OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) IV - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Watched Nomadland last night. It was...interesting. Frances McDormand is obviously an incredible actress, but the movie kind of just meandered and was pretty depressing.

A movie called "Nomadland" was...meandering? wow what a surprise :laugh:

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
A movie called "Nomadland" was...meandering? wow what a surprise :laugh:

Lol touché. There was just no plot. The best part was the actual nomads that were in the movie and their stories, but it felt like a Frankenstein of many other movies that got their message across more effectively.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I've been going very deep into HunterXHunter Lately.

The Chimera Ant Arc is not as great as greed island but i'm interested to see where it goes...while I wait patiently for Black Clover and Fire Force to trickle out

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Anyone watch the new HBO MAX series Beartown? All I know from the trailer is it’s centered around a small town in Sweden and their hockey team. Might give it a try.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Anyone watch the new HBO MAX series Beartown? All I know from the trailer is it’s centered around a small town in Sweden and their hockey team. Might give it a try.

No, but my mom read the book and enjoyed it. I couldn’t get into it, and I don’t remember why.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
if you like westerns you should watch the Mandalorian if you haven't yet. It's got that good western movie vibe and pacing and look. It's lots of fun.

It was written in the style of a samurai/western story but I wouldn't say it's got that "look" so much as a few episodes that stay put in the small town/village and focus on the plight of the common folks being pushed around by the baddies. S2 Ep1 certainly was all western inspired for sure. I think Favreau actually directed that one too which he didn't any of the others.

It certainly is worth watching regardless and is some of the best episodic story telling I've seen on television to date. You don't need to know the Star Wars universe to enjoy it either.

And for fans of the series if you haven't seen the Gallery episodes yet they are awesome.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I found out in the end of season 4 of the King of the Hill binge my fiancée and I have been doing is that she’s barely seen any of it. There aren’t many shows that I can say I’ve introduced her to since she’s seen so many of them, so this adds a new wrinkle.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I found out in the end of season 4 of the King of the Hill binge my fiancée and I have been doing is that she’s barely seen any of it. There aren’t many shows that I can say I’ve introduced her to since she’s seen so many of them, so this adds a new wrinkle.
I knew of King of the Hill, maybe saw an episode here and there.

A southerner I've been dating forced me to watch it and I must say it's excellent.

Thats's my purse! I don't know you!

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Guess who animated King of the Hill? Dave Filoni from The Mandalorian and Star Wars Rebels, etc.

The irony is it's an animated show that easily could have been live action because it doesn't need animation to work. It is like Married With Children, a few static sets drawn time again, and very few locations with action things that would have been cost prohibitive to work. Great show. Hank going to see his brother in Japan is one of my favorites and they stayed the entire time in the entryway not realizing the suite was behind the other door thinking all rooms would be super small.

Reactions: My3Sons and Oneiro

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
this is for you 82
its the band I mentioned in the game day thread (against the rags the other night)
its the lead track from the album, its what turned me on to the band, I like lots of guitar

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
WandaVision finale thoughts?

Overall I thought this whole series was a waste of my time but stuck with it cause I usually enjoy most things Marvel. That final fight between Scarlett and Agatha was lame.

Wanda deserves to pay for what she did yet Monica throws out some line about these people don't know what you sacrificed for them, sacrificed what? Her imaginary family? She ruined and controlled those civilians lives for quite some time.

The worst part was bringing in Evan Peters in just to make a boner joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ripshot 43

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
WandaVision finale thoughts?
I understandand @Satans Hockey opinion and agree with some of it.

I wouldn't call the series a waste of time, but it did disappoint me to a degree.

Skrulls/Fury coming into play in the initial post-credits was cool, Wanda and Vison saying goodbye was predictably emotional (again), Vision using logic against Vision v2 made sense, and I didn't dislike the conflict between her and Agatha.

However, I was expecting at least a proper teaser for mutants making their way in to the mcu instead of them overplaying the witch angle (near the end of the episode seemed like an opportune time if you ask me) and the way Evan Peters' character played out was annoying.

All in all Feige gets the benefit of the doubt because A) he's earned it, and B) because I really didn't enjoy many of the early mcu films either, so I have to believe there's a plan. The last one took a decade so I can't hate on this too much.

Last edited:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Coming 2 America definitely had its moments. Not a great film by any means but it did the original justice - unlike a certain "reboot" director who happens to be from NJ.

Just a pleasant enough goofy comedy that's worth a watch.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Coming 2 America definitely had its moments. Not a great film by any means but it did the original justice - unlike a certain "reboot" director who happens to be from NJ.

Just a pleasant enough goofy comedy that's worth a watch.

Havent watched it yet but I assume you are referring to Kevin Smith?

I’m a huge Smith fan... Clerks 2 was great (glad to hear 3 will start filming in a couple months) Strikes back 2 I haven’t even watched all the way through it was nearly on a Yoogahosers bad type level.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Overall I thought this whole series was a waste of my time but stuck with it cause I usually enjoy most things Marvel. That final fight between Scarlett and Agatha was lame.

Wanda deserves to pay for what she did yet Monica throws out some line about these people don't know what you sacrificed for them, sacrificed what? Her imaginary family? She ruined and controlled those civilians lives for quite some time.

The worst part was bringing in Evan Peters in just to make a boner joke.

I understandand @Satans Hockey opinion and agree with some of it.

I wouldn't call the series a waste of time, but it did disappoint me to a degree.

Skrulls/Fury coming into play in the initial post-credits was cool, Wanda and Vison saying goodbye was predictably emotional (again), Vision using logic against Vision v2 made sense, and I didn't dislike the conflict between her and Agatha.

However, I was expecting at least a proper teaser for mutants making their way in to the mcu instead of them overplaying the witch angle (near the end of the episode seemed like an opportune time if you ask me) and the way Evan Peters' character played out was annoying.

All in all Feige gets the benefit of the doubt because A) he's earned it, and B) because I really didn't enjoy many of the early mcu films either, so I have to believe there's a plan. The last one took a decade so I can't hate on this too much.

I still stand by that the first few episodes were a waste for me. I didn’t care for the WandaVision sitcom but I get what they were trying To do, I just think it should’ve happened faster. I agree and think it was lazy writing to act as if Wanda was a hero at the end when basically she just agreed to “allow” people to go back to not being enslaved. From episode 4 and on I really did start to enjoy the show more and do appreciate that the shows main purpose was to further Vision and Wandas story outside of the movies. Vision is now the white version and Wanda has become the Scarlet Witch and we will see this even further in Doctor Strange 2. I hope the actors learn a lesson and realize how much Paul Bettany did the show a disservice by teasing a huge cameo at the end of the show which all ended up being a joke (he was referring to himself as White Vision).

All in all, Falcon and the Winter Soldier starts in a few weeks and this show always seemed like more my cup of tea. It’s giving me Winter Soldier type vibes with the action and espionage. Love these two guys together and I look forward to more Emily VanCamp.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Havent watched it yet but I assume you are referring to Kevin Smith?

I’m a huge Smith fan... Clerks 2 was great (glad to hear 3 will start filming in a couple months) Strikes back 2 I haven’t even watched all the way through it was nearly on a Yoogahosers bad type level.
Yeah, I was talking about J & SB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad