Contender or Pretender? Deadline Wishlist

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
trading assets for Blake Wheeler would be a mistake, a winger at 6'5 and 225 pounds doesn't have a high career span. There is so many examples of 6'5 forward that had their career slow down from 30 years old and up. There's maybe 2 or 3 good years left with Wheeler and that's it, and like Bergevin said many times, you build a championship team through your organisation, not by looking for players in other teams.

We have to build before thinking of going after other players through trades or free agency. The Habs are still in the building process.

he was talking about the core players. big franchise center, franchise goalie and franchise defenseman. Galchenyuk-Price-Subban fills that role. He will need to surround them when they're ready.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
he was talking about the core players. big franchise center, franchise goalie and franchise defenseman. Galchenyuk-Price-Subban fills that role. He will need to surround them when they're ready.

Key free agent signings will likely be the way he does this.

Though I am sure he is looking at upgrading the defense by the deadline.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Being patient, to a point. I think our window is next year when the big teams all get in cap trouble (or, in the case of Anaheim will have gaping holes on their roster). If we get some of the kids you mentioned step up, we will be a legit contender.

But that means we need to win a few trades before then, or have some win-win trades.

Scherbak might be the only top 6 guy there, remains to be seen. Hudon and Andro are small. Tinordi might be a #4 one day... maybe. Or can Emelin improve to the point where he can play alongside PK??

Quick was very inconsistent before the Kings made those trades. It was still up for grabs with Bernier at that point.

Hard to compare two different systems, but we definitely need to become a harder team to play against, no matter what system.

I think Bergevin is aiming for more of the Chicago style than the LA style. Less big grinders and more speed.

If the window opens next year then look at buying next deadline. The only core player that is older is Markov and he doesn't seem to be slowing down.

I think next year Tinordi will definitely graduate(no way they lose him on waivers). Then Scherbak and McCarron will play pro along with Gregoire. DLR will have a year and a half under his belt. I think once those guys have a half year AHL we will have a pretty good idea of where the franchise is in terms of contending. McCarron given his size and mobility will be an interesting study as he could play a lesser role at 20-21 in the NHL and grow into something bigger like Lucic and others did.

Galchenyuk, is he a legit #1 C by then?

MB might make a lateral trade(a hockey trade) or trade a pick/B prospect for a rental, I don't expect any top prospects moved or high picks.

The trade for Vanek was so-so. It helped through the PO 2nd round but not in the 3rd. It was a short-term rental, nothing more. I'd say Bergevin's best trade last season was for Weise.

Even though he flopped at playoff time it was a good trade for boosting the offense down the stretch and giving depth to the offense. He went 6-9-15 in 18 games and allowed Gallagher to go help Pleky plus allow Gionta to help kick start Eller's season. For the price it was a good deal...would have been a home run and he showed up more at playoff time(not just points but compete level).

The reason the Vanek trade was so good is because he bought bargain bin cheap.

Who knew that Vanek would flop hoard....

He flopped at playoff time, but was very good during the season. n68 point pace here.

Whoever they get it'll be the one you least suspect.

Welcome Crosby.

I can't see MB not landing Jagr though. He needs us, we need him...it's been speculated for so long. Get your butt over here, Jaromir.

As long as the price makes sense it could work...though he is slloowww and has struggled at playoff time. Plus he sort of burned a bridge with MB in the past.

Honestly I see something like Blake Wheeler to the Habs....

A move out of left field that no one expects...

Or one of the pieces on SJ...

Why would Winnipeg trade a core guy? Maybe if they have value on Emelin? Plus add a good but not great prospect? Emelin-Fucale?

trading assets for Blake Wheeler would be a mistake, a winger at 6'5 and 225 pounds doesn't have a high career span. There is so many examples of 6'5 forward that had their career slow down from 30 years old and up. There's maybe 2 or 3 good years left with Wheeler and that's it, and like Bergevin said many times, you build a championship team through your organisation, not by looking for players in other teams.

We have to build before thinking of going after other players through trades or free agency. The Habs are still in the building process.

Agreed, unless the price was too good to pass up(didn't touch the core).

Key free agent signings will likely be the way he does this.

Though I am sure he is looking at upgrading the defense by the deadline.

Might be hard, free agent crop is weak for 2015.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Whoever they get it'll be the one you least suspect.

Welcome Crosby.

I can't see MB not landing Jagr though. He needs us, we need him...it's been speculated for so long. Get your butt over here, Jaromir.

It's worth pausing for a moment to reflect that Jagr is being lusted after at 43. Amazing! But if Bergevin (and Gauthier before him) passed on him in previous seasons, I doubt management will move on him now. Too bad, because unless there's an unknown issue, Jagr looks like the perfect fit.

If Washington fades, I'd like to get Joel Ward. Strong winger with solid production.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not sure I agree that Jagr is a fit...his game is a bit too east-west for the way the Habs play IMO

But there's no doubt that on the right team, he'd be a great fit...just don't think that's in Montreal personally

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
We can get by with our D. We need one more Top-6 goal-scoring Forward. Not a pass-first guy, a shooter.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
I would rather use more assets to acquire a young, long term solution than another rental (unless were talking only about 3rd rounders and C level prospects).
A second rounder and a B prospect may not seem like much but we gave that last year as well. I two year we will have given three second rounders + a prospect (another 2nd rounder?). That adds up a lot.

I don't think the Habs are in a position to trade their grade A prospects (Beaulieu, Tinordi, Scherbak, McCarron)given that these all address organisational weaknesses, but I could see them willing to dangle their 2015 1st for a long term solution given that the last few 1st rounders are looking good so far. The best prospect I can see them trading is probably Fucale. Maybe De La Rose/Hudon but they seem like the kind of players MB likes.

In terms of tradable assets from the roster, I think we're looking at Emelin/Gilbert/Parenteau/Desharnais mainly. And then the UFAs to be as well (Gonchar/Malhotra/Weaver).

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
We can get by with our D. We need one more Top-6 goal-scoring Forward. Not a pass-first guy, a shooter.
I agree. We need offensive help. Ideally not just a floating shooter but someone who can create offense and sustain offensive pressure in the offensive zone. Would help our possession numbers to spend more time at the other end of the ice!

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I agree. We need offensive help. Ideally not just a floating shooter but someone who can create offense and sustain offensive pressure in the offensive zone. Would help our possession numbers to spend more time at the other end of the ice!

How about Iginla? Looks like the Avs will be a lottery team by season's end so maybe they'll look into shipping him.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I would rather use more assets to acquire a young, long term solution than another rental (unless were talking only about 3rd rounders and C level prospects).
A second rounder and a B prospect may not seem like much but we gave that last year as well. I two year we will have given three second rounders + a prospect (another 2nd rounder?). That adds up a lot.

I don't think the Habs are in a position to trade their grade A prospects (Beaulieu, Tinordi, Scherbak, McCarron)given that these all address organisational weaknesses, but I could see them willing to dangle their 2015 1st for a long term solution given that the last few 1st rounders are looking good so far. The best prospect I can see them trading is probably Fucale. Maybe De La Rose/Hudon but they seem like the kind of players MB likes.

In terms of tradable assets from the roster, I think we're looking at Emelin/Gilbert/Parenteau/Desharnais mainly. And then the UFAs to be as well (Gonchar/Malhotra/Weaver).

This team is too good for Bergevin to shake it up with a blockbuster trade for the sake of acquiring one player. And no combination prospects and secondary roster players will get us a star in return. So chances are the longer-term solution up front will be some combination of Scherbak, McCarron, Hudon, Reway, and de la Rose.

It's in the short-term where the Habs have a shot at a legit top-six forward. Yes, it's a rental, but as we've seen, these trades don't cripple the team or the budget. Plus it addresses the immediate need, which is the 2015 playoffs.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Maybe not possible this deadline, but in the summer, it will be crucial to acquire a #2 d-man. Green, Staal, Boychuk or Ehrhoff have to be signed for our cup window to open.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Green would be awesome, Ehrhoff would be solid as well and I see boychuck resigning with the Isles

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Iginla comes with a $5M contract for the next two years.

That's the problem with Iginla, as a rental or even signed for 1 more season I would, 2 more seasons it's just too much. Bergevin did so much to dump Moen and Bourque and now going after Iginla would put us in the same situation next season. Not worth the gamble.

If the Habs are serious about Vermette, that's the player I'd target. I'd like Bergevin to target a player or two that will stay on board for a couple of seasons. Younger players under contract or a player that they can convice to stay

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Maybe not possible this deadline, but in the summer, it will be crucial to acquire a #2 d-man. Green, Staal, Boychuk or Ehrhoff have to be signed for our cup window to open.

Green is too expensive. Ehrhoff would be good. Hate to admit it, but Boychuk would be the best on the list. And by then he'll have had one full season to disinfect that nasty Bruins bacteria.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Not crazy about Green

I'd love to sign Boychuk, that would be my choice.

Ehrhoff will stay in Pittsburgh IMO, reason they signed him 1 year was cause of the salary cap. Paul Martin comes off their books and I heard they will sign Ehrhoff long term

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Not crazy about Green

I'd love to sign Boychuk, that would be my choice.

Ehrhoff will stay in Pittsburgh IMO, reason they signed him 1 year was cause of the salary cap. Paul Martin comes off their books and I heard they will sign Ehrhoff long term

Not crazy about Green neither, but he fits somewhere nobody in our organization can... the #2 d-man role. IMHO he's still a very good top-4 d-man, and adding him without substracting anyone would probably put us in contender status, counting on the fact we also add a top-line forward. Maybe Scherbak can step up quicker than expected, I think that's crucial.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
HABS should not trade for any D!! Go with the guys at hand, let Beaulieu and possibly Tinordi get some playoff experience. We're not winning the cup this year so no sense mortgaging the future! Next year you let go Allen, Gonchar and Weaver, that's 11million off the cap and you go sign Boychuk from the Isles, now you're looking at a pretty good D

Markov- Subban
Beaulieu-Boychuk
Emelin- Tinordi
Gilbert

That to me will be a solid unit, fighters, hitters, passers and scorers, not to mention leaders!
Just an idea!

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
HABS should not trade for any D!! Go with the guys at hand, let Beaulieu and possibly Tinordi get some playoff experience. We're not winning the cup this year so no sense mortgaging the future! Next year you let go Allen, Gonchar and Weaver, that's 11million off the cap and you go sign Boychuk from the Isles, now you're looking at a pretty good D

Markov- Subban
Beaulieu-Boychuk
Emelin- Tinordi
Gilbert

That to me will be a solid unit, fighters, hitters, passers and scorers, not to mention leaders!
Just an idea!

You can't really say that, anything is possible come playoff time and it also helps that we have one of the best goalies in the world.

I'm not crazy about mortgaging the future either, it all depends which player the Habs would be targetting and I'd be ok giving up a piece or two but only if that player is signed going forward or if they have intentions of extending him.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
I wouldn't mind Iginla's term if the Avs take on of our contracts back too (Desharnais/Gilbert/Emelin). Ideally two of those haha

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Markov is better than Green and Ehrhoff, how would that make them the #2 d-man?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Markov is better than Green and Ehrhoff, how would that make them the #2 d-man?

At this point in his career, no, Markov isn't as complete and universally efficient as those two. Not as quick. Not even as physical. Besides, no matter who the best is between Markov and those two, anyone we add would clearly be an upgrade over anyone else under Markov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad