OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) IV - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Snyder doesn't get these characters. His version of Superman being the biggest failure of his DC tenure.

The Snyder Cut is a textbook inefficient film making. There is zero reason a movie like that needs to be 4 hours.

WB should not have let him touch Darkseid that was stupid.
He did a decent job and the movie was awesome even though it was 4 hours. I'm glad he saved the movie with his cut and hope they make a sequel. Most people will deff disagree with your hot take.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Mixed thoughts on Godzilla vs Kong. I enjoyed it, but I liked King of the Monsters more. King of the Monsters was a love letter to all the classic Godzilla films I love, and I expected this movie to be more of that. Instead it was more Kong-centric than I was expecting, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it felt more like Skull Island 2 with Godzilla tacked on than a proper Godzilla vs Kong film.

The action was outstanding, if that's what you're looking for you won't be disappointed. But it seems like they're taking the franchise in a different direction than I expected and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Seems like they're moving away from the classic monster mythology and into a more experimental high tech sci-fi kind of setting.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I know it's kind of old but I've been working on binging Sons of Anarchy and I'm just about to finish up season 3. I should've watched this a long time ago. I've been told I'm going to really dislike the way it ends though so I'm not looking forward to that.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I know it's kind of old but I've been working on binging Sons of Anarchy and I'm just about to finish up season 3. I should've watched this a long time ago. I've been told I'm going to really dislike the way it ends though so I'm not looking forward to that.

At least you have some warning. I watched it when it was first on and basically felt the way about the last few seasons some people do about the last season of GOT. Maybe that's why I didn't hate GOT so much. I was used to a disappointing ending to a show I loved.:laugh:

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Yeah SOA fell off towards the end but there are still some wild moments.

If you like it, you've gotta watch The Shield. One of the most underrated shows ever. Probably one of the best opening episodes I've ever seen too. Kurt Sutter, the creator of SOA, wrote some episodes (the craziest ones) and you can definitely see how it set a precedent for some of the things SOA does.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

If you like it, you've gotta watch The Shield. One of the most underrated shows ever. Probably one of the best opening episodes I've ever seen too. Kurt Sutter, the creator of SOA, wrote some episodes (the craziest ones) and you can definitely see how it set a precedent for some of the things SOA does.

Ive watched all of SoA and none of the Shield. So, are you saying that all of the Kurt Sutter episodes of the Shield involve a chase scene with random music thrown in?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Mixed thoughts on Godzilla vs Kong. I enjoyed it, but I liked King of the Monsters more. King of the Monsters was a love letter to all the classic Godzilla films I love, and I expected this movie to be more of that. Instead it was more Kong-centric than I was expecting, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it felt more like Skull Island 2 with Godzilla tacked on than a proper Godzilla vs Kong film.

The action was outstanding, if that's what you're looking for you won't be disappointed. But it seems like they're taking the franchise in a different direction than I expected and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Seems like they're moving away from the classic monster mythology and into a more experimental high tech sci-fi kind of setting.

I agree it was a bit jarring when Kong built a time machine to get rid of Godzilla by sending him into the past but Jeff Goldblum accidentally got into the machine with him before Kong activated the Pym particles.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

The Shield was fantastic. I watched that when it was on.

Reactions: Oneiro

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I agree it was a bit jarring when Kong built a time machine to get rid of Godzilla by sending him into the past but Jeff Goldblum accidentally got into the machine with him before Kong activated the Pym particles.

Man, I knew I fell asleep for a minute there but can’t believe I missed that much.

Reactions: My3Sons

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
The Shield was fantastic. I watched that when it was on.
I gotta watch it then.

I just finished the very short first season of Coyote and I really liked it. Chiklis plays a character that reminds me of a mix of Mike and Hank from Breaking Bad/Saul. Paramount ordered 10 episodes for the season 1 but it only ran 6. Also moved to CBS All-access which now is Paramount + so that might have had something to do with it. Very enjoyable but the writing had some holes that are easy to dismiss but kind of mess with the motives not aligning to the character's established history.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I gotta watch it then.

I just finished the very short first season of Coyote and I really liked it. Chiklis plays a character that reminds me of a mix of Mike and Hank from Breaking Bad/Saul. Paramount ordered 10 episodes for the season 1 but it only ran 6. Also moved to CBS All-access which now is Paramount + so that might have had something to do with it. Very enjoyable but the writing had some holes that are easy to dismiss but kind of mess with the motives not aligning to the character's established history.
Chiklis was VERY good in The Shield.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Not gonna lie, you might be right on this one

SoA was very much so a guilty pleasure show for me but in hindsight I could’ve stopped before the last few seasons where it seemed like Sutter was killing off characters just for the hell of it. The show he made right after that with his wife again in it was horrible though. I didn’t even make it through 1 episode.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
SoA was very much so a guilty pleasure show for me but in hindsight I could’ve stopped before the last few seasons where it seemed like Sutter was killing off characters just for the hell of it. The show he made right after that with his wife again in it was horrible though. I didn’t even make it through 1 episode.

Oh man, yeah, that medieval series was horrible. Can't believe I made it to episode three, purely out of respect for Sutter. I forget the title and I don't want to make myself look it up.

Same for me in that SOA was a guilty pleasure. I'd say The Shield still has a lot of "bro" energy, but you can probably take it a little more seriously as a show.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Oh man, yeah, that medieval series was horrible. Can't believe I made it to episode three, purely out of respect for Sutter. I forget the title and I don't want to make myself look it up.

Same for me in that SOA was a guilty pleasure. I'd say The Shield still has a lot of "bro" energy, but you can probably take it a little more seriously as a show.

Ive had the Shield and the Wire on my list to watch for years now but have never started because I feel like I waited too long and the shows wouldn’t hold up and allow me to appreciate them as I would’ve if I watched when they were new.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Ive had the Shield and the Wire on my list to watch for years now but have never started because I feel like I waited too long and the shows wouldn’t hold up and allow me to appreciate them as I would’ve if I watched when they were new.
I don't know anything about the shield, but the wire definitely holds up.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I started watching The Wire on Amazon when the Corona shit first hit the fan, got to season 3 and HBO Max came out and they pulled all their content off Amazon. I should get an HBO account I suppose because I did enjoy the show.

I just finished season 3 of SOA. Crazy season finale.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I started watching The Wire on Amazon when the Corona shit first hit the fan, got to season 3 and HBO Max came out and they pulled all their content off Amazon. I should get an HBO account I suppose because I did enjoy the show.

I just finished season 3 of SOA. Crazy season finale.

HBO Max has a lot of content I wouldn't expect to see. Like how does Rick and Morty land there?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Oh man, so stoked for Rick and Morty. My favorite show, along with Curb Your Enthusiasm.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I didn't expect to find Babylon 5 on HBO Max. Not that I really need to watch it again. I can already practically mute it and give dialogue from most episodes.:laugh:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
So, I watched Ted Lasso because a few of you had recommended it. I have little to no interest in soccer but once I got through the 1st 2 episodes, I was hooked. Jason Sudekis really does do a phenomenal job with his character and at first I was watching for just him but I quickly became invested in many of the characters. Damn good show. What’s next?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
So, I watched Ted Lasso because a few of you had recommended it. I have little to no interest in soccer but once I got through the 1st 2 episodes, I was hooked. Jason Sudekis really does do a phenomenal job with his character and at first I was watching for just him but I quickly became invested in many of the characters. Damn good show. What’s next?
Yellowstone of you haven't. I cannot say enough good things about that show. Absolutely loved it. It has catapulted into my top 10 fav shows ever.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Yellowstone of you haven't. I cannot say enough good things about that show. Absolutely loved it. It has catapulted into my top 10 fav shows ever.

I was very late to Yellowstone but I did watch all the seasons this year. That season finale cliffhanger was nuts.

Reactions: Billdo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad