Value of: Connor McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only way he gets traded is if he asks for a trade, which immediately tanks his value. And looking at proposals like the ones listed in this thread, why are the other teams even making those trades? I have yet to see a trade where a team actually improves by adding McDavid with the suggestions being thrown around in here. With the absurd prices that are being mentioned in here, I don't even think a team would want to trade for McDavid.

Reactions: 780il

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
A huge package that may only be possible if lucic and Russell were attached to him.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
McDavid for Karlsson, Stone and a quality forward prospect.

The Oilers are deep at center but lack depth elsewhere. This gives them a bit more depth from their one strong position while remaining strong there.

As far as Ottawa goes, if there's one Karlsson trade that could salvage Melnyk's reputation in Ottawa, this is it.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I absolutely love McDavid. My favorite non-Sabre, and one of my favorite players to watch ever.

I wouldn't trade Eichel + Dahlin for him.

as you shouldnt.The difference between McD -Matthews-Eichael is not a stud winger or a stud d man. McD is a great player no doubt about it but I dont trade two important pieces for him.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
No one takes marketing into account. The player/pick package required to trade might not be worth it but more Mcdavid jerseys would sell then the players he hypothetically is traded for combined.

To an owner needing to drum up interest in sales, season tickets etc you would have to factor that in. Having said that some of those packages are very juicy and I would be tempted.

But I just love Mcdavid. Even when he doesnt get a point his shifts are so entertaining to watch

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
HF Value and REAL value are completly different. But I would not go looking to trade for McDavid, i'll enjoy the Crosby/Malkin years until the bitter end and be sad it's over when they retire, then smile when we get more generational talents. Pens and Oilers that's all we do, maybe not right away but eventually. Hope by that time we will have a Yzerman type of GM fielding a stacked team with lots of cheap players ready to take over when we get pieces to put us over the top, but hopefully with cups.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
McDavid + Russell + Lucic + Talbot

For

Forsberg + Turris + Arvidsson + Josi + Ekholm + Saros + x2 1st Round Picks

Bout the best I can come up with. Nashville tears their club apart basically.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McDavid for Karlsson, Stone and a quality forward prospect.

The Oilers are deep at center but lack depth elsewhere. This gives them a bit more depth from their one strong position while remaining strong there.

As far as Ottawa goes, if there's one Karlsson trade that could salvage Melnyk's reputation in Ottawa, this is it.
Not close for McDavid.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McDavid + Russell + Lucic + Talbot

For

Forsberg + Turris + Arvidsson + Josi + Ekholm + Saros + x2 1st Round Picks

Bout the best I can come up with. Nashville tears their club apart basically.
It would have to be something crazy like this. Not worth it for either team.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Here's the package it would take:

A young 1C
A young 1D
A young 1st line winger
4 1st round picks

I don't think there's many teams in the league that have those assets on hand. If there is, I doubt they'd do it. Not really possible, imo.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Mcdavid is more than just the best hockey player to the city of Edmonton. We've had to watch ****ty hockey teams for so long (Chia is still giving us one lol) and now we've got this incredible player. Mcdavid has brought back the love of hockey in Edmonton. What he is able to do on the ice as well as the impact he has had on growing the game of hockey as well as bringing back the hockey fever that a lot had went away from - this all means that he is truly untradeable. These types of players come around once every decade. When you get them, you hold on tight.

I terms of what I would accept for Mcdavid if for some reason I had to trade him:

Mcdavid + Lucic + Sekera
For
Eichel + Dahlin + Mittelstadt + Risto

Mcdavid + Lucic + Sekera
For
Matthews + Marner + Liljegren + Rielly + 1st

Mcdavid + Lucic + Sekera + Talbot
For
Vasi + Hedman + Kuch + Point

Different values for each ik but I was lookong at the future projection of the younger players

Why would the Sabres do that and weaken their team?

Just so they would have the best player in the league and sell a lot of jersey’s?

Because, make no mistake about it, that trade would kill the Sabres.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Why would the Sabres do that and weaken their team?

Just so they would have the best player in the league and sell a lot of jersey’s?

Because, make no mistake about it, that trade would kill the Sabres.
It definitely would. Any team trading for McDavid would shoot themselves in the foot multiple times. Thats why a Mcdavid trade will never happen. Edmonton wants nothing to do with trading away a generational talent while others team's don't want to get their whole program to be able to sell a lot of tickets and jerseys (the one team that would: Ottawa, doesn't have the pieces.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
It's not a value issue, it's an availability one. That said, his value is being slightly overblown. You'd think he puts a gap of 50 points between him and 2nd place.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Let me try:

Pens: Crosby, Guentzel, Murray, and Sprong.

Toronto: Matthews, Marner, and Gardiner.

Buffalo: Eichel, Dahlen, and Risto.

Montreal: Nothing.

Detroit: Nothing.

Rangers: Nothing

Tampa: Point, Kuch, Serghacev ( sp?), and Vasi.

Dallas: Heiskanen, Seguin, Benn, and a 3rd.

Calgary: Johnny Hockey & Monohan.

LMAO what a horrible trade for Pittsburgh.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I wonder if Toronto could steal Mcdavid away from the oilers when Tavares contract expires like they did with the islanders.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
hes going to want out of dumpster city if the trend stays the same. that is going to be epic watching the mcdavid outta edmonton saga. he def deserves so much more
well it seems Matthews already wants out of Toronto because of the idiot fans, media, management/ownership and zero post season success

Reactions: ivanlwan

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
There's a difference between value and what the team or fanbase values them at.

Let' say McDavid's value is 1, the team and the fanbase will likely start at 1.25 and go up to 2, i.e that Matthews, Rielly, Marner, 1st and Liljegren trade is insane. Matthews and Marner alone are an upgrade on McDavid, Matthews, Marner and Rielly is getting into serious overpayment and throwing in a 1D potential and a 1st, that again is valuing McDavid at a 2. Even if you were to say the difference between Matthews and McDavid is Marner, which is a very odious argument to begin with, there is no +++ to that....

Here are some real offers:
Boston Bruins: Marchand, Bergeron
Buffalo Sabres: Eichel, Risto, Reinhart or Eichel, Dahlin, 2nd
Detroit Red Wings: No package available
Florida Panthers: Barkov, Trocheck
Montreal Canadiens: Weber (max retained), Drouin, Kotka, Mete, Gallagher (very difficult to make this work)
Ottawa Senators: Karlsson (signed), Chabot, Stone
Tampa Bay Lightning: Sergachev, Point, Foote, Stralman, 1st
Toronto Maple Leafs: Matthews, 1st, Liljegren, one of Hyman/Brown/Gardiner or Matthews, Nylander
Carolina Hurricanes: Aho, Hanifin, Teravainen, Faulk
Columbus Blue Jackets: Jones, PLD, 2 2nds
New Jersey Devils: Hall, Hischer, 1st
New York Islanders: Barzal, Leddy, Eberle, 1st
New York Rangers: No package available
Philadelphia Flyers: Giroux, Provorov, 1st
Pittsburgh Penguins: Crosby, Kessel, 1st
Washington Capitals: Ovechkin, Kuznetsov
Chicago Blackhawks: Kane, Debrincat, Keith, 1st
Colorado Avalanche: Mac, Barrie, 1st
Dallas Stars: Seguin, Klingberg
Minnesota Wild: Dumba, Spurgeon, Granlund, 1st