OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) IV - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Begrudgingly went and saw Space Jam with my daughters and wife tonight. It's NOTHING like the first one which would be fine but this one isn't very good. Aside from the Warner Brothers universe characters in certain scenes it's kind of lame. LeBron has too much dialogue, it took too long to get into him being a cartoon, and it was generally pretty weak. I didn't hate it but I would've rather just watched it at home on HBO Max than spent the $75 on tickets and snacks.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Begrudgingly went and saw Space Jam with my daughters and wife tonight. It's NOTHING like the first one which would be fine but this one isn't very good. Aside from the Warner Brothers universe characters in certain scenes it's kind of lame. LeBron has too much dialogue, it took too long to get into him being a cartoon, and it was generally pretty weak. I didn't hate it but I would've rather just watched it at home on HBO Max than spent the $75 on tickets and snacks.

What are you saying? Anthony Davis’s big screen break wasn’t stellar? LeBron forcing the studio to get AD a role so he’d sign with LA didn’t signal a quality motion picture?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
What are you saying? Anthony Davis’s big screen break wasn’t stellar? LeBron forcing the studio to get AD a role so he’d sign with LA didn’t signal a quality motion picture?
The whole opening slurp session was annoying, the build up was annoying to the transition to cartoon, etc. It wasn't horrible but it certainly wasn't "good".

Reactions: My3Sons

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
There's no way the new space jam was worse than the first episode of the new American horror stories series I just watched lol

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I didn't hate it but I would've rather just watched it at home on HBO Max than spent the $75 on tickets and snacks.

I get the big screen factor to it but I have absolutely no desire to ever go to the movies again, I wasn't going much before covid but with all these movies available so quickly now from my own home I'm definitely not going. Being able to pause, no rude people either talking or on their phones, don't have to sit in the dark(if its not a horror movie I never see a reason to have the lights off while watching tv) and then no expensive tickets or snacks, it just doesn't make sense anymore.

The James Bond movies are the only ones I never miss seeing in the theater but I'm probably just gonna skip that at this point too.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
To add to the going or not going to the movies.

Black Widow opening weekend made $80 million in the US and $60 million on streaming. That would scare me if I was a movie chain.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
There's no way the new space jam was worse than the first episode of the new American horror stories series I just watched lol
Which one did you start? I've seen them all.

I get the big screen factor to it but I have absolutely no desire to ever go to the movies again, I wasn't going much before covid but with all these movies available so quickly now from my own home I'm definitely not going. Being able to pause, no rude people either talking or on their phones, don't have to sit in the dark(if its not a horror movie I never see a reason to have the lights off while watching tv) and then no expensive tickets or snacks, it just doesn't make sense anymore.

The James Bond movies are the only ones I never miss seeing in the theater but I'm probably just gonna skip that at this point too.

Going to movie theaters is so annoying anyway. I am all for big movies coming out at home and in theaters. Much more comfy and convenient watching it at home.
There are certain movies I'll see in theaters but that's kind of just for nostalgic reasons. It's corny but I'll see ever Fast and Furious movie in the theater. I've seen them all, they're a guilty pleasure with a friend and his wife. We've seen almost every one together. More often than not every other movie is just as soon watch at home. It's like $20, you can order food, pause the movie, etc. Far too many advantages to watching them at home. Cost alone is absurd. For two adults and two children tickets it cost $55, $15 for large popcorn and soda, and we snuck candy in for an all in total of probably $80.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Which one did you start? I've seen them all.

There are certain movies I'll see in theaters but that's kind of just for nostalgic reasons. It's corny but I'll see ever Fast and Furious movie in the theater. I've seen them all, they're a guilty pleasure with a friend and his wife. We've seen almost every one together. More often than not every other movie is just as soon watch at home. It's like $20, you can order food, pause the movie, etc. Far too many advantages to watching them at home. Cost alone is absurd. For two adults and two children tickets it cost $55, $15 for large popcorn and soda, and we snuck candy in for an all in total of probably $80.

It's a brand new series on Hulu called America Horror Stories instead of Story, it's supposed to be different stories every episode but the first 2 episodes were actually about a family who moves into the murder house from the first season after all the events that happened. I didn't watch the 2nd episode yet but it was really bad. It looks like the other episodes will be actually new stories which is what I had expected for the whole thing.

I totally get you about nostalgia, that's how I am with the Bond and Terminator movies, the only 2 series I've never missed a movie in the theater seeing. I'm a huge comic book movie fan too but I've seen more of those at home than in the theater.

Black widow making so much money on streaming makes sense. If you gather a few people to watch and order or make some food/snacks it's cheaper to watch from home. It also helps that prices of large tvs and a decent audio systems are more affordable than ever before.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

Black Widow opening weekend made $80 million in the US and $60 million on streaming. That would scare me if I was a movie chain.

Also doesn't Disney have to split some of that 80 million with the theaters vs the 60 million that's entirely theirs? That's even a bigger incentive for them to keep doing this going forward.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Also doesn't Disney have to split some of that 80 million with the theaters vs the 60 million that's entirely theirs? That's even a bigger incentive for them to keep doing this going forward.

I’ve seen articles saying most studios keep 40-60% of US Box office and 15-30% of international box office but I don’t know if that holds true for a mega studio like Disney.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It's a brand new series on Hulu called America Horror Stories instead of Story, it's supposed to be different stories every episode but the first 2 episodes were actually about a family who moves into the murder house from the first season after all the events that happened. I didn't watch the 2nd episode yet but it was really bad. It looks like the other episodes will be actually new stories which is what I had expected for the whole thing.

I totally get you about nostalgia, that's how I am with the Bond and Terminator movies, the only 2 series I've never missed a movie in the theater seeing. I'm a huge comic book movie fan too but I've seen more of those at home than in the theater.

Black widow making so much money on streaming makes sense. If you gather a few people to watch and order or make some food/snacks it's cheaper to watch from home. It also helps that prices of large tvs and a decent audio systems are more affordable than ever before.
Ah yeah, buddy of mine told me about the AHS stuff. Shame it's not good but the fact that I've never even heard of it probably means it's not going to be huge.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey

Yeah Disney has a muuuuuch higher cut compared to other studios at the movie theatre. But they also know without them, most people wont go to the movie theaters so Disney can ask for such a high rate

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

If movie chains really want to come back and survive, I think they need to change their entire business model. Starting with not monopolizing and charging people out the backside for a box of snow caps. 99c at Target but $5.99 if you suckers buy it here!

The only theater my wife and I were going to anymore was Cinebistro where you have to be 21 and up to attend and there are full dinner menus to choose from if you wish. Nothing like steak with lobster Mac n cheese and a cold beer while watching a blockbuster movie. We will do this a few times a year as a way to get out for a few hours, the rest of the movies we just wait for streaming. Disney + also allows you to watch the movie you purchased over and over again compared to 1 viewing in 24 hours like most “rentals” do.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
If movie chains really want to come back and survive, I think they need to change their entire business model. Starting with not monopolizing and charging people out the backside for a box of snow caps. 99c at Target but $5.99 if you suckers buy it here!

The only theater my wife and I were going to anymore was Cinebistro where you have to be 21 and up to attend and there are full dinner menus to choose from if you wish. Nothing like steak with lobster Mac n cheese and a cold beer while watching a blockbuster movie. We will do this a few times a year as a way to get out for a few hours, the rest of the movies we just wait for streaming. Disney + also allows you to watch the movie you purchased over and over again compared to 1 viewing in 24 hours like most “rentals” do.

Agreed, malls, movie theaters, etc…need to transform into an experience destination rather than a transactional destination.

American Dreams is probably too big but they seem to get that the shift is people don’t go to the mall for the store and other stuff; they go to the mall for other stuff and happen to shop at a store too.

Amazon/Walmart/other delivery will be the store if it’s just for a transaction.

My3Sons

Sponsor
If you have any interest the new McCartney documentary on Hulu is really great. Some treads stories you’ve heard before but there is plenty of song breakdown and anecdotes I hadn’t heard before. Also a few photos I haven’t seen before. Say what you will. These songs will be kept like Mozart or Beethoven in another hundred years.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
If you have any interest the new McCartney documentary on Hulu is really great. Some treads stories you’ve heard before but there is plenty of song breakdown and anecdotes I hadn’t heard before. Also a few photos I haven’t seen before. Say what you will. These songs will be kept like Mozart or Beethoven in another hundred years.
is that called 3-2-1 ? I saw a commercial last night with Paul and and old guy with a long beard, but didn't catch enough of the advertisement?
Oh and it seems pretty obvious that Nowhere Man is John singing about himself while also narrating as a third person observing himself. Fairly sophisticated in structure.
Part of John was an insecure man (putting it lightly) that he really didn't want people to know about, but it helped him write more songs

My3Sons

Sponsor
is that called 3-2-1 ? I saw a commercial last night with Paul and and old guy with a long beard, but didn't catch enough of the advertisement?

Part of John was an insecure man (putting it lightly) that he really didn't want people to know about, but it helped him write more songs

Yes it’s the 3-2-1 series of shows. There are six episodes maybe 20-30 minutes per episode. The guy who looks like an older wizard is Rick Rubin who I think is a producer. What’s nice about this as opposed to some other Paul stuff is he goes over some George and John songs as well. I always enjoy when they break down the individual tracks in a song and you hear things that you can’t really hear in the full song. There’s a real clunker note Paul sings in Lucy in the Sky that is buried in the mix but they played it on the show when they broke the song down. Really neat moment. I hope that he will tour again at some point. I really want to take all my kids and my wife next time.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Yes it’s the 3-2-1 series of shows. There are six episodes maybe 20-30 minutes per episode. The guy who looks like an older wizard is Rock Rubin who I think is a producer. What’s nice about this as opposed to some other Paul stuff is he goes over some George and John songs as well. I always enjoy when they break down the individual tracks in a song and you hear things that you can’t really hear in the full song. There’s a real clunker note Paul sings in Lucy in the Sky that is buried in the mix but they played it on the show when they broke the song down. Really neat moment. I hope that he will tour again at some point. I really want to take all my kids and my wife next time.
Rick?
I remember Rick Ruben lol had no idea that was/is him!!!!!

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

I watched this tonight from home, James is an absolutely horrible actor, he's easily the worst part about the movie. Also have no idea why this is almost 2 hours instead of a quick 80-90. I want to know why...

the hell were the rapists from clockwork orange, pennywise and other questionable characters courtside watching the game in a kids movie? After leaving pepe le pew out you would think they wouldn't be putting these characters courtside. At least the other cartoons, Flintstones, Jetsons, Scooby etc etc made sense.

The Michael B Jordan scene was great lol the animation itself, especially the 2d stuff was really great. Overall I agree with ya but I'm sure if I went back and watched the original now I wouldn't like it as much either lol

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I watched this tonight from home, James is an absolutely horrible actor, he's easily the worst part about the movie. Also have no idea why this is almost 2 hours instead of a quick 80-90. I want to know why...

the hell were the rapists from clockwork orange, pennywise and other questionable characters courtside watching the game in a kids movie? After leaving pepe le pew out you would think they wouldn't be putting these characters courtside. At least the other cartoons, Flintstones, Jetsons, Scooby etc etc made sense.

The Michael B Jordan scene was great lol the animation itself, especially the 2d stuff was really great. Overall I agree with ya but I'm sure if I went back and watched the original now I wouldn't like it as much either lol
You would. It's nowhere near as bad. This was horrible. It was too long, the "game" itself was stupid AF. The only good part was Don Cheadle. This made it seem like Jordan should've got an Oscar for his performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad