OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) IV - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Yellowstone of you haven't. I cannot say enough good things about that show. Absolutely loved it. It has catapulted into my top 10 fav shows ever.
Here’s Taylor Sheridan’s (the creator/head writer) new movie if anyone that likes Yellowstone or his other stuff is interested. Personally if I see his name attached to something I’m in.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I was very late to Yellowstone but I did watch all the seasons this year. That season finale cliffhanger was nuts.
I didn't watch it while it's been on air, just on demand and I watched the entire series twice already lol. Cannot wait for the next season. Talking about late though I'm just now into the 5th season of Sons of Anarchy having never watched it until last month.
Here’s Taylor Sheridan’s (the creator/head writer) new movie if anyone that likes Yellowstone or his other stuff is interested. Personally if I see his name attached to something I’m in.

That looks pretty solid.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Anyone watching The Mighty Ducks show on Disney +? I’m on the fence about sticking with it after the first few episodes. It’s definitely much more geared towards kids rather than adults who might get a nostalgia factor from the ties to the original movie. I’ve mostly just been watching it since it’s dropping on the same day as Falcon and Winter Soldier.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Anyone watching The Mighty Ducks show on Disney +? I’m on the fence about sticking with it after the first few episodes. It’s definitely much more geared towards kids rather than adults who might get a nostalgia factor from the ties to the original movie. I’ve mostly just been watching it since it’s dropping on the same day as Falcon and Winter Soldier.

I watched the first episode and realized that, as you say, it's geared more towards kids than adults. I enjoyed the movies as a kid, but it's not a franchise I have a lot of nostalgia for. Plus I can't get over how much Emilio looks like his dad now. For a second I was like "President Bartlett is in this?".:laugh:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

I’ve been watching. It’s a short watch but something I could easily stop watching. To me, shows like this only work for the original audience if you bring back enough of the nostalgia of the original and so far they haven’t come close. If this show is going to last they better have a plan to bring back some of the old players in semi large roles, otherwise it’s just the mom from the Gilmore girls trying to be Gordon Bombay. Too much goofy/outcast kids and not enough hockey with said kids.

Reactions: Nicomo Cosca

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Yes and it's awesome. Loving this season 2 - really went from the slight historical grounded plot to just full creative writing and deep character dives and their flaws.

Feels like Man in the High Castle meets The Right Stuff to me.

I just watched the 1st 10 minutes to get it started after finishing Ted Lasso. Man in the High Castle is another one that I’ve had on my list for so long but keep pushing off. I’m a big fan of alternate reality storylines so I’m a bit surprised that I keep skipping over it.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I just watched the 1st 10 minutes to get it started after finishing Ted Lasso. Man in the High Castle is another one that I’ve had on my list for so long but keep pushing off. I’m a big fan of alternate reality storylines so I’m a bit surprised that I keep skipping over it.

Man in the high castle was not good at all sadly. A big disappointment to me :(

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I so desperately wanted to like it. I typically enjoy science fiction, alternative reality and world war 2 movies. This combined all three. It was just too slow and not compelling enough to keep me interested. I gave up at some point in season 2. As always, movies are subjective and others may find it engrossing.

Reactions: Darkauron

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

I liked the first half of the first season, it tailed off a bit to me. The 2nd season was just a big cluster of confusion and I fought to get through it but a few of the plot lines kept me watching. Season 3 was much better imo and even if it felt detached in general from the first 2 seasons it nicely focused in on things leaving a lot of the chaos of season 2 behind. I didn't read the book which apparently was great in comparison and won best novel of the year in 1963.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
:laugh:

I so desperately wanted to like it. I typically enjoy science fiction, alternative reality and world war 2 movies. This combined all three. It was just too slow and not compelling enough to keep me interested. I gave up at some point in season 2. As always, movies are subjective and others may find it engrossing.

I liked the first half of the first season, it tailed off a bit to me. The 2nd season was just a big cluster of confusion and I fought to get through it but a few of the plot lines kept me watching. Season 3 was much better imo and even if it felt detached in general from the first 2 seasons it nicely focused in on things leaving a lot of the chaos of season 2 behind. I didn't read the book which apparently was great in comparison and won best novel of the year in 1963.

Further down the list it tumbles :laugh:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I’m interested in checking out Man in the High Castle but have Counterpart ahead of it when I want to scratch that alternative world itch.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
:laugh:

Further down the list it tumbles :laugh:

I think a big part of the problem is that for most alternative histories of this era the main drawing card is what would have things been like if the Nazis won. The train wreck you can’t look away from. Man in the High Castle only played around the edges of that since it focused on the US and Japan to a large extent and invented characters in spots rather than use historical figures. Then at times it tried to subvert your expectations by making you see some of the Nazis as anti-heroes or at least they departed from their image. As someone who studied some military history in college and has read extensively on the subject I was just disappointed in how the show built and executed its world and its narrative. It was also too slow a burn for me. Again I’m not trashing it and I could see how others would enjoy it.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I think a big part of the problem is that for most alternative histories of this era the main drawing card is what would have things been like if the Nazis won. The train wreck you can’t look away from. Man in the High Castle only played around the edges of that since it focused on the US and Japan to a large extent and invented characters in spots rather than use historical figures. Then at times it tried to subvert your expectations by making you see some of the Nazis as anti-heroes or at least they departed from their image. As someone who studied some military history in college and has read extensively on the subject I was just disappointed in how the show built and executed its world and its narrative. It was also too slow a burn for me. Again I’m not trashing it and I could see how others would enjoy it.

I think it would have been a lot better...if the main characters were not absolute garbage. All of the Japanese, german, ect characters were great (John smith, Kido, MVP Tagomi) . But when the main chars like Juliana and Joe were GARBAGE it really subtracted from it all.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
The Man in the High Castle is based upon a book of the same name written by the sci-fi legend Philip K Dick (Whose books and stories were the basis of "Blade Runner", "Minority Report", "A Scanner Darkly", "Total Recall", etc.). I'm a huge fan of his and read the book a few times before watching the series.

Fans of his work (Yes, fans of Dick) like to judge screen adaptations based on how the world shown feels, as a big part of his writing is how well he creates the world the story is taking place in. Man in the High Castle, the show, does that extremely well. It may not be the most accurate or in-depth portrayal of how Japan and Nazi Germany would divide up the US, but that atmosphere is dead-on. I remember one scene in season 2 or 3 when a beaten-down old car breaks down in some sparsely populated Midwestern road and the characters on screen realize that the "snow" they're seeing is actually ash coming from concentration camps.

I'd also argue that the show actually does a pretty solid job in portraying what life in the US would be like if split between Japan and Germany. The buffer zone between the two makes sense, as they were allies of convenience only. The German-occupied side was run like a colony; idyllic images of everyday New England suburban nationalism only changed by Swastikas instead of stars, New York City still gritty and grimy but run by collaborators and gestapo, disabled kids being pulled out of regular every day life to face a decidedly-Nazi fate. California being turned into a Japanese protectorate with all the requisite cruelty that Imperial Japan (And really everyone back then) displayed towards their captives.

The science-fiction of PKD's work regularly appears more subtly in the worlds he creates in most of his work. That is true of MITHC as well. It's not an omnipresent thing constantly happening.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I have to say that I've enjoyed Falcon and Winter Soldier more than I did Wandavision. Hard to believe the finale is next week already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad