Friedman: Conor Garland available?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
So is Demko and Hughes. Will you also trade them too?

Miller is a UFA in 2 years and has high value, Garland has a good contract that some teams might be interested in.

There is really no sense in trading Demko or Hughes or Horvat for that matter as the team is rebuilding not folding.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
He cost Mackinnon $5,000, I'm sure Nathan thought it was worth it though haha

Garland has agitated well against the Avs, but mostly he's been the one on the receiving end of things. :laugh:

chrome-capture-1.gif

06658a26ff49be8d3da835484923cdf1b614c5da.gifv

Dudes small but he's always ready to go into every game like its his last and he's got to fight for it. He's been fun to watch this year as a Canucks fan, he's more than willing to go and battle the biggest guy or the biggest star.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Trading with the Canucks seem less appealing now that they have (supposedly) competent management in place.
Could always try and bend Edmonton over the barrel. I hear they’re looking for a goalie and Defense and their management spends like drunken sailors

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
If Garland's not actively available, odds are that Friedman asked who Vancouver's untouchables are and he wasn't among the likes of Hughes, Pettersson and Podkolzin.

No need to get mad. It's just a trade rumor. Have fun with it.
What makes you think I'm mad? High, yes, mad no.

Reactions: elitepete

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Zacha and 2nd I might do. LD we don't really need. RD we desperately need.

I would do that, Devils second will end up being in the 30s too.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see the Devils throw in a middling forward prospect too to sweeten the pot if they have to.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Vancouver was interested in Zacha or Severson or both for him, I'd definitely be okay with moving them.
I can't see them being overly interested though, unless they think Zacha can play center... He Can't!

To me Vancouver trading with NJ just doesn't me a lot of sense as we have similar organizational needs.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The price essentially starts at a top 10 pick (or equivalent prospect) and a b prospect or 2nd round pick, as that's what the Canucks gave up for OEL and Garland. There is no reason to move him without a great offer though.
We just happen to have an extra top 10 pick and prospects like Foudy or Bemstrom which we can part ways with. I’d personally rather get Garland or JT Miller extended than Chychrun with that pick

Reactions: elitepete

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
We just happen to have an extra top 10 pick and prospects like Foudy or Bemstrom which we can part ways with. I’d personally rather get Garland or JT Miller extended than Chychrun with that pick

The cost of JTM is a bit higher at the moment (equivalent to 3 1sts), but I see a basis for a deal for Garland here. Of course, I am not Jim Rutherford.

Edit: to tailor it a bit more to Vancouver's needs, a RHD or centre prospect would be on the 'WANTED' advertisement, of which you have proposed two centres. I am not too familiar with how these prospects are tracking, so (full disclaimer) I just glanced at their stats. They don't seem to be doing much in the last year or two. Are they stagnating?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the more i think about this, the less it makes sense. we'd be selling fairly low on garland based on his play being much better than his production so far. he's a drink stirrer on a team that has been sucking wind and a lot of his efforts have been wasted. we also badly need drink stirrers even if they are wingers. there's not a chance garland moves if miller moves.

so i think rutherford planted this story when negotiations on miller slowed down to give his dance partners the impression he has other "big trade" options. garland's name is being used because it is less controversial to the local fanbase than horvat, who is the only other big name forward option he has to float.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
the more i think about this, the less it makes sense. we'd be selling fairly low on garland based on his play being much better than his production so far. he's a drink stirrer on a team that has been sucking wind and a lot of his efforts have been wasted. we also badly need drink stirrers even if they are wingers. there's not a chance garland moves if miller moves.

so i think rutherford planted this story when negotiations on miller slowed down to give his dance partners the impression he has other "big trade" options. garland's name is being used because it is less controversial to the local fanbase than horvat, who is the only other big name forward option he has to float.

If it's anything more than one of the teams interested in Miller doing some due diligence about Garland on the side, I'd be completely surprised.

Meanwhile of course the Canucks are going to listen on the off chance some team feels they are a Garland away and don't like having first round picks and top prospects burning a hole in their pocket

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If it's anything more than one of the teams interested in Miller doing some due diligence about Garland on the side, I'd be completely surprised.

Meanwhile of course the Canucks are going to listen on the off chance some team feels they are a Garland away and don't like having first round picks and top prospects burning a hole in their pocket
JR didn’t acquire any of these guys so there is no attachment. If GMs call about one player the conversation could very well extend to others.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Garland is a good player and Canucks should keep him. Canucks need some size in their top 6 tho to help protect players like Garland. The clip of Landeskog easily tossing his 160lb 5'7 frame on the ice like it was nothing was sad but very Canuck-esque...

Barring massiv overpayment makes no sense to trade Garland, get rid of a plethora of other players first!

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Vancouver was interested in Zacha or Severson or both for him, I'd definitely be okay with moving them.
I can't see them being overly interested though, unless they think Zacha can play center... He Can't!

To me Vancouver trading with NJ just doesn't me a lot of sense as we have similar organizational needs.
Zacha + sure.
Severson, Devs would try and resign first.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
My feeling on that has always been the same. If we were to trade Severson for Garland, we already made the decision that we aren't resigning him.
Very true, but wouldn't they try and take the return from Severson then and replace with another defender? I'd hope so.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Zacha + sure.
Severson, Devs would try and resign first.

My feeling on that has always been the same. If we were to trade Severson for Garland, we already made the decision that we aren't resigning him.

If it's Severson, Canucks would probably rather it be Boeser on our side considering they have sort of similar "up in the air" contract situations.

Reactions: Forge

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes