Proposal: Conor Garland for Beauvillier and a 2021 2nd round pick

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
No thanks. Garland is easily Arizona's best forward. Tons of talent and a heart-and-soul player. I'd rather just name him captain and give him an 8 year contract.
I watched him in junior On most nights he was the best player on the ice period.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I like OEL fine. But he no longer fits with the core of the team. The Coyotes are in a bizarre position. They've got their 3-4 top prospects all in the AHL (Hayton, Soderstrom, Jenik, and Posvetov) and the main core of their team all on the NHL roster (Keller, Dvorak, Schmalz, Garland, and Chychrun). But none of that adds up to enough to be a good NHL team. They're all fine pieces, but the sum of the parts just isn't enough. And they had no draft picks last year, no first rounder this year, and barely anything in the system outside of the AHL. I think it was dumb not to trade OEL and Kuemper before the last draft, when the negotiations were hot around the league. The team doesn't need anyone older the Garland right now. They need as many teenagers as they can get, though. Because there's nothing coming up.
Well I agree you guys should hold onto Garland but it's not a great strategy to ice a team full of teenagers. You need some veteran leadership to direct the team and provide experience, the Oilers learned that the hard way in 2010-2014

Reactions: Art.Vandelay

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Bad comparison.

Barzal is both (1) more proven in his career and (2) two years younger.
It's not that far off. More proven and younger sure, but also more expensive. Barzal would carry a little more value, but Garland also leads his team offense (in a system that focuses on defense first similar to Barzal)

They are comparable

Last edited:

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
It's not that far off. More proven and younger sure, but also more expensive. Barzal would carry a little more value, but Garland also leads his team offense (in a system that focuses on defense first similar to Barzal)

They aren't far off
I also forgot that Barzal is a center, not a wing. Barzal is also considerably bigger than Garland. It's easy to produce as a smaller wing when facing teams like San Jose and LA. I'd have concerns with Garland's ability to produce versus a team like Boston in the playoffs.

I'm not ragging on Garland, but it's not even close versus Barzal. Their stat lines this season is the only good comparison between the two.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I also forgot that Barzal is a center, not a wing. Barzal is also considerably bigger than Garland. It's easy to produce as a smaller wing when facing teams like San Jose and LA. I'd have concerns with Garland's ability to produce versus a team like Boston in the playoffs.

I'm not ragging on Garland, but it's not even close versus Barzal. Their stat lines this season are the only good comparisons between the two.
There is so much going on here:
Your name is Islesfan, how did you forget Barzal is a center?

How is being a small winger make it easier to produce? And against the California teams of all teams (which have always been some the largest teams in the league)
Sizing up the NHL: 2019-20 NHL teams by age, height, weight and nationality
The west is bigger than the east and it has been for at least the past decade since I started very closely following hockey. East (Pens/Caps in 2016-2018) were some the first cup winning teams to place more emphasis on speed/skill over grit and size.

And Barzal himself is pretty average size, he definitely isn't some bruiser.
Garland is 5'10" 165 and Barzal is 6'0" 187

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It's not dumb. He's peaking in value and the team is years away from competing. A great offer would have to be considered.
I said it was dumb because I was loathed to say "barring an overpay". Yes, of course, the Coyotes should be listening to offers. They suck. No untouchables.

Reactions: RemoAZ

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
There is so much going on here:
Your name is Islesfan, how did you forget Barzal is a center?

How is being a small winger make it easier to produce? And against the California teams of all teams (which have always been some the largest teams in the league)
Sizing up the NHL: 2019-20 NHL teams by age, height, weight and nationality
The west is bigger than the east and it has been for at least the past decade since I started very closely following hockey. East (Pens/Caps in 2016-2018) were some the first cup winning teams to place more emphasis on speed/skill over grit and size.

And Barzal himself is pretty average size, he definitely isn't some bruiser.
Garland is 5'10" 165 and Barzal is 6'0" 187
Are you dumb or just being intentionally obtuse? I forgot to mention Barzal is a center and thus that makes him more valuable than a wing in my original reply to you. I didn't forget that Barzal was a center.

It's easier to produce as a smaller wing against less talented, less physical teams. Which the California teams have been in the past few years.

2 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier is considerably bigger.

To review why comparing Garland's to Barzal's value is dumb:
1. Barzal is two years younger
2. Barzal is a center, not a wing
3. Barzal is more proven over his career
4. Barzal is more proven in the playoffs
5. Barzal is bigger

Hope that helps you understand.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

tunaboy

Dec 22, 2016
As a Buffalo Sabres GM this would be my first target ....give me some Connor lets make a deal !

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I think Garland is an underrated player whose starting to hit his stride this year. Isles could use some help this year to still go for a cup run without Lee, and Beau sadly had to deal with some injuries this season.

Garland is a PPG player on Arizona and is an RFA at the end of this year, and Arizona already said they're willing to trade him for the right price.

Beauvillier is younger than Garland, so the short term loss for the coyotes is made up with a younger player whose a monster in the playoffs and has been improving each season. They also get a 2nd round pick on top of it.

What do you think? Do we have a deal?

EDIT***** 2021 2nd round pick
Arizona has Schmaltz and Dvorak down the middle. I don't think they would want a C in the return for Garland.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Well I agree you guys should hold onto Garland but it's not a great strategy to ice a team full of teenagers. You need some veteran leadership to direct the team and provide experience, the Oilers learned that the hard way in 2010-2014
That's not what I'm suggesting. I'm saying we need to reinvest the trade value these pieces represent into more age-appropriate assets. I would still replace the vets with more vets. Just less valuable ones, is all. :)

rt

May 13, 2004
Arizona has Schmaltz and Dvorak down the middle. I don't think they would want a C in the return for Garland.
I would most definitely want a C in return for Garland. Schmaltz and Dvorak isn't enough. Not even with Hayton and Jenik playing center in Tucson. Defense is the bigger need, though. The Coyotes have OEL and Chychrun in the NHL and Soderstrom in the AHL and no other meaningful defensemen in the entire system.

Reactions: hbk

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Beauvillier doesn't play C anymore, he's a LW at this point. This is basically a "take this downgrade and we'll give you a pick" trade.

Reactions: rt

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think Beauvillier has shown enough in the past that he is a pretty juicy rebound/breakout candidate in 21-22. Obviously this season has not been that “next step” but I’m still rather bullish on him in general.

That said, the Coyotes trading Garland for him and a pick is spinning in place and that’s if Beauvillier breaks out. As it is, he’s another winger and he’s younger but only by just over a year. The Coyotes would need a blue chip marque asset, likely not a winger either to be tempted into a deal - even as Friedman mentioned a Garland deal as a possibility, the fine print was “for a big haul”...one that changes the future trajectory of the team. Beauvillier and a late 1st really doesn’t move the needle like that.

I think they would want a prospect that is league wide seen as a top 20-25 blue chipper back...as far as centers, something in the ilk of Krebs, Newhook, Holloway, McMichael, Tomasino class...I’m not saying any of those prospects’ teams are interested (and please we don’t need to turn this into a prospect ranking argument, just listing “blue chip but not Zegras level” center prospects) just to me that’s the kind of prospect I think they would want coming back for their best forward.

Reactions: Grimes

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Beauvillier has shown enough in the past that he is a pretty juicy rebound/breakout candidate in 21-22. Obviously this season has not been that “next step” but I’m still rather bullish on him in general.

That said, the Coyotes trading Garland for him and a pick is spinning in place and that’s if Beauvillier breaks out. As it is, he’s another winger and he’s younger but only by just over a year. The Coyotes would need a blue chip marque asset, likely not a winger either to be tempted into a deal - even as Friedman mentioned a Garland deal as a possibility, the fine print was “for a big haul”...one that changes the future trajectory of the team. Beauvillier and a late 1st really doesn’t move the needle like that.

I think they would want a prospect that is league wide seen as a top 20-25 blue chipper back...as far as centers, something in the ilk of Krebs, Newhook, Holloway, McMichael, Tomasino class...I’m not saying any of those prospects’ teams are interested (and please we don’t need to turn this into a prospect ranking argument, just listing “blue chip but not Zegras level” center prospects) just to me that’s the kind of prospect I think they would want coming back for their best forward.
Extremely well-stated. Thank you!

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
How is that at all relevant? Seems like you're trying to redirect
And it was for a mid first round pick that turned into 18 year old Barzal

I ask again, would you CURRENTLY move Barzal for someone equivalent to Beauvillier and a 2nd round pick?
Barzal and Garland are different tiers of players imo, I get the point your making but it feels like a bad example

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
As a NYI fan whose been through some of what ARI fans have been through, I don't want my team on the other end of a deal like this purely for purely karmic reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad