OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) IV - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I asked my boss if she watched Space Jam 2 with her son (she didn’t). I felt embarrassed describing all of the characters dancing on screen during the basketball game, as well as the scene where Austin Powers, Casablanca, and Rick & Morty show up in the span of one minute.

I’m not kidding when I say it took a half hour after I finished for the fog in my brain to clear completely.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Been really wanting to get an actual PC for a while, and was thinking about pulling the trigger soon. I know a very small amount about specs and what to look for, but not really much at the end of the day. Also been reading about a lot of part shortages, so was likely going to go pre-built (was probably going to anyway because it's easier but now even more so lol). Found this one today and I think it looks pretty good but was wondering if someone who knew more might be able to chime in too

Welcome - Canada Computers & Electronics

In the past I haven't really played too much, I guess high-demand games on my laptop like running Smite is no problem (on low settings). But I'd like to at least have the flexibility to branch out and play some of those games, like New World looks fantastic but I could likely never play it on my current set-up.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Been really wanting to get an actual PC for a while, and was thinking about pulling the trigger soon. I know a very small amount about specs and what to look for, but not really much at the end of the day. Also been reading about a lot of part shortages, so was likely going to go pre-built (was probably going to anyway because it's easier but now even more so lol). Found this one today and I think it looks pretty good but was wondering if someone who knew more might be able to chime in too

Welcome - Canada Computers & Electronics

In the past I haven't really played too much, I guess high-demand games on my laptop like running Smite is no problem (on low settings). But I'd like to at least have the flexibility to branch out and play some of those games, like New World looks fantastic but I could likely never play it on my current set-up.

The specs on it are pretty good. The processor is a little old but still pretty great (I have the same one). What you're paying for most is the graphics card, but that's where the biggest impact of part shortages is. I built a new computer, in a fantastic coincidence, about a month before Covid lockdowns started. Between that and crypto mining, that same graphics card that I got in late February 2020 is now going for three times what I paid for it. Looks like you have two empty RAM slots as well, so you can upgrade that a lot easier in the future.

I truly don't know how pricing is working for parts outside of the aforementioned graphics card, but the computer you linked looks solid enough. Not a bad deal in my eyes.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
The specs on it are pretty good. The processor is a little old but still pretty great (I have the same one). What you're paying for most is the graphics card, but that's where the biggest impact of part shortages is. I built a new computer, in a fantastic coincidence, about a month before Covid lockdowns started. Between that and crypto mining, that same graphics card that I got in late February 2020 is now going for three times what I paid for it. Looks like you have two empty RAM slots as well, so you can upgrade that a lot easier in the future.

I truly don't know how pricing is working for parts outside of the aforementioned graphics card, but the computer you linked looks solid enough. Not a bad deal in my eyes.

Thanks for the info! What nice timing building a computer in February last year lol

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this one

Reactions: None Shall Pass

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Thanks for the info! What nice timing building a computer in February last year lol

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this one

It was a lot of stupid luck on my end, lol.

adding that w the market as it is, the closest you'll get to retail for a graphics card is through pre-builts - resale inflation is nuts

Facts. it's a mess.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
I’m starting Ender Lilies in earnest. It’s one of those Metroidvania Souls-like games, like Dead Cells. It has a very pretentious name (I think the full title is “Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights) but it’s quite good. All consoles plus PC.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Sweet Tooth on Netflix. Fun adventure. Feels like a kids book adapted to a darker adult series or something but damn it's captivating so far. Got great reviews and ratings. 98% on Rotten Tomatoes and 7.9 on IMDB.

It's based on a comic series from Vertigo (DCs more dark/adult line of comics) I had read that years ago but didn't realize it was coming to a Netflix series, I enjoyed it so definitely have to check it out.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Nice! What's the specs?

Processor ModelAMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Number of Cores6
Number of Threads12
Clock Speed3.7 GHz
Processor CoolingAir cooler
GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Graphics Memory8GB
Standard Memory16GB (2x8GB) RGB RAM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
:)

And I got a new monitor since my old one wouldn't have cut it lol. Now I just need another good monitor, and a new desk to support them lol. One step at a time though.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Processor ModelAMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Number of Cores6
Number of Threads12
Clock Speed3.7 GHz
Processor CoolingAir cooler
GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Graphics Memory8GB
Standard Memory16GB (2x8GB) RGB RAM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
:)

And I got a new monitor since my old one wouldn't have cut it lol. Now I just need another good monitor, and a new desk to support them lol. One step at a time though.

Nice. I got a 3070 a few months ago, but I need to upgrade my CPU though. It is 5 years old at this point lol

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Ted Lasso is a great show.
I read this awful NY Times article about TV comedies going from cynical to sincere over the last two years and this show featured prominently in it. As a rule, I don’t trust shows with a boatload of Emmy nominations. I’m watching Schitt’s Creek right now and it’s practically a network sitcom with no-no words. Great acting, though.

On top of that, I don’t have Apple TV+.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I read this awful NY Times article about TV comedies going from cynical to sincere over the last two years and this show featured prominently in it. As a rule, I don’t trust shows with a boatload of Emmy nominations. I’m watching Schitt’s Creek right now and it’s practically a network sitcom with no-no words. Great acting, though.

With the subjective nature of comedy and the desperate nature of scripted content providers to gather immediate results in terms of eyeballs I expect more "trendy" or "safe" comedy as opposed to inventive or novel comedy. Heck, look at Seinfeld. It was floundering at first. I doubt it would survive in today's environment. The critics would say it's too cynical and they'd point at the ratings to "prove" their point. I'm sure other well regarded shows followed a similar pattern. Some shows have a built in audience like Curb Your Enthusiasm that probably had sizable crossover audience of Seinfeld fans plus the people discovering Larry David for the first time.

Maybe secondary cable/streaming is the future of comedy. A show like What We Do In the Shadows can run for three seasons on F/X. On a bigger channel it maybe gets 10 episodes before the suits decide it isn't getting enough ratings even if it brings some prestige and good demographics to the network.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

I’m the same way where a heavily awarded movie or show will normally deter me instead of steer me towards it. I stayed away mainly because I have zero interest in soccer but I gave it a shot because of JS. Some great acting and a fantastic mainly unknown (to me) supporting cast and the show just has… heart.

I signed up for the 1 year free Apple TV to watch some of the shows I like and if they don’t bring on a bunch of more shows or movies then I will cancel it.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
On another note… I love these streaming services so I can start or catch up on shows ive never watched.

Starting off with…

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Shameless (I was behind 3 or 4 seasons)

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Finally jumped on the bandwagon and dove into Outer Banks. Solid albeit super unrealistic show. My biggest and perhaps sole issue with it is their ages in the show. They're supposed to be 16, if they were college aged I'd have zero issues, but they're not and it's weird to me. Otherwise it's a fun show to watch and is worthy of your time.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I’m the same way where a heavily awarded movie or show will normally deter me instead of steer me towards it. I stayed away mainly because I have zero interest in soccer but I gave it a shot because of JS. Some great acting and a fantastic mainly unknown (to me) supporting cast and the show just has… heart.

I signed up for the 1 year free Apple TV to watch some of the shows I like and if they don’t bring on a bunch of more shows or movies then I will cancel it.

I like Servant on there, M. Night can be really hit or miss at times but it's a good one.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Matthews on the NHL 22 cover again. I’m cracking up because Rags fans were convinced it would be Panarin after their teaser (which definitely made it seem that way).

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Matthews on the NHL 22 cover again. I’m cracking up because Rags fans were convinced it would be Panarin after their teaser (which definitely made it seem that way).

i didn't watch their video or anything, are they actually making any changes this year? or is it going to be the same slop for $70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad