News Article: Contract talks for Senators’ Matt Duchene: update - no numbers [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I agree with this, but to be fair Duchene is also very smart (not Stone smart) and regardless if you're a strong skater or smart or both, your game deteriorates anyway. Look at the top 50 scorers, there are very few guys in their 30s. There are not many 33-35 year olds who are top players anymore. These 8 year deals for 27+ year olds are way worse than 8 year deals for early 20 year olds. I would still sign both Stone and Duchene.

Sign them both? If we were a playoff team and had a chance at a Cup in 3-4 years and were solid in terms of prospects, Cap space and depth in the lineup I’d sign both and Dzingel.

But where we are now, the lack of a #1 pick this year, good prospects but nothing with a wow factor outside of Batherson, and the lack of top picks to get the elite talent you need to win these days - trade them both.

Things in Ottawa don’t improve with these 2 in the lineup next year. We will get worse for sure, but we won’t improve because our depth everywhere is terrible, so by the time we have the depthitll be 2022 and both of these guys are on the wrong side of 30 eating up close to $20 million in Cap.

We suck, we suck hard.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That's not entirely correct. How many 35+ year old plus players are effective without having been a good skater earlier in their career?

Strikes me that the ones who don't age well are the ones who rely on straight line speed - not necessarily the ones who have great edge work.
Well Stone will be 35 at the end of his contract, Duchene will be 36 at the end of his contract. I think the difference in skating, as both guys will be worse skater in a few years, will be made up by Stone's superior head.
Duchene will still be the better skater, but his decline in skating will affect his game more than Stone's decline in skating will affect his, as he relies much, MUCH, more on it than Stone does.

With regards to bad skating, high hockey I.Q guys, there have been many who thought the game better than everyone else who were successful into their 30's. Look no further than Ray Whitney, his best years were 35+ as a result of his head being better than 99+% of the league. .

Stone's hockey I.Q isn't normal, it is probably among the top 1% of the NHL over the past 2 decades. Guys like that usually stay productive until at least 35.

Duchene, while smart, isn't in the same league as Stone when it comes to hockey I.Q. If he had Stone's I.Q, he'd be the best player in the league, as his skating, hands, shot is all in the upper tiers of NHL players.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
duchane didn't want to stay for rebuiId in coIorado.. he's not going to want 2 here... reaIIy don't Iike the way he's misIeading the fans just to protect the Iook of him..

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
The optimist in me wants to say it sounds like good news, but they're just saying what we want to hear at this point.

I agree, what's funny is that it seems there is no player not able to do this on a daily basis without pissing a whole fan-base off. Yet our owner puts his foot in his mouth at least every 2nd chance he gets :help:

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
I agree, what's funny is that it seems there is no player not able to do this on a daily basis without pissing a whole fan-base off. Yet our owner puts his foot in his mouth at least every 2nd chance he gets :help:
I don't think any other owner in the league gets involved with the media as much as EM. If he had been quiet throughout his tenure, this mess probably doesn't happen. Money problems isn't the only reason things went to shit

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think people are missing something obvious here and something Mackenzie hinted out not to long ago on the radio. I think also the fact that we are heavily scouting teams like the Jets is furthur proof.

I think both sides know that they are going to trade Stone and Duchene but both Ottawa and Duchene and stone keep putting out info that negotiations are on going as to now drive down their value. By telling other teams that player x is not avaliable but scouting them leads me to believe the sens don't want to show their obvious hand.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Both sides are stating that they're trying to get an extension done is merely PR to placate the fan base. I'm sure Dorion has tried, but if that ship was going to sail, it would be out to sea by now. Everyone is just trying to say the right things at this point. But they're all getting dealt.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
wasn't he offered 8 years 8 m/per?

That's the reported initial offer yes. Kypreos said it was around 8 years 64 million. "Around".

Do we know what the bonus structure is? NMC's? No we don't.

Echoes of EK65. He was tabled an offer. We didn't get the finer details of said offer.

Also remember in Karlsson's case it was reported his deal didn't have NMC's and he just assumed he would be traded if he signed it.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
That's the reported initial offer yes. Kypreos said it was around 8 years 64 million. "Around".

Echoes of EK65. He was tabled an offer. We didn't get the finer details of said offer.

Also remember in Karlsson's case it was reported his deal didn't have NMC's and he just assumed he would be traded if he signed it.

You can't blame Karlsson for assuming he would be traded, he would have needed trust...and that's something you need to earn. EM never even tried to earn trust...

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011

What sucks about being a “small market” team is that when big teams are throwing out massive signing bonuses for star players now, and Ottawa can’t compete.

For example, TO owes $51 million in signing bonuses on July 1st. Ottawa traded a 2nd rounder to weasel out of paying Brassards $2mil signing bonus

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
What sucks about being a “small market” team is that when big teams are throwing out massive signing bonuses for star players now, and Ottawa can’t compete.

For example, TO owes $51 million in signing bonuses on July 1st. Ottawa traded a 2nd rounder to weasel out of paying Brassards $2mil signing bonus

That's right, but what sucks even more is when other small market teams have a good shot at going very deep without crying poor all time...one example would be the jets.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I think people are missing something obvious here and something Mackenzie hinted out not to long ago on the radio. I think also the fact that we are heavily scouting teams like the Jets is furthur proof.

I think both sides know that they are going to trade Stone and Duchene but both Ottawa and Duchene and stone keep putting out info that negotiations are on going as to now drive down their value. By telling other teams that player x is not avaliable but scouting them leads me to believe the sens don't want to show their obvious hand.
Did you mean"not drive down their value"?

Reactions: HSF

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

NMCs are such a tough bargaining point though. Like, you give a guy a NMC and then he demands a trade and gets to hand pick his destination. Happened with that piece of shit Heatley. Spezza nixed certain destinations that would have netted us better returns.

It's a trust thing both ways and it seems like neither side ever seems to live up to their end.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
duchane didn't want to stay for rebuiId in coIorado.. he's not going to want 2 here... reaIIy don't Iike the way he's misIeading the fans just to protect the Iook of him..

Meh. Sometimes, you just have to hold back a bit and be cordial, for everyones sake. IE: "Does this dress make me look fat?"

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

All contracts and personnel moves must be ran past "The Matt" so don't panic everything will be ok if we sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->