News Article: Contract talks for Senators’ Matt Duchene: update - Offer made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Duchene for Noah Dobson straight up. If Duchene doesn't sign, Senators send a pick.

The Isles get a replacement for Tavares, and someone to help with their playoff push. Their league leading D loses no one from their roster.

Ottawa gets another high end D piece who they liked at last year's draft...who is also right handed.

It's a win-win.
Isle have to put the first round to it

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would think it sure as heck beats paying up to half in bonus per year, or whatever bonus money they are looking for.

Even over those two potential lockout years, to have it heavily bonus laden is just the cost of doing business. As crappy and unfair as it seems.

If you have 4 mil in bonuses every year on an 8.5 mil per year deal , your looking at 90k in debt servicing (at 4%) per year. Total of 720k over the entire term of the contract. If you give 2 years at 8 mil in bonuses and need to borrow to cover them, you're looking at 175k per year, or 350k over the entire contraact (assuming zero bonus in other years). So, to save up to 370k (I suppose if we turn things around and season tickets do really well, or the Cdn Dollar gets to par, we might not need to borrow as much) you're risking up to 4 mil. The break even point would be offering 2 mil per year in bonuses; this would cost the same as 8 mil in just the potential lockout years. In the grand scheme, borrowing to give bonuses to the top tier talent on the team (say 2 or 3 of the best players) is a pretty small fraction of the total player costs.

Perhaps I'm overly pessimistic, I fully expect a lockout, and to miss at least 40% of a season; if I'm right about that, it's a less expensive option to pay them up to 50% of all years in bonuses than 8 mil in just the lockout years, assuming of course, they'd even be interested in that. Also possible that I'm overly optimistic that Duchene would accept a deal with a reasonable bonus structure, and could be convinced to take as little as 25% of his salary as bonus money.

Right.

At the end of the day if the team offers each a year in bonus then they are at risk of losing 16-20 mil are they not? Regardless of where the money comes from, loan, arena rev, etc....at some point you had to hand over 16 mil with no rev coming in to cover the cost. Maybe it's covered off in other years...but it's still revenue that could have been spent elsewhere.

Ideally, we don't offer bonus money, because I don't think we can really afford to pay huge sums of money without the revenue from gates and other sources that dry up during lock-outs, so to me, you minimize the exposure in the lockout years even if it means paying a couple hundred k extra.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Kypreos is full of ****. There's no damn way that 8 Mil is the first offer and that it stops at 8.25, there is no logic to having .25m buffer with a first line centre.

I'm not doubting you meeting him or that's what he said, I just don't think he knows very much.

I also don't believe we're trading with the Sharks again on a key player this soon.

I also believe Kypreos cannot contain himself when it comes to anything negative about ottawa

Reactions: robsenz and gab6511

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Ideally, we don't offer bonus money, because I don't think we can really afford to pay huge sums of money without the revenue from gates and other sources that dry up during lock-outs, so to me, you minimize the exposure in the lockout years even if it means paying a couple hundred k extra.

Yeah. Feels bad.

We're pretty aligned. I agree that a lockout is likely. Sadly, when you look at the list of summer UFA's, pretty much all small markets in terms of elite player not over 35. I don't buy any general manager that says they can't sing their 1 or 2 elite players because of player budget. They would cut somewhere else. So if players aren't signing...you have to wonder what it is.

It could be that elite players don't want to play for team that are closer tot he floor than the ceiling...but it could also be that small market owners cannot offer bonus payment for lockout years, cannot offer full NMC in case they need to shed before a lockout year, cannot afford to overpay to make up for lack of the aforementioned...etc, etc

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Yeah. Feels bad.

We're pretty aligned. I agree that a lockout is likely. Sadly, when you look at the list of summer UFA's, pretty much all small markets in terms of elite player not over 35. I don't buy any general manager that says they can't sing their 1 or 2 elite players because of player budget. They would cut somewhere else. So if players aren't signing...you have to wonder what it is.

It could be that elite players don't want to play for team that are closer tot he floor than the ceiling...but it could also be that small market owners cannot offer bonus payment for lockout years, cannot offer full NMC in case they need to shed before a lockout year, cannot afford to overpay to make up for lack of the aforementioned...etc, etc
I imagine that the rich teams also provide better facilities, better trainers, better food, better team transportation, i.e. all sorts of things that don't fall under the salary cap.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I imagine that the rich teams also provide better facilities, better trainers, better food, better team transportation, i.e. all sorts of things that don't fall under the salary cap.

Oh yeah. And did anyone mention endorsements?

I have a feeling that any money Tavares left on the table with another team, he'll easily make up over his lifetime hocking fare in the GTA.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Duchene trade:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I can’t see Duch going to SJ or Nashville after they took Turris and EK

I’ll say Montreal puts the best package together.

ottawa: Ryan Poehling, Cale Fleury, 1st 2019, Jesse Ylonen
Habs: Duch

That seems really steep unless Duch comes with an extension.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That seems really steep unless Duch comes with an extension.

I’m assuming extension - steep but at the same time Montreal has been looking for a #1 center for about 20 years and adding Duch would be such a huge move - it would light up the fanbase and completely change the image of the GM who is seen as tentative and the fanbase beloved is scared to pay the price for a #1 C.

Also guarantee them a playoff spot this year and next not to Mention adding an excellent player who will
Light up the Bell Center with his play.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I could see Duchene extending in Nashville. He really likes country music and I usually make all my major life decisions based on the genre of music I enjoy.

If he extends, who are their top pieces? Fabbro? Tolvanen?

I'd imagine we probably would have to take back Bonino or a similar cap dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad