OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Some of it is probably the different types of audience watching. At my age seeing Hamill as thr Luke from post episode 6 was a fantastic moment. We never saw that. Jedi came out in what ‘81 or ‘82? I hadn’t seen Luke in 40 years? That’s a long time to wait for that moment. Remember it was leaked that Lucas had a 9 episode arc way back then. Given that I don’t keep up with Star Wars minutiae I was not expecting that and it had the maximum impact on me. But I’m old. I’m sure to a younger audience maybe pre-Darth Anakin or the cartoon characters mean much more. It was not perfect but just giving me some Jedi Luke after 40 years was a great moment and I’d thank Filoni and Favreau if I ever had the chance. Fan service isn’t always some sort of evil or lazy thing.
Don't get me wrong, I was giddy as a schoolboy when he showed up. His hallway scene was something I've wanted to see from Luke ever since ROTJ. The actual look is less important to me than whether or not the character feels genuine. I just think the technology still has that uncanny valley feeling, but that might be because I know they're doing it so I'm looking at it more closely than might normally.

I've also been that Leo DiCaprio GIF pointing at the screen at the fan service throughout all these series and have pretty much enjoyed all of those moments. But Star Wars is like pizza to me. Sometimes it's amazing. Sometimes not so much. But rarely do I ever bitch about eating it. Well, maybe except Rise of Skywalker, which was a complete pile of shit, but even that had some cool moments.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ok I’ll park this here instead of the TAN since it’s arguably something entertainment related. We recently had a few posts about the Beatles which ranged from they are overrated to they are immortal parts of pop culture. I wanted to add the below because it’s emblematic of them and part of what makes them special. Apparently this took place last year in Central Park to commemorate John’s birthday. They played I Saw Her Standing There and Something so I’m not sure how focused they were but it still makes the point. People of every stripe every age every color and status. Check out the Richenbacher Paul style bass that woman plays. All together all united all celebrating. John’s been dead longer than he’s been alive and he wasn’t really a star in some ways after 1975. Nonetheless this could still happen. I’m not sure any other group or music star would have this happen. As much as I love Rush and Neil Peart and as much as Rush fans are devoted I just can’t see this happening on this scale annually in a park in Toronto on Neil’s birthday. RIP John.

Last edited:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Welp I'm a dork who finished season 2 of Shoresy, albeit it's only 6 super short episodes, but it's done. I love that show, I also loved Letterkenny and realize it might not be for everyone but it's a fun watch.
Was literally coming here to ask if anyone watched season 2. Just noticed on Friday that it was available.

We’ll Never Lose Again!

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Was literally coming here to ask if anyone watched season 2. Just noticed on Friday that it was available.

We’ll Never Lose Again!
1698587423456.gif

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Several decades late but I just got done reading 'The Firm'. Great book but something tells me that Grisham's writing style will become very one-tone though and eventually get to me.

If anyone has any other legal thriller recommendations, that would be great.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Apparently they remade Catch-22 a few years back and it's on Hulu. A fun watch. Makes me think I'd like the original movie which starred Alan Arkin.
1699201878609.png

Also watched Cut Bank on Netflix - decent with some big names. Short and felt like a Coen Brothers movie - almost Fargo-esque
1699201825629.png

Reactions: My3Sons

denverdevil

Nov 13, 2007
Denver, CO
I started and finished Shoresy over the last few handful of days. I couldn’t get into Letterkenny but did enjoy Shoresy. I really enjoyed the off the wall characters. I thought a few of the running gags got a bit old after a couple of seasons, but overall really fun show!

I think a Bulldogs hoodie is in my future. 😂

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Been busy at work so haven't watched too many things until recently, including Devils games, but finally had some time the past two weeks:

-Finally got around to the Attack on Titan finale as well. Pretty satisfying. Definitely crazy but I think they stuck the landing. They threw a lot at you in the last 10-15 episodes.

-The Last of Us is good, great casting. They really nailed the atmosphere of the game and the CGI was probably some of the better stuff I've seen at a time when most Disney and Netflix movies are comically bad and unconvincing. Not sure the show is really necessary, though, if you've played the game. All the impactful moments are basically the same, I'm surprised how faithful they were.

-Saw Killers of the Flower Moon recently as well. Glad it exists as a historical document but you could kind of see where things were headed a third of the way in. Like The Irishman, another one of Scorsese's sleepier movies.

-The Killer was an empty, dumb movie. Fincher's worst by far. Too bad because I like Fassbender and there were some decent fight scenes.

-New season of Rick and Morty has gotten better with the new voice actors as each episode comes out.

And The Nightmare Before Christmas is still the greatest holiday movie of all time.

Reactions: Guadana

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
Been busy at work so haven't watched too many things until recently, including Devils games, but finally had some time the past two weeks:

-Finally got around to the Attack on Titan finale as well. Pretty satisfying. Definitely crazy but I think they stuck the landing. They threw a lot at you in the last 10-15 episodes.

-The Last of Us is good, great casting. They really nailed the atmosphere of the game and the CGI was probably some of the better stuff I've seen at a time when most Disney and Netflix movies are comically bad and unconvincing. Not sure the show is really necessary, though, if you've played the game. All the impactful moments are basically the same, I'm surprised how faithful they were.

-Saw Killers of the Flower Moon recently as well. Glad it exists as a historical document but you could kind of see where things were headed a third of the way in. Like The Irishman, another one of Scorsese's sleepier movies.

-The Killer was an empty, dumb movie. Fincher's worst by far. Too bad because I like Fassbender and there were some decent fight scenes.

-New season of Rick and Morty has gotten better with the new voice actors as each episode comes out.

And The Nightmare Before Christmas is still the greatest holiday movie of all time.

I love Fincher's work and the trailer for The Killer made it seem like it was dripping with the things that make his movies so good. Granted there was some nice set designs and that ambient quality he has with his lighting and "roughness" to his framing of shots but overall it felt like a letdown for sure to the expectations. Too bad too because it felt like there was a good story there just under the surface but what came out in the end wasn't it. Like all setup but no execution. I honestly thought from the trailer we were going to get into a John Wick kinda pinch where a contract killer has lots of others trying to take him out when he botched the job but it didn't go that way.

Reactions: Guadana and Oneiro

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
We’ve started watching A Murder at the End of the World on Hulu. Pretty good so far, even if I can’t always relate to the anxious Gen Z protagonist and the writing is a little heavy handed.

Now I’m looking forward to new episodes. Slightly annoying that they’re released weekly. I’d rather binge them after they’re all on, but was convinced to start before then.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
I watched it last night. It's weird but definitely in a good way. Kind of underwhelming end but you're constantly trying to figure out what the hell is going on throughout the movie. Def worth checking out.
I liked it. Felt drawn out for the anticlimatic end point but still fun. Seemed like there was an alternate ending that would have been more a recovery point and a lesson learned but oh well.

Civil War trailer dropped and that looks interesting. Lots of good work from Alex Garland.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
People watch the weirdest things.

I see nonstop advertising for that Poor Things movie and despite being a fan of Emma Stone, I have literally zero idea what the movie is about and zero interest in wasting any time figuring it out.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
People watch the weirdest things.

I see nonstop advertising for that Poor Things movie and despite being a fan of Emma Stone, I have literally zero idea what the movie is about and zero interest in wasting any time figuring it out.

I wanna see it so avoiding reading too much about it but from what I've seen it's like a bit of a different take of Frankenstein of sorts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad