News Article: Contract talks for Senators’ Matt Duchene: update - no numbers [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBlackCoffee1984

Sep 1, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
Duchene is mentally fragile (see his country performances, a man in full control does not need to do this, he just walks around town all Smoove B and people know it) so I see him re-signing here. Stone is cock of the walk, doubt he wants to come back. We'll see.

Probably going to the game tonight, the snow thing is pure bull****, not a snowflake out there.

A couple hours away in Trenton, we're getting hit pretty good.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Kypreos (I know) now saying we're closer to signing Duchene than Stone.
They have been saying this for over a week now.

Probably more like Duchene said "No' to whatever was offered and Stone said "F**K NO", therefore interpreted as Duchene being closer to signing.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
I am in minority, but out of two i prefer Duchene going forward. Stone can show his "leadership" elsewere. Sad for Tkatchuk. No home meal for him for some time :)

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Fake news? O university classes are already cancelled for tonight and tomorrow.
Ottawa U has already sent out the email. Do some research before you spout off.

Due to a major winter storm expected to hit the Ottawa region today, the University has decided to cancel all classes for a period of 24 hours, starting at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, February 12. Classes will resume at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, February 13. The University will closely monitor the storm’s progress and let you know if the situation changes by noon tomorrow.
This cancellation covers all courses in all faculties at the undergraduate and graduate levels. CO-OP work terms, along with clinical and non-clinical placements, are not covered by this cancellation.
Please contact your faculty directly if you have any questions.
2019 February 12Univ. of Ottawa

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Stone is unquestionably better than Duchene and younger. I had thought he was much more likely to stick through the rebuild based on his past comments but it would appear not from the rumors...

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Ottawa U has already sent out the email. Do some research before you spout off.

Due to a major winter storm expected to hit the Ottawa region today, the University has decided to cancel all classes for a period of 24 hours, starting at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, February 12. Classes will resume at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, February 13. The University will closely monitor the storm’s progress and let you know if the situation changes by noon tomorrow.
This cancellation covers all courses in all faculties at the undergraduate and graduate levels. CO-OP work terms, along with clinical and non-clinical placements, are not covered by this cancellation.
Please contact your faculty directly if you have any questions.
2019 February 12Univ. of Ottawa
I think solidprospect meant O as in Ottawa University not 0 as in zero. He was refuting the poster who said there’s no snow.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I think solidprospect meant O as in Ottawa University not 0 as in zero. He was refuting the poster who said there’s no snow.

I'm gonna keep my post because I have never ever heard anyone refer to the University of Ottawa as "O University"

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I am conflicted about Stone vs Duchene. Do I want both? Hell yeah brother. Stone is better than Duchene on the whole and should get more money but Duchene has produced more this year and plays a more important position. Stone is younger by a year and he’s also less durable/more injury prone. It’s tough to say without knowing what their contracts will look like (from Ottawa or whoever). I’m not sure Stone is worth 2-3 million more than Duchene. I want both but would rather have only 1 than none.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's really coming down now in the west end, not sure I'll make my flight out tomorrow morning.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Stone is unquestionably better than Duchene and younger. I had thought he was much more likely to stick through the rebuild based on his past comments but it would appear not from the rumors...

I agree, but on an 8 year contract I’d take Duch based on his skating and NHL production alone.

Stones smarter - but in 4 years when he’s into his 30s I don’t think he’ll be a regular contributing top line forward - he’ll be more at a Bobby Ryan level which is here and there and not able to impact a game each shift like he does now.

So Duch for 8 years, Anthing less then 5 years Stone all day

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I agree, but on an 8 year contract I’d take Duch based on his skating and NHL production alone.

Stones smarter - but in 4 years when he’s into his 30s I don’t think he’ll be a regular contributing top line forward - he’ll be more at a Bobby Ryan level which is here and there and not able to impact a game each shift like he does now.

So Duch for 8 years, Anthing less then 5 years Stone all day
Skating deteriorates over time, starting around 28/29 years old.

Hockey I.Q doesn't, Stone will think just as quick when he is 34 as he does now.

Stone is doing what he does because he thinks the game 2 seconds quicker than all but like ~10 players in the NHL.

What 33-35 year old's can you name that use their skating as an asset, or that their deteriorated, former elite skating hasn't affected their game? They are few and far between.

The guys affected most by age are those that rely on their skating, as it's the most commonly affected skill by ageing.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

Hockey I.Q doesn't, Stone will think just as quick when he is 34 as he does now.

Stone is doing what he does because he thinks the game 2 seconds quicker than all but like ~10 players in the NHL.

What 33-35 year old's can you name that use their skating as an asset, or that their deteriorated, former elite skating hasn't affected their game? They are few and far between.

The guys affected most by age are those that rely on their skating, as it's the most commonly affected skill by ageing.
I agree with this, but to be fair Duchene is also very smart (not Stone smart) and regardless if you're a strong skater or smart or both, your game deteriorates anyway. Look at the top 50 scorers, there are very few guys in their 30s. There are not many 33-35 year olds who are top players anymore. These 8 year deals for 27+ year olds are way worse than 8 year deals for early 20 year olds. I would still sign both Stone and Duchene.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

If you can’t keep up no amount of smarts will help you - Scott Gomez showed us that. ‘Your hands and head don’t leave you, it’s your legs that go’

Stone is smart, but if to me he doesn’t look slow but he’s at his peak speed today - and from here on in he’ll only get slower as the league gets faster and age takes its toll on him.

I’m a huge fan, love his game, but 8 years to me is a contract I wouldn’t be jumping at to sign.

R2010

May 23, 2011

That's not entirely correct. How many 35+ year old plus players are effective without having been a good skater earlier in their career?

Strikes me that the ones who don't age well are the ones who rely on straight line speed - not necessarily the ones who have great edge work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad