Contender or Pretender? Deadline Wishlist

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Guys a trade for a top 6 forward is imminent. Bergervin is working around the clock. Like last year, he wants to reward the fans, we are currently first this year. Last year we almost went to the finals. Vanek was suppose to give us the edge but he didn't. I think we have a better team this year. Likely MB will wait until the deadline when things are cheaper. MB won't give up a first round for a UFA. Likely if he trades a first round its going to be for a player around 23-27 with multi years left on his contract to grow with Pacioretty, Subban, Price, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller.

Actually waiting for the deadline would work in the reverse, teams are competing for players that are available and that inevitably costs teams more. Trading for a player earlier in the season usually costs a team less, Bergevin doesn't show his hand when making a trade, therefore other teams aren't aware and can't compete with any offers he makes. As you say though if he trades a 1st round pick, he will be looking for a return that will be retained not a rental player. Bergevin's trade for Vanek ensured the Habs playoff goals were reached, gave our players valuable playoff experience that can't be taught, great for developing a winning atmosphere & competitive spirit for the franchise. The team's already surpassed their 49 points in 42 games(Halfway point total last season) with 54 points in 39 games, with 3 games in hand and a 5 point improvement. So yes the Habs are a better team this year and no apparent deficiencies will be forcing the Habs into moving high draft picks(Like the Vanek deal), barring a collapse or injuries to key personnel. Bergevin is known to work at improving the Habs at every possible opportunity, but only when they see a chance to improve the team and it's depth of quality personnel, whether players or in hockey operations. The upcoming Tampa game tonight will see a much better effort than the first one this year, Tampa was rested while the Habs were playing their 4th game on the road, winning the first three and playing their 2nd game in two nights. Stamkos's hattrick, Hedman's 4pt. night and the 7-1 final in that game is still in the Habs minds going into this game, I'm sure. Look for the Habs to be on their game tonight, Carey Price will continue displaying his hot hand as the Habs have their Eyes on the Prize!:handclap::handclap::handclap:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Bring in: Franson, O'Reilly, Talbot

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Sekac
(Parenteau-upgrade needed)-Plekanec-Gallagher
Andrigetto-O'Reilly-Talbot
Prust-Malhotra-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Franson
Tinordi-Gilbert/Gonchar

Price
Tokarski

Last edited:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Parenteau-Plekanec-Gallagher
Prust-Malhotra-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Franson
Tinordi-Gilbert

Price
Tokarski

So who are you trading are trading? Eller, Sekac and Gonchar

TO are in the middle of a playoff race I doutb they trade Franson to Mtl unless they over pay...

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

Parenteau-Plekanec-Gallagher
Prust-Malhotra-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Franson
Tinordi-Gilbert

Price
Tokarski
Huh? Gonchar has exceeded expectations by a long shot, there's no need to get rid of him before his contract expires.

and your Colorado is basically Desharnais and Eller for O'Reilly and Talbot, not sure they accept that.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
So who are you trading are trading? Eller, Sekac and Gonchar

TO are in the middle of a playoff race I doutb they trade Franson to Mtl unless they over pay...

I would trade Eller, Emelin, Desharnais and picks to get this done.

I would not trade Sekac. Franson will be expensive, but worth it.

Eller has no hockey sense, O'Reilly would be a huge upgrade.

Nobody wants Gonchar. He and Gilbert could switch off on the third pairing.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Huh? Gonchar has exceeded expectations by a long shot, there's no need to get rid of him before his contract expires.

and your Colorado is basically Desharnais and Eller for O'Reilly and Talbot, not sure they accept that.

I fixed it. Gonchar is back in there. There will be injuries on D anyway.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

Have to throw in a second rounder (or maybe two second rounders) I think. The Avs need offense and their style might suit Desharnais. You are probably right tho.

I'm not a Parenteau fan either - so upgrade needed there as well. A big, rugged winger preferably.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

(Parenteau-upgrade needed)-Plekanec-Gallagher
Prust-Malhotra-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Franson
Tinordi-Gilbert/Gonchar

Price
Tokarski

Who do you trade for those players?

Also, why the heck would you put Beaulieu with Subban. Both guys need a "safer" player with them, plus Subban usually plays against top lines.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I don't know if Bergevin should trade at the deadline, sometimes it's a deathwish instead of a wish list to trade youth away for a band aid. Last year was great, but can we realistically get a player like Vanek for a 2nd and a failed prospect ?

Clippy

Sep 22, 2011
I dreamed last night that Ilya Kovalchuk somehow signed a playoff contract with us. It was a good dream.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Who do you trade for those players?

Also, why the heck would you put Beaulieu with Subban. Both guys need a "safer" player with them, plus Subban usually plays against top lines.

Just because.

We need to make trades. The Kings had high picks (Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, etc.) and made five big trades to bring in key players (Williams, Stoll/Greene, Gaborik, Richards, Carter, Regehr, ...).

Without trades, we cannot get to the next level because our system is loaded with small potential third liners and not much else. Tinordi might be that top 4 shutdown guy, but maybe not.

And if we are going to be a counter-attack team, we need scorers. And the UFA market is done (Boychuk would never sign here). It's a Catch-22.

Maybe we need to get bigger and meaner, and then morph into a scoring team (after we win a Cup playing boring hockey).

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Just because.

We need to make trades. The Kings had high picks (Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, etc.) and made five big trades to bring in key players (Williams, Stoll/Greene, Gaborik, Richards, Carter, Regehr, ...).

Without trades, we cannot get to the next level because our system is loaded with small potential third liners and not much else. Tinordi might be that top 4 shutdown guy, but maybe not.

And if we are going to be a counter-attack team, we need scorers. And the UFA market is done (Boychuk would never sign here). It's a Catch-22.

Maybe we need to get bigger and meaner, and then morph into a scoring team (after we win a Cup playing boring hockey).

The Kings had a core that was ready to win BEFORE making those trades and Quick played out of his mind.

Not sure what "system" you're talking about, definitely not loaded with small 3rd liners...Scherbak McCarron Hudon Andrighetto Tinordi are not small nor 3rd liners.

The key to the "next level" is continued patience and development...shortcuts and trying to cheat the system leads to failure...

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
The Kings had a core that was ready to win BEFORE making those trades and Quick played out of his mind.

Not sure what "system" you're talking about, definitely not loaded with small 3rd liners...Scherbak McCarron Hudon Andrighetto Tinordi are not small nor 3rd liners.

The key to the "next level" is continued patience and development...shortcuts and trying to cheat the system leads to failure...

Being patient, to a point. I think our window is next year when the big teams all get in cap trouble (or, in the case of Anaheim will have gaping holes on their roster). If we get some of the kids you mentioned step up, we will be a legit contender.

But that means we need to win a few trades before then, or have some win-win trades.

Scherbak might be the only top 6 guy there, remains to be seen. Hudon and Andro are small. Tinordi might be a #4 one day... maybe. Or can Emelin improve to the point where he can play alongside PK??

Quick was very inconsistent before the Kings made those trades. It was still up for grabs with Bernier at that point.

Hard to compare two different systems, but we definitely need to become a harder team to play against, no matter what system.

Last edited:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The trade for Vanek was so-so. It helped through the PO 2nd round but not in the 3rd. It was a short-term rental, nothing more. I'd say Bergevin's best trade last season was for Weise.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The trade for Vanek was so-so. It helped through the PO 2nd round but not in the 3rd. It was a short-term rental, nothing more. I'd say Bergevin's best trade last season was for Weise.

MB best move was Weise (if he doesn't resign it's kind of even), but the Vanek move kind of made everyone stop for a minute and take notice that MTL was serious about winning and it will have a positive ripple effectand event like that change/help change perception for player across the league about the organisation and that fact that he didn't give much make it even better. Vanek might not have had any affect after the second round but that move might help down the line resign a RFA, sign a UFA , maybe we now make some of the short list with player with NMC or limited NTC.

Last edited:

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

The reason the Vanek trade was so good is because he bought bargain bin cheap.

Who knew that Vanek would flop hoard....

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Whoever they get it'll be the one you least suspect.

Welcome Crosby.

I can't see MB not landing Jagr though. He needs us, we need him...it's been speculated for so long. Get your butt over here, Jaromir.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Honestly I see something like Blake Wheeler to the Habs....

A move out of left field that no one expects...

Or one of the pieces on SJ...

Wheeler would be kinda a pipe dream. Require lots of assets.

He's probably the type of forward we need aside the obvious superstar winger.

He's good at gaining the zone, skates really well, could be a net presence on the PP.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
trading assets for Blake Wheeler would be a mistake, a winger at 6'5 and 225 pounds doesn't have a high career span. There is so many examples of 6'5 forward that had their career slow down from 30 years old and up. There's maybe 2 or 3 good years left with Wheeler and that's it, and like Bergevin said many times, you build a championship team through your organisation, not by looking for players in other teams.

We have to build before thinking of going after other players through trades or free agency. The Habs are still in the building process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad