Proposal: Conor Garland for Beauvillier and a 2021 2nd round pick

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Garland has the exact same stat line as Barzal. Quite literally the exact same.

Would the Islanders move Barzal for Beauvillier and a 2nd?

You dont really think Barzal and Garland have close to similar value do you? I am not an Isles fan but come on its not really close. Barzal has proven he is a top C who will give you probably 70+ points each year in a defensive system. He scored over a PPG in a more open system. He already did that its not a projection. Garland before this year never hit 40 points and never had more than 17 assists. As someone already stated he has 16 already this year. Your entire valuation is on what he will do not what he has done. I like him as a player but he would have to do it a few years to have similar value as Barzal.

On a side noted. I love when fans say a player will do better on another team. First thats not true, its a complete guess and second NHL Gms aren't going to pay more for players because they have a better team/offense.

Could you imagine that conversation with Tampa, Washington or Colorado.

Armstrong to any of those GMS: "Well Garland is having a career year but don't worry it will continue and only get better. I figure he will be a PPG player on your team because your team is good and we arent. Just ignore the first 115 games of his career and focus on this 32 game streak. I think the fair thing to do is compare him to guys that have put up similar numbers during this hot streak. Did I say hot streak I meant coming out. He is going to be a perennial PPG player. So how about it? You give me a similar package to what a guy like Barzal would get and we got a deal."

Other GM: <CLICK>

Armstrong: Hello? Ah Hello? Anyone there? Great you think about it and call me back....

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
In an Athletic article by the Isles beat writer Arthur Staple a proposal of Bolduc and the Isles 1st for Garland was pretty much laughed at (Yotes fans, we are really high on Bolduc and he's become our best D prospect). Replacing Bolduc with Beau wouldn't move the needle at all.

IF Garland is traded I think a lot of non-Yotes fans are going to be really surprised.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Want Garland? At least offer Pulock. A wing for a wing? WHY? For a 2nd? And how does this improve the Coyotes? This scenario does not do that.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Islanders won't be trading Beauvillier or any lineup regular for Garland. That doesn't help them. It still leaves a hole to fill. If they are trading for Garland, it will be picks or prospects.

I don't see Garland being traded anyway. Makes no sense for AZ. He's a young cost controlled player you build on.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I think Garland is an underrated player whose starting to hit his stride this year. Isles could use some help this year to still go for a cup run without Lee, and Beau sadly had to deal with some injuries this season.

Garland is a PPG player on Arizona and is an RFA at the end of this year, and Arizona already said they're willing to trade him for the right price.

Beauvillier is younger than Garland, so the short term loss for the coyotes is made up with a younger player whose a monster in the playoffs and has been improving each season. They also get a 2nd round pick on top of it.

What do you think? Do we have a deal?

EDIT***** 2021 2nd round pick
Arizona didn’t say anything. Friedman said he talked to someone who gave him the impression that if someone wanted to acquire Garland, the Coyotes might listen. Or something like that, I might have left out a few other hedges, qualifications or degrees of separation.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Islanders won't be trading Beauvillier or any lineup regular for Garland. That doesn't help them. It still leaves a hole to fill. If they are trading for Garland, it will be picks or prospects.

I don't see Garland being traded anyway. Makes no sense for AZ. He's a young cost controlled player you build on.

Dobson + Bellows + 2022 1st?

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
No thanks. Garland is easily Arizona's best forward. Tons of talent and a heart-and-soul player. I'd rather just name him captain and give him an 8 year contract.
8 yr deal is not a good idea. Unless the player is a top end player like McD, LD, MacK GMs have to stop giving out those stupid long term deals to average players or good players. Most of the time they regret them

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
With the delusional asks for Garland in this thread, then GOOD. Keep him.
Delusional asks? Coyotes aren't shopping Garland, so it's about the offers. If not offering a top center or top right handed blue liner, why bother asking. The Coyotes would rather build around Garland. It would be much easier to acquire Keller from the Coyotes.

Reactions: Art.Vandelay

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Make it a 2nd and add a dump like Ladd maybe? Maybe offer Goligoski at max retention to offset Dobson for this playoff run?

All joking aside what would be the required payment for Arizona to take Ladd under the following options:

Deadline trade:

1) Ladd 2.5 years 8mil total 5.5 per yr cap

Offseason trades:

2) Ladd 2 years left 5mil total 5.5 per yr cap

3) Ladd 1 year left 1mil total 5.5 cap hit

Sorokin, Dobson and Wahlstrom are untouchables. Isles will move better roster players before using them to incentivize Ladd’s removal. But picks are free game.

EDIT: Lol, I guess the post I quoted already answered option 1. So just focus on the offseason options.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
All joking aside what would be the required payment for Arizona to take Ladd under the following options:

Deadline trade:

1) Ladd 2.5 years 8mil total 5.5 per yr cap

Offseason trades:

2) Ladd 2 years left 5mil total 5.5 per yr cap

3) Ladd 1 year left 1mil total 5.5 cap hit

Sorokin, Dobson and Wahlstrom are untouchables. Isles will move better roster players before using them to incentivize Ladd’s removal. But picks are free game.

EDIT: Lol, I guess the post I quoted already answered option 1. So just focus on the offseason options.
He’s owed too much real cash I think. Better off with doing Komarov+Hickey and then buying out both. Cheaper.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He’s owed too much real cash I think. Better off with doing Komarov+Hickey and then buying out both. Cheaper.

Likely true regarding something with Komarov and/or Hickey.

But as for “real cash,” option three of Ladd (which would be 2022 offseason) is only one million. Which is substantially cheaper than even Komarov and Hickey with buyouts.

Would a Komarov (full retention this year, 2mil 3hit next year) and a 2021 2nd for an UFA depth d-man work?

EDIT: I’m assuming, but uncertain Isles can retain for one year but not the next. Feel free to correct if I’m wrong.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
You dont really think Barzal and Garland have close to similar value do you? I am not an Isles fan but come on its not really close. Barzal has proven he is a top C who will give you probably 70+ points each year in a defensive system. He scored over a PPG in a more open system. He already did that its not a projection. Garland before this year never hit 40 points and never had more than 17 assists. As someone already stated he has 16 already this year. Your entire valuation is on what he will do not what he has done. I like him as a player but he would have to do it a few years to have similar value as Barzal.

On a side noted. I love when fans say a player will do better on another team. First thats not true, its a complete guess and second NHL Gms aren't going to pay more for players because they have a better team/offense.

Could you imagine that conversation with Tampa, Washington or Colorado.

Armstrong to any of those GMS: "Well Garland is having a career year but don't worry it will continue and only get better. I figure he will be a PPG player on your team because your team is good and we arent. Just ignore the first 115 games of his career and focus on this 32 game streak. I think the fair thing to do is compare him to guys that have put up similar numbers during this hot streak. Did I say hot streak I meant coming out. He is going to be a perennial PPG player. So how about it? You give me a similar package to what a guy like Barzal would get and we got a deal."

Other GM: <CLICK>

Armstrong: Hello? Ah Hello? Anyone there? Great you think about it and call me back....
When did I ever say that?

I know Barzal is worth more than Garland but I was making a point to islanders fan who are trying to steal Arizona's best player for peanuts.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Garland has the exact same stat line as Barzal. Quite literally the exact same.

Would the Islanders move Barzal for Beauvillier and a 2nd?

When did I ever say that?

Maybe when you compared them and said they have the exact same stat line and then asked if the trade proposal value was acceptable for that much better player.....

If your point was the offer was not enough and wanted to show the isles fan what a similar proposal would look like that would make much more sense. Barzal......come on

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Maybe when you compared them and said they have the exact same stat line and then asked if the trade proposal value was acceptable for that much better player.....

If your point was the offer was not enough and wanted to show the isles fan what a similar proposal would look like that would make much more sense. Barzal......come on
No I want to see where I said anything about any player preforming better on another team

Because you went on a 3 paragraph rant about it and I literally never mentioned anything of the sort

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
No I want to see where I said anything about any player preforming better on another team

Because you went on a 3 paragraph rant about it and I literally never mentioned anything of the sort

Settle down I did not write 3 paragraphs about you saying he was going to perform better on a different team. I was trying to wrap my head around the ridiculous logic that you used in trying to convince others a trade package for a far superior player (Barzal) is similar to Garland. It didn't make sense then and to be honest it still doesn't.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Settle down I did not write 3 paragraphs about you saying he was going to perform better on a different team. I was trying to wrap my head around the ridiculous logic that you used in trying to convince others a trade package for a far superior player (Barzal) is similar to Garland. It didn't make sense then and to be honest it still doesn't.
I never said Barzal and Garland were equal in value. Just that they have the same stat line which was meant to shock islander fans into realizing that this isn't a guy who can be had for spare parts.

I am well aware Barzal is the more valuable player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad