Friedman: Conor Garland available?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I look at the trade last year and I see it looking like Garland for a 9th.
Now you know he can produce on whichever top-6 configuration you throw him into, and I think his value is at least the same.
A 9th-overall pick should be an impact roster player. An equivalent drafted prospect has to be considered as well. But I think if you're getting more than that for him, it's due to the deadline effect for teams with playoff aspirations.
Something equivalent to a 9th overall pick + another asset (pick or prospect) probably gets it done for Garland, BUT considering the Canucks don't really have to trade them, I think they can play hardball if there are multiple suitors. Garland doesn't have a NTC so they're probably talking to 16-20 teams.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Now you know he can produce on whichever top-6 configuration you throw him into, and I think his value is at least the same.
A 9th-overall pick should be an impact roster player. An equivalent drafted prospect has to be considered as well. But I think if you're getting more than that for him, it's due to the deadline effect for teams with playoff aspirations.
Something equivalent to a 9th overall pick + another asset (pick or prospect) probably gets it done for Garland, BUT considering the Canucks don't really have to trade them, I think they can play hardball if there are multiple suitors. Garland doesn't have a NTC so they're probably talking to 16-20 teams.
Garland has 24 points in 39 games. How many GMs would be ready to trade their top 10 pick + another asset for that kind of winger? I'm pretty sure that the Canucks get a first round pick + prospect, but the pick is probably somewhere between 15–30th overall (more likely between 20–30).

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
If I’m the Avs I’d trade 2023 1st + Barron + Compher/Jost (for cap space) + Kaut (who is NHL ready).

He’d fit the system and were likely losing 2 of Burakovsky, Nuke, and Kadri next year.

This seems fair to me

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
If I’m the Avs I’d trade 2023 1st + Barron + Compher/Jost (for cap space) + Kaut (who is NHL ready).

He’d fit the system and were likely losing 2 of Burakovsky, Nuke, and Kadri next year.

Yeah I'd do it. I wouldn't feel good about it, but it's definitely a good deal

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Garland has 24 points in 39 games. How many GMs would be ready to trade their top 10 pick + another asset for that kind of winger? I'm pretty sure that the Canucks get a first round pick + prospect, but the pick is probably somewhere between 15–30th overall (more likely between 20–30).
Consider if you watch Garland play, he generates a lot of offense from the wing, especially impressive when Pettersson and Horvat have been ice cold for large swathes of the season. You have to respect Garland's ability to contribute on teams which have not been (and currently do not project to be) playoff-bound.
My main criticism of Garland is that he has been very quiet recently - only 2 points in his last 9 games going back to mid-December. He was one of the players out on COVID protocol and the Canucks seemed to have simmered off in general over since coming back from the COVID break post-Christmas. I think Garland finishes the year with a better point rate than we currently see. Expect him to hit the ground running if he moves to a new team, too.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
He is also producing yet again, on a new team, showing that he will continue to produce with a new team. With OEL not being tied to him, and the contract uncertainty gone, I feel his value should be higher.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

The trade value in a vacuum probably isn't far off, but Sakic will probably look at that as paying a 1st + Barron + Kaut to upgrade from Compher to Garland, and although Garland is clearly the superior player I doubt Sakic would want to pay the price for that upgrade considering that Compher's production this season (16 points in 30 games) isn't miles off the pace compared to Garland's 24 points in 39 games.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

Not sure if other Avs fans would agree or most importang GM Sakic but that is a no brainer move in my opinion from the Canucks side of things!

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Trading him makes little sense to me. He's the exact sort of player that teams covet. Cost controlled, signed to term, and a producer at 5 on 5.

It would have to be an exceptional return I think.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

dman34

May 6, 2011
Cliches. Skill is what wins Stanley Cups. We need to keep Garland, he makes things happen at even strength and has been our best player easily 5-on-5 imo. Boeser can go in place of Garland.

I get it. But you need to balance skill with size and speed too.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I am a massive fan of Garland and what he brings to a team. I’ve wanted him on the leafs for a while.

What would he have to add to Amirov? 2022 2nd?
Lmao. Funny.
It'll be just as entertaining as the Lundquist, Barron, Robertson, late 1st, conditional 2nd's coming from the Rangers side.
For Miller alone?
Oh man. He is exactly what the Flames need. I would offer Valamaki, Conner Zary, 2022 1st rd pick, and Pitlick for cap reasons.
This offer is... ok. Not amazing but better than Amirov and a 2nd lol.
rather get Garland for less than the cost of Miller

Kravtsov and a 2nd
Lol good one. More like Schneider + 1st
Something around Garland and Miller for Lafreniere?
Maybe if the Rangers throw in multiple 1sts
How about Coyotes trade Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, and a first for Garland? Canucks have to keep OEL.
Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Arizona unprotected 1st for Garland. Deal.
Kapanen is younger and cheaper. Way worse, but like I said, younger and cheaper (and not even all that younger/cheaper either). Throw a Poulin on top of him and lets get this done Jimbo (new Jimbo)
Sutter and Hamonic for Krapanen because Burke
I think if I’m the Devils, I would try to include prospects rather than a first. We have an excess of young prospects and soon to be no room to play them.

With how strong Utica has started, they’d probably get good value out of some of them too.
Holtz?
It would be pretty stupid to trade their first round pick for Garland. Yes, it would be top 10 protected, but I'm not surprised if they suck next year too. It would be a big mistake to trade a top 10 or even top 5 pick for Garland. He is a good player but not that good. A second line wingers doesn't bring that kind of value back.
Garland would have 1st line production if he got more pp time.
The trade value in a vacuum probably isn't far off, but Sakic will probably look at that as paying a 1st + Barron + Kaut to upgrade from Compher to Garland, and although Garland is clearly the superior player I doubt Sakic would want to pay the price for that upgrade considering that Compher's production this season (16 points in 30 games) isn't miles off the pace compared to Garland's 24 points in 39 games.
Not a bad offer
Garland for Tippet and a 4th round pic
Reinhart for Lockwood and a 4th

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Garland/JT Miller, Boeser, Pettersson and the ghost of Mattias Ohlund for both Hughes Bros.

Heard this from my ass.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Friedman is the new Eklund. He says Garland could be dealt at the trade deadline, then he uses himself as the "inside source" and then starts a rumour that Garland is available.

This guy is a piece of filth.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I wouldn't trade Holtz if I'm the Devils. Devils would likely need to send out a left-handed shooting forward just to make room. Zacha, Kuokkanen, or Johnsson would be the preferred candidates, then add a defender (Smith, Muk, Okhotiuk, Bahl, Walsh, etc.), and balance it out with a pick from there.

Could also see this as an opportunity for both teams to do a F/D swap with picks to balance it out.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I wouldn't trade Holtz if I'm the Devils. Devils would likely need to send out a left-handed shooting forward just to make room. Zacha, Kuokkanen, or Johnsson would be the preferred candidates, then add a defender (Smith, Muk, Okhotiuk, Bahl, Walsh, etc.), and balance it out with a pick from there.

Could also see this as an opportunity for both teams to do a F/D swap with picks to balance it out.
Zacha, Smith + 2022 1st

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I wouldn't be against a Zacha + Smith base. I don't think it's that far off value-wise.

No way Devils trade their 2022 1st for Garland though, it's destined to be top 10, more likely top 5 with how horrendous goaltending is for the Devils this year.
2022 2nd or 2023 1st

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
2022 2nd or 2023 1st

I'd play hardball if I am Fitz, I don't think it needs any extra picks.

If Canucks want to flip Garland for actual NHL players and young players to boot, that's probably the best they're going to get. If they want a bunch of maybes in prospects/picks, they can get that from contending teams.

I could see the Devils being reluctant to add Smith without getting something back too. More likely they would want to include one of the AHL defenders like Bahl or Walsh and add the second than deal Smith.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad