Contender or Pretender? Deadline Wishlist

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
With a few tweaks we could be a Cinderella contender this season. Who can we add at the trading deadline that is affordable, realistic additions.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Tlusty-Plekanec-Parenteau
Sekec-Eller-Talbot
Prust-Malhotra-Weise
Andrigetto

Markov-Subban
Sekera-Gonchar
Beaulieu-Weaver
Gilbert

Price
Tokarski

*Andrej Sekera and Jiri Tlusty from Carolina for Alexei Emelin and David Desharnais
*Max Talbot from Colorado Avalanche for Greg Pateryn, 3rd and 5th round picks.

I like what I saw in Sekera and Tlusty tonight. Sekera always make first pass out of the zone and we need that kind of defense. I don't see Emelin doing that often. Tlusty has lots of speed and had played with Plekanec in the past. Talbot will stabilize our 3rd line with Sekec and Eller.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
We would need one Top-6 Winger (a shooter not a passer). And one D. Ideally a #4 but even a good #5 would be very helpful.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Emelin has NTC.

And it's Sekac, not Sekec. Sorry to sound like an ass but it's a pet peeves of mine but how can you still not know his name with almost half season done.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Jagr, please.

As for your idea, I like Talbot but I don't know if COL would take that. But with Sekera over Emelin for the playoffs? That's a soft D core.. I doubt they'd be able to handle the grind of it.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Emelin + DD for Sekera and Tlusty? god, that's awful for Carolina. Emelin is a 4 at best, and DD is irrelevant to just about any team in the league. Sekera is a #1 defensemen, and even as a rental would be treated as such. He'd require at minimum realistic a 1st + Beaulieu + probably one of MacCarron/Hudon/Scherbak/Andrighetto. Tlusty isn't just a throw in, he could go for a 2nd + prospect at the deadline. I'm all for sekera but at least propose realistic value.

kazmanian

Sep 30, 2014
With a few tweaks we could be a Cinderella contender this season. Who can we add at the trading deadline that is affordable, realistic additions.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Tlusty-Plekanec-Parenteau
Sekec-Eller-Talbot
Prust-Malhotra-Weise
Andrigetto

Markov-Subban
Sekera-Gonchar
Beaulieu-Weaver
Gilbert

Price
Tokarski

*Andrej Sekera and Jiri Tlusty from Carolina for Alexei Emelin and David Desharnais

I like what I saw in Sekera and Tlusty tonight. Sekera always make first pass out of the zone and we need that kind of defense. I don't see Emelin doing that often. Tlusty has lots of speed and had played with Plekanec in the past. Talbot will stabilize our 3rd line with Sekec and Eller.

Sekera and Tlusty are both UFAs at season end. I believe we giving too much. I wouldn't touch talbot. IMO only Sekera could be interesting in the players you named. For me, we have 3 "holes" in our top 9 for us to be at another level. And Tinordi needs to be in mtl not hamilton

Patches - Chucky - xxx
xxx-Pleky -xxx
Sekac - Eller - Gallagher
Prust-MM-Weise

We need a 1st line RW and I believe Gally will be way better on the third line rather than the 1st. I'm just not impressed with PAP and you ain't a contender by having DD on the wing on your second line. Let's not even talk our top notch defense... so are we contenders with our current line up, I would say no but you never know. MB needs to work some magic!

HabsFanFromOntario

May 7, 2011
Sekera and Tlusty are both UFAs at season end. I believe we giving too much. I wouldn't touch talbot. IMO only Sekera could be interesting in the players you named. For me, we have 3 "holes" in our top 9 for us to be at another level. And Tinordi needs to be in mtl not hamilton

Patches - Chucky - xxx
xxx-Pleky -xxx
Sekac - Eller - Gallagher
Prust-MM-Weise

We need a 1st line RW and I believe Gally will be way better on the third line rather than the 1st. I'm just not impressed with PAP and you ain't a contender by having DD on the wing on your second line. Let's not even talk our top notch defense... so are we contenders with our current line up, I would say no but you never know. MB needs to work some magic!

Way to scream homer.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Way to scream homer.

How?

We have seen outstanding players go for not much cause they were UFA at the end of the season.

I agree that Carolina wont be interested in DD if they decide to rebuild but they wont get a real top prospect + a 2nd for Tlusty only like someone wrote a couple of post above..

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Stafford for MIN 2nd rounder.

Original trade would work out to Gorges for Stafford.

Stafford is not overly physical but he is over six feet and over 200 pounds. He is solid defensively. He could play third line wing and add depth. He is a UFA at seasons end but I could see him signing back with the Habs.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
team desperately needs a top 6 winger..cupcakes like Desharnais and Parenteau won't cut it...also a top 4 Dman would be great as Emelin looks like he's in a career-long coma

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The OP wrote:

With a few tweaks we could be a Cinderella contender this season.

I don't think us being a "Cinderella" contender is an appropriate description. The team has an elite G and other solid tools on D and up front. They finished as losers in the conference final the previous year with their #1 G out with an injury.

It's not like they are coming out of nowhere as contenders if they make the finals. It's not needing just a few tweaks that could warrant calling us a cinderella team.

I agree, though, that we need some pieces to be a serious contender.

Who? I'm not sure what would be available without having to give equally necessary pieces of the puzzle away in return.

A top-6 RW and a top-3, physical D that can play defensively, log minutes and has a decent transition game at the same time.

Rentals would, obviously, perhaps only cost future players and/or picks, without touching the current NHL roster but, is the team deep enough in the minors and solid enough, overall, in the NHL to warrant trading away the future?

Not on the D side of things, IMHO. Who knows, we could be in that position as early as next year if D prospects like beaulieu, Tinordi or some other ones make a case to stick around full time.

It's not with ageing vets like Allen, Weaver, Gonchar and Markov that you can feel set at D for the medium term or the long term (some will even argue for the short term :) )

At least, with a few youngsters that are on the NHL roster and have looked like bluechip prospects, we could be more certain for the future, not just ONE shot at the Cup.

Up front, in the minors, can we avoid using Sherbak or McCaron as honey in a trade? BOTH, IMHO, would need to develop as they currently promise to develop in order to make it more palatable to trade high draft picks.

Might as well wait a year or two before we trade for too many rentals at the same time...

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Contender or not let's get PAP the **** outa here he's useless and would fetch a second rounder or two maybe.

Analyzer*

Sekera is worth more than either of those players.

Max Talbot sucks.

You should try again. Wait, please don't.

If Montreal is to make a trade, it better be a really good deal, or for a player who isn't a FA.

Habs should look to ship out extras like Weaver,Gonchar, Allen, Bournival and any prospects that's not in the future for late round picks if they can even get that.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Keith Yandle
David Perron
or Jagr

If we got a top six forward and a top 4 dman, we'd certainly be a contender.

But to get that we'd have to give up pieces of the future like Fucale (I have no problem giving up), Tinordi (do not want to give up), De La Rose (Not strongly against giving up), and a 1st (definitely don't want to give up).

If we can get Keith Yandle and simultaneously sign him long term, I'd be willing to give up some of the future.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
This team needs a real #2 d-man because nothing looking like it is coming up in the pipeline and Markov is getting older each day.

A true contender needs a strong top 4. Subban + top#2 + Markov + Beaulieu would make Habs a contender in the next 2-3 years. Then if Beaulieu developp to become more than a #3-4, it will still be time to trade the said d-man later.

I would be willing to give good prospects for such d-man, only if we sign mid-long term.

Then I would be all to add a veteran top 9 winger for the last strech.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Keith Yandle
David Perron
or Jagr

If we got a top six forward and a top 4 dman, we'd certainly be a contender.

But to get that we'd have to give up pieces of the future like Fucale (I have no problem giving up), Tinordi (do not want to give up), De La Rose (Not strongly against giving up), and a 1st (definitely don't want to give up).

If we can get Keith Yandle and simultaneously sign him long term, I'd be willing to give up some of the future.

I used to like Yandle a lot, but honnestly, he's been horrible defensively the last 2-3 years, even when Arizona was a .500+ team playing a good defensive game.

I would prefer to give more prospects to get someone like Faulk and sign him long term. That would make Habs a contender and set on D for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad