OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) IV - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Ragnarok is one of my favorite movies in the MCU. But I also haven't read many of the comics, so I guess I never had any expectations for the character of Thor to begin with.

That's fair. I was a huge Thor nerd growing up. I own every Thor comic printed from 91- 15 lol. Grew up hearing stories of the !Æsir and Vanir from my Swedish grandparents so I really related to Thor.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
The first two Thor movies were painfully boring and mediocre. Ragnarok was hilarious and fun and works in a lot of very subtle ways.

If you think of Ragnarok and Infinity War as one complete story arc for Thor it makes a lot of sense. Despite the radically different tones the themes are consistent and Hemsworth does an incredible job bridging them. It's a character arc where you take everything away from him and find out who he really is.
Guess I just look at it from a longtime comic fan. Not saying they're BAD movies by any means. Just no a fan of how they changed the characterization of my favorite Marvel hero.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Guess I just look at it from a longtime comic fan. Not saying they're BAD movies by any means. Just no a fan of how they changed the characterization of my favorite Marvel hero.

How do you feel about the direction the character and series is headed in with this next movie?

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Not really interested tbh. Jane as "thor" is the reason I stopped reading the comics. It's just pandering to gender/ identity politics and that's not for me. I dont begrudge anyone representation in media, I just think theres better ways to do it then completely destroy a classic character. I have no problem with Jane wilding Mjolnir, but taking his identity and name was just to much for me. Whether they'll take it that far in the movie, I dont know. These movies aren't made for me anyway, so my opinion is moot.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Ragnarok is one of my favorite films in the MCU but I understand your sentiment.

I grew up reading almost exclusively x-men comics. If they portrayed wolverine as comic relief in the films I'd be pissed.

Reactions: LeedsMonster

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Not really interested tbh. Jane as "thor" is the reason I stopped reading the comics. It's just pandering to gender/ identity politics and that's not for me. I dont begrudge anyone representation in media, I just think theres better ways to do it then completely destroy a classic character. I have no problem with Jane wilding Mjolnir, but taking his identity and name was just to much for me. Whether they'll take it that far in the movie, I dont know. These movies aren't made for me anyway, so my opinion is moot.
Meh. Again, I'm no comic Avengers fan, I probably haven't read a single one. But it does seem that they're at least trying to keep to some form symbiosis with the books.

As far as identity politics is concerned Marvel has been pushing the envelope in regards to that for more than half a century. No worries though, their biggest stars and most powerful characters were/are still straight, white (or purple) men.

Personally, I can't say that I feel underrepresented by Magneto, Captain, Ironman, Thanos, Professor X, Wolverine, Thor, Hulk, Spiderman, and Cyclops.

Your identity will be just fine. Feeling threatened by others however, isn't a great look.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Ragnarok is one of my favorite films in the MCU but I understand your sentiment.

I grew up reading almost exclusively x-men comics. If they portrayed wolverine as comic relief in the films I'd be pissed.

Wolverine was one of the few characters the Fox- Men didn’t totally destroy. With that even said, I think I see it that way mainly because of Hugh Jackman and they still missed out on so many storylines or different directions to take his character.

Between the X-men and Fantastic Four I’m very excited to see what Marvel will cook up.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Meh. Again, I'm no comic Avengers fan, I probably haven't read a single one. But it does seem that they're at least trying to keep to some form symbiosis with the books.

As far as identity politics is concerned Marvel has been pushing the envelope in regards to that for more than half a century. No worries though, their biggest stars and most powerful characters were/are still straight, white (or purple) men.

Personally, I can't say that I feel underrepresented by Magneto, Captain, Ironman, Thanos, Professor X, Wolverine, Thor, Hulk, Spiderman, and Cyclops.

Your identity will be just fine. Feeling threatened by others however, isn't a great look.

Thanos would most likely be insulted that you called him a man lol

The biggest hurdle for the big two companies, Marvel and DC is that creating new characters that are successful no matter what they look like is ridiculously hard. There's just way too many buying options for comics as it is and most people stick with what they know and because they just expect a new series to get cancelled pretty quickly.

It's simply easier for them to just make Jane Thor or add a new person in a Batman outfit as part of his family than to create something that's entirely new. People still see that its Thor or Batman related and will buy it. They just aren't as willing to jump on to something that is completely new as easily.

Personally as long as it's entertaining or a good read/watch I don't care what the character is but I would much rather read/watch something that's entirely new instead of an existing character just being swapped.

Last edited:

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008

Whos threatened? I was asked a question and gave my opinion. Thor is a character close to my heart is all. Jane as the Thunder God would be one thing, but totally taking his actual name and identity was just a bit much for me. I get diversity and representation, truly I do. I'm glad people of all identifications can watch these movies and see themselves represented and have characters they can relate to. My opinion was confined to a very specific situation, regarding a specific charachter

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Wolverine was one of the few characters the Fox- Men didn’t totally destroy. With that even said, I think I see it that way mainly because of Hugh Jackman and they still missed out on so many storylines or different directions to take his character.

Between the X-men and Fantastic Four I’m very excited to see what Marvel will cook up.

Definitely excited to see what the do with X-Men.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

Fox certainly screwed the pooch when it came to a cohesive film series, but I'd argue that magneto, professor x (both in both incarnations), nightcrawler, mystique, and beast were masterfully cast. There were no faults in Deadpool as well.

I am excited to see what feige can do once he's unleashed with all of these characters.

Reactions: LeedsMonster

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Whos threatened? I was asked a question and gave my opinion. Thor is a character close to my heart is all. Jane as the Thunder God would be one thing, but totally taking his actual name and identity was just a bit much for me. I get diversity and representation, truly I do. I'm glad people of all identifications can watch these movies and see themselves represented and have characters they can relate to. My opinion was confined to a very specific situation, regarding a specific charachter
Generally when people mention "identity politics" it means they feel threatened by the changing tide. If that's not you, cool.

I understand your frustration with the Thor character if that's not how it played out in the comics. But I'm ignorant to that and therefore can't comment.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Thanos would most likely be insulted that you called him a man lol

The biggest hurdle for the big two companies, Marvel and DC is that creating new characters that are successful no matter what they look like is ridiculously hard. There's just way too many buying options for comics as it is and most people stick with what they know and because they just expect a new series to get cancelled pretty quickly.

It's simply easier for them to just make Jane Thor or add a new person in a Batman outfit as part of his family than to create something that's entirely new. People still see that its Thor or Batman related and will buy it. They just aren't as willing to jump on to something that is completely new as easily.

Personally as long as it's entertaining or a good read/watch I don't care what the character is but I would much rather read/watch something that's entirely new instead of an existing character just being swapped.
I think Batman is much nearer to James Bond than Thor or Wolverine.

Batman has been played by a dozen(?) guys over the course of the years. All of the actors associated with most Marvel characters have ingratiated themselves with audiences for 2 decades or so.

It's not an impossible endeavor, but it's a taller order.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Fox certainly screwed the pooch when it came to a cohesive film series, but I'd argue that magneto, professor x (both in both incarnations), nightcrawler, mystique, and beast were masterfully cast. There were no faults in Deadpool as well.

I am excited to see what feige can do once he's unleashed with all of these characters.
Fox got a lot wrong with the X-men (Cyclops, Rogue, Storm, Dark Phoenix, etc) but Logan is pretty close to being a perfect movie, imo. I absolutely love it.

Reactions: Darkauron

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
As a stand alone, Days of Future Past rivals any comic book film not named Logan, Endgame, or Infinity War.
X2 is probably my favorite out of the team movies. It’s source material (God Loves, Man Kills) is one of the best X-men stories ever written. Plus Nightcrawler attacking the White House is still one of the best opening scenes of any movie, let alone just comic book movies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Fassbender and McAvoy were absolutely brilliant casting moves and the portrayal of their characters were pretty spot on to the original comic material. For me, the wide end of that spectrum goes to the Mystique character from casting to development. I was never huge on the Jennifer Lawrence casting and thought she did ok at first but got worse with each movie. This probably is largely due to poor writing in which Jennifer’s star took off so the Fox people decided to make Mystique the new Wolverine and force her to be the center of these movies. Lawrence also
Admitted she no longer wanted to be in these movies and very noticeably mailed in her role in the last movie or two to run out her contractual obligation. Overall it goes back to old school comics for me and Mystique should be a villain or perhaps walk the line between the two, but I don’t care for her in the role of leading the X-Men.

Fox gets zero credit for Deadpool for me, as they were just along for the ride. Ryan Reynolds gets 100% kudos here as he was the one that pushed for this series for years and even negotiated creative control so Fox couldn’t screw up his vision which is absolutely perfect. Ryan and his team even had to sneakily “leak” their concept animated video of the car chase scene which caused a stir on the internet and which I think ultimately led to Fox agreeing to go forward with the project.

Reactions: Darkauron

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think Batman is much nearer to James Bond than Thor or Wolverine.

Batman has been played by a dozen(?) guys over the course of the years. All of the actors associated with most Marvel characters have ingratiated themselves with audiences for 2 decades or so.

It's not an impossible endeavor, but it's a taller order.

Agreed, I was more referring to that it's still Bruce Wayne as the main Batman and in the comic realm it's easier to create a member of his Batman group than to create a whole new character that can stand on their own without leaning heavily on a long established character.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
What service are all of you cable cutters using? We're moving and this building has Fios so I'm thinking of getting Fubo since they have MSG. AT&T also has MSG but it's more expensive.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Warner Bros announced that they are releasing all of their 2021 movies on HBO max simultaneously with theater releases.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
What service are all of you cable cutters using? We're moving and this building has Fios so I'm thinking of getting Fubo since they have MSG. AT&T also has MSG but it's more expensive.

Have any of the cable cutters (I don’t blame you) thought about how the whole
net Neutrality thing will change cable cutting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad