OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) IV - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
On the game front, I just bought Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition on Steam for $10 with the Black Friday discount.

I loved AoE II originally way back when, and they just improved the graphics and rolled all of the DLC into the package, added a few new units and features. It's awesome. If you ever liked the original game, it's more than worth the $10.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
On the game front, I just bought Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition on Steam for $10 with the Black Friday discount.

I loved AoE II originally way back when, and they just improved the graphics and rolled all of the DLC into the package, added a few new units and features. It's awesome. If you ever liked the original game, it's more than worth the $10.

Is that a RTS like C&C base building type game?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yea, the newest episode of the Mandalorian is one of the best of the series.

Speaking of Taika he directed an episode last season and voiced a droid character. He’s very funny but it’s subtle clever type humor and it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

My middle son watched the Star Wars cartoons when he was younger and knows the secondary characters. He loved the episode yesterday and showed me a picture of the movie that inspired the look and feel of the episode.

Reactions: Darkauron

My3Sons

Sponsor
Ok I’ll go for the Taika hat trick. If you liked the third Thor movie that was him. I thought it was much much better than those noir first two Thor movies. A fun conventional action movie.

If you want to watch a director walk a tight rope watch the JoJo rabbit movie. He somehow manages to inject humor into a heavy subject movie. I get why some might have been unable to get past the subject matter but I thought he did a masterful job managing the tone. His Hitler portrayal is hysterical.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Ok I’ll go for the Taika hat trick. If you liked the third Thor movie that was him. I thought it was much much better than those noir first two Thor movies. A fun conventional action movie.

If you want to watch a director walk a tight rope watch the JoJo rabbit movie. He somehow manages to inject humor into a heavy subject movie. I get why some might have been unable to get past the subject matter but I thought he did a masterful job managing the tone. His Hitler portrayal is hysterical.

That last sentence you typed seems so... odd? But I get what you are saying. I’ve heard good things about the movie but haven’t gotten a chance to watch it (it’s still
Available on HBO so I’ve added it to my list and will watch here shortly). Never noticed that the director was actually portraying Hitler until you mentioned this and I looked for a picture of him. Thor 3 was light years better than the first 2 and I felt like he allowed guardians of the galaxy to influence his style with that movie.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
That last sentence you typed seems so... odd? But I get what you are saying. I’ve heard good things about the movie but haven’t gotten a chance to watch it (it’s still
Available on HBO so I’ve added it to my list and will watch here shortly). Never noticed that the director was actually portraying Hitler until you mentioned this and I looked for a picture of him. Thor 3 was light years better than the first 2 and I felt like he allowed guardians of the galaxy to influence his style with that movie.

Yeah JoJo Rabbit is a surreal movie. It’s really stark subject matter set in a bizarre world. It has brutal moments and funny ones. It’s underlying subject matter is some of the worst time in the modern word but Waititi manages to keep it moving and handles the characters with sympathy. It’s a balancing act that I think he pulls off really well.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
it's on hulu, which is having a deal rn, where you'll pay 1.99 for their basic package for the year, per month.

speaking of Hulu, just finished season 1 of What We Do In The Shadows -- i LOVEEEEEE it
I don't even remember what this was about, what did I want to see so bad?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Idk if it's been mentioned but Yellowstone is truly one of the best series I've ever seen in my entire life. Watched all three seasons in about 2 weeks. It's insane how good it is. Highly recommended.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Idk if it's been mentioned but Yellowstone is truly one of the best series I've ever seen in my entire life. Watched all three seasons in about 2 weeks. It's insane how good it is. Highly recommended.

I keep trying to watch it but it’s difficult with two children. I literally started the 1st episode today and 3 seconds in Kevin Costner is about to put a hole in a horses head with a pistol. :laugh: My wife and I were like... well, that was a nice try, maybe tonight? :laugh:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I keep trying to watch it but it’s difficult with two children. I literally started the 1st episode today and 3 seconds in Kevin Costner is about to put a hole in a horses head with a pistol. :laugh: My wife and I were like... well, that was a nice try, maybe tonight? :laugh:
100% NOT kid friendly. It's horribly graphic in some instances and they drop a ton of curse words lol. It's really an amazingly well done show.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
I love Yellowstone. I wouldn’t quite put it up there in the top tier with The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, etc but it’s definitely one of my favorites shows right now. I’m a big fan of the creator (Taylor Sheridan). His unofficial “frontier trilogy” of Sicario, Hell or High Water, and Wind River are all fantastic. He wrote all 3, and directed Wind River.

Yellowstone is a blast though. I’ve always liked Costner, and the locations are just stunning. It’s set in Montana, but I believe a lot of the filming is actually in Utah.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I was kind of nervous about them pulling off a live action Ahsoka, but I think they did a fantastic job. Rosario Dawson was completely believable. She even had Ahsoka's mannerisms from the animated series. That was probably the most enjoyable 40+ minutes of Star Wars I've watched in years.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008

I absolutely hate what he did with Thor, but JoJo Rabbit is a masterpiece.

Reactions: My3Sons

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The first two Thor movies were painfully boring and mediocre. Ragnarok was hilarious and fun and works in a lot of very subtle ways.

If you think of Ragnarok and Infinity War as one complete story arc for Thor it makes a lot of sense. Despite the radically different tones the themes are consistent and Hemsworth does an incredible job bridging them. It's a character arc where you take everything away from him and find out who he really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad