no support and expecting everyone to just accept it as fact.

Seriously you seem to have an issue here...i clearly said you'd need to see the books

i struck a chord with you with my comments... the answer doesn't lie in picking fights with me

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yup. announce a rebuild without the necessary assets to do so. They really think we're stupid.
The rebuild will take years. Sure, I would love to have that pick, but 2020 will be a huge draft for the team.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The rebuild will take years. Sure, I would love to have that pick, but 2020 will be a huge draft for the team.
If they truly are committed to staying the course and being terrible for years and stockpiling assets well beyond just this year, its possible, but they've concerned me with some of their comments that they think already have the foundation and I'm not seeing it. We have Chabot, our next 3 best players are ufa, and then a bunch of secondary pieces... we need so much more to not just head in to another era of mediocrity.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If they truly are committed to staying the course and being terrible for years and stockpiling assets well beyond just this year, its possible, but they've concerned me with some of their comments that they think already have the foundation and I'm not seeing it. We have Chabot, our next 3 best players are ufa, and then a bunch of secondary pieces... we need so much more to not just head in to another era of mediocrity.

Left out a number of current players at the NHL & AHL levels who could also play a factor in their future beyond 2020.

Tkachuk - Brown - Batherson
Norris - White - 2019 or 2020 1st rd pick
Balcers - Chlapik - Loheit
Formenton - Paul - Nurmi

Chabot - JBD
Lajoie - Wolanin
Harpur - Jaros

Gustavsson - Daccord

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Left out a number of current players at the NHL & AHL levels who could also play a factor in their future beyond 2020.

Formenton - Paul - Nurmi

Chabot - JBD
Lajoie - Wolanin
Harpur - Jaros

Gustavsson - Daccord
Lacking elite talent outside of Chabot.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Logically, he still has fixed costs that don't disappear because he stops hockey ops. Logically, the fact that a lockout hurts Toronto more than Ottawa doesn't negate that it still hurts Ottawa.

You've provided nothing to support your claim that the team would lose less during a lockout than by playing a season, heck, even your 20 mil loss has nothing provided to back it up, it just sort of appeared out of thin air. There is nothing logical about what you've claimed, you haven't used deductive reasoning by examining all the known and assumed facts, you've tossed aside the vast majority of the known and widely assumed to be know, and latched onto a single number with no known source.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Obviously, the picture will become much clearer after the trade deadline. I like the pieces that are here right now, as they are still developing. I am not ready yet to declare anyone a secondary piece.

I was ready to label White a bust so it takes some time and patience

Reactions: Gesus

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Logically, he still has fixed costs that don't disappear because he stops hockey ops. Logically, the fact that a lockout hurts Toronto more than Ottawa doesn't negate that it still hurts Ottawa.

You've provided nothing to support your claim that the team would lose less during a lockout than by playing a season, heck, even your 20 mil loss has nothing provided to back it up, it just sort of appeared out of thin air. There is nothing logical about what you've claimed, you haven't used deductive reasoning by examining all the known and assumed facts, you've tossed aside the vast majority of the known and widely assumed to be know, and latched onto a single number with no known source.

Ok. Just an opinion and train of thought. Sorry it offended you so

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't agree

Until we are able to retain top talent, it is hard to be optmisitic. We did retain Ryan but that hasn't worked out all that great (to be fair, that isn't on Melnyk).

Yeah White and Chabot are outstanding but what's the point if we have to let them go when they are allowed to not be underpaid?

Last edited:

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011

Formenton - Paul - Nurmi

Chabot - JBD
Lajoie - Wolanin
Harpur - Jaros

Gustavsson - Daccord
He has 18pts in 33 games in the BCHL this year lol

Reactions: Sensators
Status
Not open for further replies.